Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to benefit the environment...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Panch18 wrote: »
    surely some kind of irony here? No?

Puerile.

My total spread of artificial N for 2019 is 44.5u/ac or 55.75kgN/ha...but you already knew that didn’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think you have mixed up alder and elder there Patsy. Elder is a smelly weed, alder is a tree.

know what u mean about elder but it is one of the first native shrubs to ripen berries so is very good for young irish born birds like thrushes ad blackbirds. there isn't a farm in the country that couldn't have space for a few of them.

on bird cover the cereal component is bullsh1t only for feeding crow rats (which are wildlife to:D) the finches etc want small seeds. I had as good a flock of birds in a patch I harrowed and let the redshank and other arable weeds grow as a plot of "regulation bird cover".

so now I sow minimal amount of wheat, rape or kale and throw in sunflowers(bought bird seed sunflowers) and garden peas beans and swedes the last three for me to eat as I walk through the crop (marrowfats are cheap seed)
    and flower seeds marigolds cosmos phacelia nastscrum stock and anything else that I feel like trying at the time. clovers are worth adding and grass like cocksfoot can be good (gather seeds from roadsides etc ) if leaving in situ for two years .

I had a scourge of docks in the plot left for two years but I got over that when I found small copper butterflies in the field (their caterpillars feed on docks.) the bird cover option should be broadened to include insect cover and a lot less b0ll0cks rules and regulations that are designed to make us spend money and provide rules to be penalised for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    know what u mean about elder but it is one of the first native shrubs to ripen berries so is very good for young irish born birds like thrushes ad blackbirds. there isn't a farm in the country that couldn't have space for a few of them.

Same goes for Ivy - some people hate it, but it provides cover, nector and berries at times of year when little else is about eg. Its in berry right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Ya, that's it. I cut a lot of it aroud here. I've cut it right to the ground and it grows up again mad fast. I try to dry/season it for 2 years before burning. Not the best for firewood but considering how fast it grows, worth cutting all the same.

Do you make elder flower cordial from the flowers and elderberry wine from the berries though before chopping the tree down for firewood? That way you'd have 3 for the price of 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a wee link on the Fairy King, Iubhdan, on the uses of trees.
    http://irisharchaeology.ie/2017/06/trees-and-the-fairy-king-a-poem-from-early-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Muckit wrote: »
    No willow is different tree. Sally in another name for it. It likes wet areas too and will take and thrive on wet ground.

The have to pay their way too though. I'm thinking of an alternative fuel source outside of fossil fuels. The day of the turf is soon at an end and oil as a domestic fuel won't be fair behind it or there will be a domestic carbon tax introduced.

Alder is a tidy lovely looking tree too IMO and grows readily around here (along with birch, willow and ash). It has lovely year round interest.

What I'd be planning would complement the cattle side of things with little work for a lot of positives.

Muckit, do you know if alder or willow could be grown in Leitrim as a substitute for some of the sitka spruce that's causing so much controversy? and if it could would there be any market for it since I suppose it's not going to be turned
    into white deal. I know one argument against the extensive afforestation is that the corporations buying the land are pricing out locals so a change of variety wouldn't solve that issue. But another argument is re monoculture & loss of biodversity and,the sense of being closed in by evergreens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

... Add in good management of ditches with a wide variety of trees/bushes is a big plus, a small bit of coppicing or laying on a rotational basis can go a long way towards keeping a healthy hedge. Lots of old tired whitethorn around getting overran by ivy that would benefit from being rejuvenated.From the beekeepers POV,Hazel, lesser celandine, willow, dandelion, apple/crab, horse chestnut, sycamore, whitethorn, clover, BlackBerry and ivy to finish off the year are the main flowers.

Why plant native trees and shrubs?

For a competitive series of numbers of insect species on various deciduous trees ...

Oak 284
    Willow 266
    Birch 229
    Hawthorn 149
    Blackthorn 109
    Poplar 97
    Apple 93
    Alder 90
    Elm 82
    Hazel 73
    Beech 64
    Ash 41
    Holly 7

Ref: Planting Native Trees and Shrubs. Beckett, K., Beckettt, G.

