Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineering Internship vs Normal Summer Job

• 22-02-2019 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Wanted to get people's opinions on this. I'm a second year mechanical engineering student looking to get some form of experience or an internship this summer.

Now I did have an internship lined up, but that fell through so I'm on the search again. Some people are telling me I'm putting myself under too much pressure, since my engineering degree has a placement built into third year anyway and I'll get experience that way, and that I should just work my normal job (restaurant), for probably more pay, over the summer and just focus on making money for the upcoming year.

Others have told me that the more internships the better, and that I should try to get an internship with an engineering company for the summer in order to have relevant experience on my CV.

What are people's views on this? How important is it that I get an internship for this summer, given that I have an 8 month placement built into my degree anyway?

(Also, would it be any benefit to get a job "on the line" in a medical device or manufacturing company, or would future employers just dismiss it since it's not "real engineering" work, or is it worth doing just to have a big name on a CV)

Comments

The more relevant experience the better. Plus yes, if you had experience in a manufacturing plant regardless of role, it would help. You could always volunteer for some improvement projects when doing an internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Enjoy your summer, head away and do something different, work in a hotel, pub or just head away on a j1. I did mech eng and worked during the summer in engineering companies and I wouldn't do it again.

Use the time productively to narrow down your choice for work experience. As this will ultimately lead to summer work after your internship finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Both are good options. As someone said above, the more experience the better, but I'd argue that the marginal value of a second or third internship on a CV is relatively small. The biggest advantage from your internships is gaining experience in a variety of roles so you know better what you want to do after you graduate. If working your regular job means you could afford to work fewer hours during the semester, you'll perform better academically, which is also useful in the first job hunt. I'd generally look pretty favourably on a CV with restaurant work - you don't get away with being workshy in that business. Really, neither option is wrong, so don't sweat it too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

(Also, would it be any benefit to get a job "on the line" in a medical device or manufacturing company, or would future employers just dismiss it since it's not "real engineering" work, or is it worth doing just to have a big name on a CV)

If you could get one in a med dev role that would be helpful.

Med dev companies work to a lot of regulations so one of the big things those companies look for is med dev experience, much more so than other fields of end do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

mikhail wrote: »
    Both are good options. As someone said above, the more experience the better, but I'd argue that the marginal value of a second or third internship on a CV is relatively small. The biggest advantage from your internships is gaining experience in a variety of roles so you know better what you want to do after you graduate. If working your regular job means you could afford to work fewer hours during the semester, you'll perform better academically, which is also useful in the first job hunt. I'd generally look pretty favourably on a CV with restaurant work - you don't get away with being workshy in that business. Really, neither option is wrong, so don't sweat it too much.

I'd agree on the financial point. If the OP will struggle for money next year, it makes sense to take the whatever the best-paying job is, regardless of role. What you do in 2nd year isn't critical when you're looking for a graduate job.

However, if there's little in the difference then I'd do an internship. Real engineering work and college are sufficiently different that it won't feel like an extension to your course over the summer. If you can get experience and keep the bills paid, all the better.

Working on a manufacturing line is an excellent idea, at least for part of the summer. Seeing how production actually works first-hand is far more valuable than someone in the office just telling you (with their own biases attached).

• Advertisement
Advertisement