Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Site WW / Mafia Games Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Also she was too powerful so she had to go
    So she did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tigger WW

me and keithy won our game btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tigger WW

So there was gonna be a show down between myself and Petr and Keith and Necro in game 4 of the international hydra game.
    I think it starts on the 28th it’s 36/12 format so no real restrictions on people being able to get a few posts in
    However Pter doesn’t want to play anymore so before I take a sub from the approved list on Mafia dose anyone want to avail of this once in a lifetime opportunity ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

2 out of 2 wins off site yay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote:
    2 out of 2 wins off site yay

Just the 1 for me but what a stomp on the wolves it was :D

Day 2 win, 2 wolves lynched and the final one conceded!

Thingyman wrote:
    Hi there!

It's time for Season 6 of the Mafia Championship*. I was hoping you might be willing to help me get the word out to your fellow community members and maybe oversee the nomination process and such? I will of course check in as regularly as I can to answer any questions

The invitation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E9x7nJkSPmv1ZtSKFdSmLsvD4DQoX13i2MA9VG5p4W4/edit

The invitation (bbcode version): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QEJwZulKKsEH9QjL0bGmq8BqYxkxCUG6-geM9MighfM/edit

Your help would be greatly appreciated <3

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 6)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.

*please note that the term championship is used very loosely and is not meant to mean championship at all, but the term is more meant to mean fun times and populous voting.

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 6)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 270+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Thingyman as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 187 communities this season (last season featured 170 communities), and if interest is high enough we will expand even further to 204.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 26, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 6 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 187 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • QUALIFIERS: 11 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 11 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd place finishers will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
    • WILDCARDS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 5 will discuss and vote to determine 23 players in total deserving of a second chance. They will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the aforementioned 2nd place finishers that advanced directly to these games. From each game, three players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
    • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 6 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
    This year’s setup: Mad17
    The setup is called Mad17 and features 17 players.

13x Town
    4x Mafia

Each of the following 17 roles will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player's alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart.

mo4usD8.png

Relevant mechanics info
    - Day start
    - Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player's exact role when they die.
    - Majority is not in effect.
    - Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    - Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    - Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
    - Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.
    - Mafia may communicate at any time.
    - Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.
    - Each individual player may make a maximum of 200 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
    - The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 6 TIMELINE

There will be 11 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of April, May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Kind regards,
    Thingyman

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Would you be interested sKeith?

Would anyone else be interested?

If we have 1 candidate, they get picked.

If we have more than 1, lets follow the suggestion and have a democracy vote off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Can we not enter as a boards group? I'd be interested but there's much better players here who should go first.

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Would you be interested sKeith?

Would anyone else be interested?

If we have 1 candidate, they get picked.

If we have more than 1, lets follow the suggestion and have a democracy vote off.

I got to rep last year due to being Necro's backup and getting called up to sub in for a delinquent site.

Happy to do backup again though.

Ugh so they changed nothing from last year. I had my turn anyways so happy for someone else to enter this year.

Wont have the time anyways so fixxxer unless there are others you should give it a rattle!

Whoever does rep us should try and get a game in on MU if they haven't played before.

Just to get a lay of the land and how the site works if nothing else.

My eyes glaze over reading all the bloody posts and each post goes on and on and on. I swear there’s less words in war and peace.

I’m oot. I did like the shooting players bit but that’s not in championship, is it?

its an everybody has a role game, and there are two vigs, who can be randed good or bad, so you will have a 2 in 17 chance of getting 1 bullet to be used on either n2 or n3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've always wondered why the length of war and peace is so contentious. If it was called "biscuits I have nibbled and the aunty's drawing rooms in which I nibbled them" then yes, it's too ****ing long, but war and peace - those are two states that deserve the space to express what they're about.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Can we not enter as a boards group? I'd be interested but there's much better players here who should go first.

How do you mean, enter as a group?

We as a group, find it betweeen ourselves, by wherever means, to discover a player who will be our (boards.ie) champion, who will go over to MU and compete against all the other 186 champions in a series of 17 player games, until 1 player can be crowned 2019 champ.

People nominated so far.

boards.ie Rep

a) fixxxer
    b) Bounty Hunter
    c) Barney

boards.ie backup
    a) fixxxer
    b) Bounty Hunter
    c) Barney
    d) sKeith

Come on people, nominate yourselves or others so we can make a race out of this.
    On april 16th, if we have a race, we make a poll for each job and put it to the group to votec

Well I'm going to be bold here and nominate two names (one to rep and one to sub, in no preferred order):

Stu Redman

and

Lord TSC.