Just a wee link on the Fairy King, Iubhdan, on the uses of trees.
    http://irisharchaeology.ie/2017/06/trees-and-the-fairy-king-a-poem-from-early-ireland/

Poem on the clearances of woodland after rebellion ...

Cad a dheanfaimid feasta gan adhmad?

What will we do now for timber
    With the last of the woods laid low?
    Theres no talk of Cill Cais or its household
    And it's bell will be struck no more
    The dwelling house where lived the good lady
    Most honoured and joyous of women
    Earls made their way over the wave there
    And the sweet Mass once was said

Duck's voices nor geese do I hear there
    Nor the eagles cry over the bay
    Nor even the bees in their labour
    Brining honey and wax to us all
    No birdsong there, sweet and delightful
    As we watch the sun go down
    Nor cuckoo on top of the branches
    Settling the world to rest

A mist on the boughs is descending
    Neither daylight nor sun can clear
    A stain from the sky descending
    and the waters receding away
    No hazel nor holly nor berry
    but boulders and bare stone heaps
    Not a branch in our neighbourly haggard
    And the game all scattered and gone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Do you make elder flower cordial from the flowers and elderberry wine from the berries though before chopping the tree down for firewood? That way you'd have 3 for the price of 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X18mUlDddCc

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

The Pussy Willow trees(goat/grey) have one of highest pollen counts of any plant. Can't find the reference but I think it's in the top 5. There is an old pussy willow Grove on my place and during summer it is amazing to see and hear the amount of bees.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

80sDiesel wrote: »
    The Willow tree(pussy Willow) has one of highest pollen counts of any plant. Can't find the reference but I think it's in the top 5. There is an old pussy willow Grove on my place and during summer it is amazing to see and hear the amount of bees.

Yea.
    Loads of bees early in the season when there isn’t much else about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

gozunda wrote: »
    Poem on the clearances of woodland after rebellion ...

Cad a dheanfaimid feasta gan adhmad?

What will we do now for timber
    With the last of the woods laid low?
    Theres no talk of Cill Cais or its household
    And it's bell will be struck no more
    The dwelling house where lived the good lady
    Most honoured and joyous of women
    Earls made their way over the wave there
    And the sweet Mass once was said

Duck's voices nor geese do I hear there
    Nor the eagles cry over the bay
    Nor even the bees in their labour
    Brining honey and wax to us all
    No birdsong there, sweet and delightful
    As we watch the sun go down
    Nor cuckoo on top of the branches
    Settling the world to rest

A mist on the boughs is descending
    Neither daylight nor sun can clear
    A stain from the sky descending
    and the waters receding away
    No hazel nor holly nor berry
    but boulders and bare stone heaps
    Not a branch in our neighbourly haggard
    And the game all scattered and gone

I'm no history buff but was this not symbolism rather than talking about actually woods themselves? Perhaps not.

I remember l was in Junior Cert before l realised that all the stuff we'd been told in National School about the plantations of Laois and Offaly had nothing to do with trees!!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

With regard to the beekeeping -

I wouldn't discourage anybody from keeping bees. I do it because I enjoy it. I'm pretty tired of the number of beekeepers though who think they're "saving the bees".

While keeping honeybees has got a bit trickier over the past decades due to diseases, pesticides, etc, the honeybee is in no way threatened or endangered.

The media and the public are largely unaware of the difference between honeybees and our wild pollinating bees - bumblebees, solitary bees, etc. - so the story gets pretty confused.

Beekeepers keep hives the same way that farmers keep other animals. Some years they will increase their stocks. Sometimes they have to replace losses. All of that can be done with relative ease. Overall in recent years, I believe the number of hives is generally increasing (likely due to honey prices and people "saving the bees"!).

The absolute best thing you can do to "save the bees" is provide habitat and forage.

Check out pollinators.ie for info about the "All Ireland Pollinator Plan". And here's a link to a brochure specifically on actions farmers could take to help out...
    http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Farmland-Actions-to-Help-Pollinators.pdf

It's mostly about finding ways to grow flowers, flowers, more flowers, flowering hedges, flowering shrubs and most importantly, flowering trees.

I'm no history buff but was this not symbolism rather than talking about actually woods themselves? Perhaps not.

