Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard to see future in current economic society

• 06-05-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I just wanted to voice my situation as its just so hard living in current times in Ireland.

I am mid 30s and born and lived in Ireland all my life. Educated to postgrad level and have a good 3 years experience working. Recently unemployed and reemployed in the past 2 months.

No work in my home town/towns so I have to commute to Dublin each day. I am struggling to support myself as my job is after tax and with my commuting bill is only allowing me less than 1000 per month to live which in this day and age is madness, but when you have to work its all that was on offer.

Any prospects to be able to consider buying my own house in the past 3 years is very small at even worse at present. I am single, have to live from home with my parents as I cant qualify for a mortgage and no money for rent in Dublin or anywhere else that would sustain on my wages. I am continuously applying for jobs with more money to try accommodate a a somewhat normal income to be able to afford to live and save at the same time be able to plan a future but its impossible.

I am sure I am not the only person in this situation but I wanted to just voice this to the outside world that trying to make ends meet in the present day is very difficult regardless of whether the recession has lifted (debatable)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭TwoOldBoots

I feel for you, but basically in Ireland over the last 30 odd years we have had a massive shift in wealth from the young people to the old. To be honest I don't know why the younger people of Ireland put up with it. Theirs feck all supports for them, one time you could get a first time buyers grant for a house or at least put in for a council house. Now theirs feck all, no social hosing being built, no grants only high taxes and big pension breaks for the high earners

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Doktor infinity

LLAP85 wrote: »
    I just wanted to voice my situation as its just so hard living in current times in Ireland.

I am mid 30s and born and lived in Ireland all my life. Educated to postgrad level and have a good 3 years experience working. Recently unemployed and reemployed in the past 2 months.

No work in my home town/towns so I have to commute to Dublin each day. I am struggling to support myself as my job is after tax and with my commuting bill is only allowing me less than 1000 per month to live which in this day and age is madness, but when you have to work its all that was on offer.

Any prospects to be able to consider buying my own house in the past 3 years is very small at even worse at present. I am single, have to live from home with my parents as I cant qualify for a mortgage and no money for rent in Dublin or anywhere else that would sustain on my wages. I am continuously applying for jobs with more money to try accommodate a a somewhat normal income to be able to afford to live and save at the same time be able to plan a future but its impossible.

I am sure I am not the only person in this situation but I wanted to just voice this to the outside world that trying to make ends meet in the present day is very difficult regardless of whether the recession has lifted (debatable)

Given the level of qualifications you have would you not consider moving to another part of the country where house prices are still reasonable. With that level of education you should be earning enough to afford to buy. To be honest reading your post it shows how bad things actually are here now, despite talk of the end of the recession. Make a positive change while you still can, thats my advice, you can always visit your parents at weekends. I spoke with a senior lecturer in the University of Limerick last year and he told me he would love to move back to Dublin but it was impossible given the cost of living which just keeps rising and is not reflected in what people are earning. The blame game won't undo the damage that was done in this country by greed and corruption, but sometimes its enough to make you tear your hair out, why do we put up with this system that rewards the wealthy and penalises the rest of us. Rant over, best of luck making a better life for yourself.

Advertisement