Up to them both if they want to accept or not, but I reckon either or would be a good option.
    Not nominating sKeith or fixxxer as they've already put themselves forward so there's no need, but also have no problems with them repping us :D

Necro wrote: »
    Well I'm going to be bold here and nominate two names (one to rep and one to sub, in no preferred order):

Stu Redman

and

Lord TSC.

Up to them both if they want to accept or not, but I reckon either or would be a good option.
    Not nominating sKeith or fixxxer as they've already put themselves forward so there's no need, but also have no problems with them repping us :D

two name per person is a good idea, an choose from there, that player also has the out option to eject themselves if they don't wish to go for a spot.
    so in the above, i outted myself from main spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh lordy, I really do appreciate the nomination, but I think I'll pass it on to someone.

Reason being, I've developed a habit of feeling a bit burned out right before our games hit here, and while I usually get stoked once our games start, I'd worry participating in an off-site game might actually take away a bit from my enjoyment of playing with the group here. I just don't know if I'd have the energy (and time, work-wise) to do boards.ie justice.

In terms of who I'd offer the chance too, Bounty Hunter and Barney would be two who I'd think would be savage to send.

• Advertisement

Stu Redman

and

Lord TSC.

You're way too kind Necro...or cruel depending on your POV :D Unfortunately my work load would not allow me to commit to the games alone, let alone familiarising myself with MU. As you recommended...

Whoever does rep us should try and get a game in on MU if they haven't played before.

Just to get a lay of the land and how the site works if nothing else.

Even before I read that post, that was the first hurdle which sprung to mind for me...finding the time to learn the MU ropes.

Thanks for the nomination and I would love to do it some year, but I would like to be verse in MU first and unfortunately that hasn't happened yet and won't in time for this year's competition.

In all seriousness, I nominate you Necro. You had a lot of fun doing it last year plus you know MU very well. No learning curve for you there, I think our best chance of making a worthwhile contribution to this is to have someone like yourself, sKeith or Fixxxer rep us.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Thingyman

Thank you very much for sharing the invitation, sKeith!

I'll be following along to answer any questions that you guys might have. Would be excited to have Boards.ie represented again this year.
    Ugh so they changed nothing from last year. I had my turn anyways so happy for someone else to enter this year.

Wont have the time anyways so fixxxer unless there are others you should give it a rattle!

We've made a total of 11 changes to the series this year, based on the feedback that we got from the survey. Of course we can't accommodate everyone, but we're trying our best. If there are things you feel severely need changed and you feel they weren't addressed in the survey feedback, hit me up directly, I'm always down to chat. I don't want anyone to feel like we're not open to changes, because each year changes are made, and always for the better - so we know we can improve and we want to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I would love to put myself forward to commit but I don't have the time for an MU game lol.

I'll dip my toes into the next boards.ie game and see how manageable it is first lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Cheers folks, lash me down for the vote for back-up if that's okay. I'm over and back to the States a few times in April and May so might be best for someone else to be the main person.

People nominated so far.

boards.ie Rep
    a) fixxxer
    b) Bounty Hunter

boards.ie backup
    a) fixxxer
    b) Bounty Hunter
    c) Barney
    d) sKeith

Nominations close april 16th,

Then we race the above off with polls.

6 days left.
    If you're not in you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Thingyman

Hey guys. I'm going on vacation next week, so won't be able to check in here. If you guys happen to decide on a representative in that time, they can reach me on Mafia Universe or Discord (Thingyman#6075). I'll then make sure they get the information they need to get prepared :)

Hi Thingymann,

Deadline for selection is 26th,

We / someone, decided to run nominations until 16th, then run a poll, 7 days or less to devine the rep and backup, so we should know by the 23rd, and send them your way by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Been looking in to this on the other site. Sorry to say I think I underestimated the time involved to do it properly. Don't think I can take part in good faith.

• Advertisement

People nominated so far.

boards.ie Rep
    a) sKeith
    b) Bounty Hunter

boards.ie backup
    a) sKeith
    b) Bounty Hunter
    c) Barney

Nominations close april 16th,

Then we race the above off with polls.

With such little representation for rep, i've decided to throw my name in for full rep position, just to keep it a race and not a walk.

Advertisement