I remember l was in Junior Cert before l realised that all the stuff we'd been told in National School about the plantations of Laois and Offaly had nothing to do with trees!!

Afaik (and I'll need to read up on the exact details again) the extant woods were heavily utilised and cleared after the plantation - firstly as a resource and secondandly to reduce the places the irish Tories (outlaws) and woodKerne could hold up in. The clearances of woodland had a greater impact in some areas more than others.

Edit:
    Four major reasons for the destruction of the forests during the 16th and 17th century:

• The removal of hideouts for Irish rebels.
    • A demand for ship-building timber, mainly oak, as England built up its navy.
    • The reconstruction of London after the Great Fire of London in 1666.
    • The making of barrel staves, many of which were exported to France and
    Spain as wine casks.
    Great numbers of ‘undertakers’ – English or Scots planters on forfeited lands who ‘undertook’ certain developments, or acquired a franchise to do so – spread across Ireland through out the sixteenth and seventeenth century felling woodland at an incredible rate. So profitable was timber that it was often the case that the amount for which an estate was bought was recovered in full, thus ‘making the feathers pay for the goose’, as a contemporary phrase puts it.” – Eoin Neeson ‘Woodland in history and culture’ 

See:
    https://www.forestryfocus.ie/forests-woodland/history-of-irish-forestry/forestry-since-tudor-times/

When I was very young, I used to always hear my father say 'Anyone that drives a motorbike would want to get their head examined'. I thought that they had to actually get their head examined by a doctor to make sure their skull was strong enough, in case they fell off the bike.:D
    Now, I was very very young.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

brianmc wrote: »
    With regard to the beekeeping -

I wouldn't discourage anybody from keeping bees. I do it because I enjoy it. I'm pretty tired of the number of beekeepers though who think they're "saving the bees".

While keeping honeybees has got a bit trickier over the past decades due to diseases, pesticides, etc, the honeybee is in no way threatened or endangered.

The media and the public are largely unaware of the difference between honeybees and our wild pollinating bees - bumblebees, solitary bees, etc. - so the story gets pretty confused.

Beekeepers keep hives the same way that farmers keep other animals. Some years they will increase their stocks. Sometimes they have to replace losses. All of that can be done with relative ease. Overall in recent years, I believe the number of hives is generally increasing (likely due to honey prices and people "saving the bees"!).

The absolute best thing you can do to "save the bees" is provide habitat and forage.

Check out pollinators.ie for info about the "All Ireland Pollinator Plan". And here's a link to a brochure specifically on actions farmers could take to help out...
    http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Farmland-Actions-to-Help-Pollinators.pdf

It's mostly about finding ways to grow flowers, flowers, more flowers, flowering hedges, flowering shrubs and most importantly, flowering trees.

Thanks for that pdf. I.am creating a 12 acre traditional haymeadow ( nature santury) and that is an excellent source of info. Good to note that I have most of those wildflowers already in the fields.( Noted last year)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have not used chemical fertiliser in over 13 years with the exception of the requirement for establishing wbc (oats & linseed) for GLAS - ironic :confused:.

Last year I bought 2kgs of phacelia seed and spread them after the linseed. I was delighted to see the variety of insects feeding on the flower heads including different types of bumblebees. This year I've order 4kgs.
    We leave our hedgerows alone except for trimming/flail behind and under the electric fences.
    We have most of the common species of wildlife about but in the last year I haven't seen a rabbit. A neighbour told me that it is due to a herpes type virus that has killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Base price wrote: »
    We have not used chemical fertiliser in over 13 years with the exception of the requirement for establishing wbc (oats & linseed) for GLAS - ironic :confused:.

Last year I bought 2kgs of phacelia seed and spread them after the linseed. I was delighted to see the variety of insects feeding on the flower heads including different types of bumblebees. This year I've order 4kgs.
    We leave our hedgerows alone except for trimming/flail behind and under the electric fences.
    We have most of the common species of wildlife about but in the last year I haven't seen a rabbit. A neighbour told me that it is due to a herpes type virus that has killed them.

13 years - very impressive Base...

What do ye do to maintain soil fertility?

Afaik (and I'll need to read up on the exact details again) the extant woods were heavily utilised and cleared after the plantation - firstly as a resource and secondandly to reduce the places the irish Tories (outlaws) and woodKerne could hold up in. The clearances of woodland had a greater impact in some areas more than others.

Edit:

See:
    https://www.forestryfocus.ie/forests-woodland/history-of-irish-forestry/forestry-since-tudor-times/

I was reading a piece recently that mentioned the severe climate disruptions experienced in Ireland during the 1740's being the final nail in the coffin for our native woodlands as desperate people cut down much of what remained for fuel. Probably sealed the faith of species like the wolf, Red Squirrel(since brough back),Capercaille, Spotted Woodpecker etc. as native species. Interestingly in an era of much hysteria about "climate change" the severe weather events of this time are reckoned to have killed a larger proportion of the population then the "Great" famine of the 1840's!!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I was reading a piece recently that mentioned the severe climate disruptions experienced in Ireland during the 1740's being the final nail in the coffin for our native woodlands as desperate people cut down much of Vegans tak eneed.what remained for fuel. Probably sealed the faith of species like the wolf, Red Squirrel(since brough back),Capercaille, Spotted Woodpecker etc. as native species. Interestingly in an era of much hysteria about "climate change" the severe weather events of this time are reckoned to have killed a larger proportion of the population then the "Great" famine of the 1840's!!

RTE had a programe on that a while back. They got 3 years of rain during that time (mid 1700's). They could tell this from very old tree cross sections. 3 rings very close together. It led to an explosion of cattle numbers afterwards as arable crops failed during that time. Vegans take heed.

• Advertisement

RTE had a programe on that a while back. They got 3 years of rain during that time (mid 1700's). They could tell this from very old tree cross sections. 3 rings very close together. It led to an explosion of cattle numbers afterwards as arable crops failed during that time. Vegans take heed.

Yeah - it must have an incredibly hard time for the populous. 1740 itself was the second coldest winter of the past 500 years to add to the misery!! Rivers like the Thames froze solid with thousands of people attending "Ice Fairs" on it and the many other frozen lakes and rivers. The tower on Cork cathedral was demolished by lightning that year too!!:eek:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I was reading a piece recently that mentioned the severe climate disruptions experienced in Ireland during the 1740's being the final nail in the coffin for our native woodlands as desperate people cut down much of what remained for fuel. Probably sealed the faith of species like the wolf, Red Squirrel(since brough back),Capercaille, Spotted Woodpecker etc. as native species. Interestingly in an era of much hysteria about "climate change" the severe weather events of this time are reckoned to have killed a larger proportion of the population then the "Great" famine of the 1840's!!

Interesting what you said about cutting trees for fuel. On one of the other threads I mentioned an old painting which I was shown recently of a stretch of local road.

The bizarre thing was - I didn't recognise the road at all (this is a very old road btw). The banks on either side were completely devoid of any trees or bushes unlike now. I was told that it was fairly common for the banks to be stripped of wood for fuel. This was in the days before any central heating and with no local turf available.

Makes me think that wildlife and birds had it fairly tough then with so much timber from trees and shrubs taken for burning for cooking and heat. In many places now the hedges are completely overgrown. Bust and boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Interesting what you said about cutting trees for fuel. On one of the other threads I mentioned an old painting which I was shown recently of a stretch of local road.

The bizarre thing was - I didn't recognise the road at all. The banks on either side were completely devoid of any trees or bushes unlike now. I was told that it was fairly common for the banks to be stripped of wood for fuel. This was in the days before any central heating and with no local turf available.

Makes me think that wildlife and birds had it fairly tough then with so much timber from trees and shrubs taken for cooking and burning.
    In many places now hedges are completely overgrown. Bust and boom.

On the bigger estates though field edges were planted roughly 100m in from road edges.
    I'd say God forbid anyone cut down any of their trees.
    Now maybe these were planted since those forestry type courses up in Rathdrum in the mid 1800's. But maybe they were there beforehand.

But even still, the great oak forests in Shillelagh only started to be tackled in 1960's 70's. Having never been touched up to then.
    Here in Wexford good chunks of the Killoughrum forest were still there in the 1900's.
    The story of the country being cleared of trees by those pesky English is not entirely true.

On the bigger estates though field edges were planted roughly 100m in from road edges.
    I'd say God forbid anyone cut down any of their trees.
    Now maybe these were planted since those forestry type courses up in Rathdrum in the mid 1800's. But maybe they were there beforehand.

But even still, the great oak forests in Shillelagh only started to be tackled in 1960's 70's. Having never been touched up to then.
    Here in Wexford good chunks of the Killoughrum forest were still there in the 1900's.
    The story of the country being cleared of trees by those pesky English is not entirely true.

The tress and bushes I was referring to being cut for firewood in the last century would have been on tennanted land and not part of any big demense.

I know in Munster significant areas of native forests disappeared during the 16th & 17th centuries and mostly happened around and after the time of the plantation. The trees were there for the taking and reading up some of the reliable histories of the area that's exactly what happened. As I said it does seem to have varied from place to place. This could have been as a result of different demographics. Much of the later plantation interestingly was not huge landowners but divided and given as pay to the English soldiers who were brought over here to fight. Some sold up their lots to commercial 'companies' or middlemen who took what they could to make a profit and consolidated it to sell on.

Take a read of Shell Guide to the Irish Landscape written by Frank Mitchell of TCD. Interesting detail on what happened in different areas.

Period post 1584
    the plantation ...throw the woods of Munster at the mercy of the new entrepreneurs, and the commercial exploitation of forests began in ernest. From the woods a continuous stream of timber flowed out - trunks from large good trees for ships and houses, branches from these trees and smaller trees for barrel staves, and lop and top and all other wood for charcoal for iron and glass works

He details the massive increases in the exportation of staves from Ireland and recorded charcoal burning during this time (based on data in McCracken, Irish Woods)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The amount of forests may have been greatly exaggerated by failed soldiers, planters, spoofers, etc, too.

Screenshot-2019-02-14-23-02-15.png

Screenshot-2019-02-14-23-07-48.png

Taken from A New History of Ireland: Volume III, 1534 to 1691.

The amount of forests may have been greatly exaggerated by failed soldiers, planters, spoofers, etc, too.

https://i.postimg.cc/3w6GtPVr/Screenshot-2019-02-14-23-02-15.png

https://i.postimg.cc/2yXNW73t/Screenshot-2019-02-14-23-07-48.png

Taken from A New History of Ireland: Volume III, 1534 to 1691.

Yeah I think what that is saying is that some contemporary stories from various boyos can be taken with a pinch of salt. The data of the map you included comes from McCracken (who I mention above) "Irish Woods" which used State records of imports and exports and licences for charcoal burning along with the various plantation surveys to give a more reliable picture of woodlands and woodland clearances following the plantations. By 1600 there had already been some significant clearing of woodland. It states above that about one eight of the country was covered with native woodland in 1600 which was cleared down to about one fiftieth native woodland in 1800

As detailed there were huge regional differences in Woodlands and it was not all cleared in one go either as your example of Wicklow.

The full reference for that's
    McCracken, Eileen. Irish Woods since Tudor times. Interesting reading.

13 years - very impressive Base...

What do ye do to maintain soil fertility?
    We have dry bedded sheds for calves (straw) along with a 370k slurry lagoon for older cattle. The dung from the sheds and slurry are spread on the fields. Its a simple enough operation.

Yesterday I received my order of 4kgs of phacelia seed but I also included 5kgs of buckwheat seed. A beekeeper friend suggested including buckwheat seed as pollinators and bumblebees/honey bees love it. These seeds will be sown in our GLAS wbc along with oats and linseed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Yesterday I received my order of 4kgs of phacelia seed but I also included 5kgs of buckwheat seed. A beekeeper friend suggested including buckwheat seed as pollinators and bumblebees/honey bees love it. These seeds will be sown in our GLAS wbc along with oats and linseed.

Was it an internet based company you ordered from Base, if you don’t mind me asking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

On one of the English farming programmes during teh week (and there was loads of them) one of the farmers was regularily putting a handfull of wild flower seeds on the mineral licks, I thought it was a lovely idea.
    It has to be said that they were stocking at about 1lu to ten acres

Advertisement