Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Johnson is the only writer / director who has managed to actually understand what Star Wars is about. Everything else has been a surface level emulation, to varying degrees of success. The Last Jedi on the other hand fully explores what the characters and ideas of the series actually represent beyond mere empty fan service. He understood it far, far better than the vast majority of 'fans' as well, many of whom seem to think the jedi should be nothing more than generic badasses with cool laser swords.

I'd still love to see what he'd do with the series when not tied down to existing characters and story, but given how wonderful Knives Out is I'd be more than happy if he just works away on original projects instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Johnson tried to unshackle the Star Wars mythology from its obsession with icons and Skywalkers. That final shot with the kid & the broom? Spine-tingling as to its possibilities - and that's speaking as someone who hates the Jedi. He latched into that seed that made Star Wars so seductive growing up: that we could be the heroes of our own story, bringing it back to the Joseph Campbell theory.

Cue the fans doing their best Vader NOOOOoooooo...! So Abrams doubled-down on the Fan Service and making it all about the Skywalkers and Palpatines. I'll say it right now - Abrams ruined Star Wars, not Johnson. Even the Mandalorian couldn't resist bringing it back to that damned family - though it's also doing its best to tell more stories in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Relikk wrote: »
    No thanks. It doesn't matter how talented he is outside of Star Wars, he's just not a good fit for it in a lot of peoples eyes as he doesn't understand the universe, its characters, or respect what came before well enough to be given free reign, and I believe Disney would be crazy to let him anywhere near it again. The damage is done.

While this is certainly true of Johnson's 'The Last Jedi', he isn't alone in doing the damage. That was already set in motion by Abrams.

I can't imagine that he'll be let anywhere near Star Wars again. Certainly not from a writing perspective anyway. Outside of Star Wars, his best thing was 'Knives Out', which was the best picture of 2019 as far as I'm concerned. But his grasp of what made Star Wars tick was practically non-existent.

However, I don't believe that he had total control of every element of his script. For instance, if rumours are to be believed, it was Kennedy who insisted on giving Leia her moment, which resulted in that woeful space walk nonsense. And I have no doubt that the interference wasn't just limited to that.

In any case, Disney know that the the VAST majority of fans prefer course corrective stuff like 'The Mandalorian' (flaws and all), to the irreparable destruction that 'The Last Jedi' wrought on the franchise. So there'll be no eagerness to repeat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I can understand both positions. I hated parts of that movie, but I loved others. For example, Yoda telling Luke that they're just books felt right in a way that almost nothing else since Return of the Jedi has. Knives Out restored my opinion of him as a filmmaker, and if I remain pessimistic about his trilogy (if indeed it ever gets made) it's not on account of his role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's kinda weird to say, but one of the things that pleased me about Knives Out was that it was clear Star Wars hadn't "broken" Johnson. He wouldn't have been the first had it been true.

I was a little worried going into it that his time on a divisive blockbuster, one where his creative choices were effectively hanged in public, had cowed him into making a safe, bland film. Thankfully that wasn't the case, Knives Out being a genuinely fantastic film, one that still had the zip and energy I had enjoyed from Johnson's prior work.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's kinda weird to say, but one of the things that pleased me about Knives Out was that it was clear Star Wars hadn't "broken" Johnson. He wouldn't have been the first had it been true.

I was a little worried going into it that his time on a divisive blockbuster, one where his creative choices were effectively hanged in public, had cowed him into making a safe, bland film. Thankfully that wasn't the case, Knives Out being a genuinely fantastic film, one that still had the zip and energy I had enjoyed from Johnson's prior work.

TBH, if Johnson has any sense, he wouldn't want to return to Star Wars at all. He's much better off doing his own thing.

Johnson is the only writer / director who has managed to actually understand what Star Wars is about. Everything else has been a surface level emulation, to varying degrees of success. The Last Jedi on the other hand fully explores what the characters and ideas of the series actually represent beyond mere empty fan service. He understood it far, far better than the vast majority of 'fans' as well, many of whom seem to think the jedi should be nothing more than generic badasses with cool laser swords.

I'd still love to see what he'd do with the series when not tied down to existing characters and story, but given how wonderful Knives Out is I'd be more than happy if he just works away on original projects instead.

Yep think it and Rogue One were the best of the new lot of films. The Rise of Skywalker ended up the worst, just a disjointed mess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Rogue One was so spot on from a SW universe perspective, so it's a pity Gareth Edwards isn't in the picture anymore.

Dades wrote: »
    Rogue One was so spot on from a SW universe perspective, so it's a pity Gareth Edwards isn't in the picture anymore.

He hasn't been back because apparently there were loads of reshoots, not helmed by Edwards. I can't remember specifics and too lazy to search but IIRC Disney weren't happy he overran or somesuch, basically getting someone else to helm reshoots. I think you can see it in the trailers, which feature a lot of material not seen in the final film.

Now, the film I want to see, and I know it "exists" in some way shape or form 'cos Ron Howard supposedly reshot ~80% of it ... is the Lord & Miller cut of Solo.

If the Synder Cut can happen, then release the Lord and Miller cut Disney, you cowards lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm still amazed the
    Darth Vader
    scene at the end of Rogue One was well-regarded - that was so obviously tacked on as a bit of cheap fan service, and didn't fit with the rest of the movie at all. Felt the same about a
    certain cameo
    in the Mandalorian, although that at least had a bit of tension and build-up to it even when the big reveal was ruined by iffy CGI :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

He hasn't been back because apparently there were loads of reshoots, not helmed by Edwards. I can't remember specifics and too lazy to search but IIRC Disney weren't happy he overran or somesuch, basically getting someone else to helm reshoots. I think you can see it in the trailers, which feature a lot of material not seen in the final film.

Now, the film I want to see, and I know it "exists" in some way shape or form 'cos Ron Howard supposedly reshot ~80% of it ... is the Lord & Miller cut of Solo.

If the Synder Cut can happen, then release the Lord and Miller cut Disney, you cowards lol :D

Tony Gilroy wasn't it, and apparently he didn't have good things to say. In this scenario can the blame be placed on Edwards or is it the fault of the writers/story supervisors?

Given the splendid film we got, and Disney's subsequent record of owning the SW universe, I know who I think deserves most of the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

mikhail wrote: »
    I can understand both positions. I hated parts of that movie, but I loved others. For example, Yoda telling Luke that they're just books felt right in a way that almost nothing else since Return of the Jedi has. Knives Out restored my opinion of him as a filmmaker, and if I remain pessimistic about his trilogy (if indeed it ever gets made) it's not on account of his role.

I feel like that about all 3 movies. Ide love a Rey and Kylo supercut that takes out all the space chases and camel thingy chases and all the side show Finn and Po stuff in Rise.

Rey being no one was the best part of all 3 movies and as much as I love Palpatine her being one was the biggest failing of the 3 movies

For my money Edwards is the only Disney hired director that got what made the original films so popular in the first place.

My understanding of it is he got shunted to the effects dept. to oversee the space battle, while Tony Gilroy basically reshot what happened on land. Edwards' vision for the land battle was more akin to a 'Saving Private Ryan' scenario, where everyone dies on the beach and much of it was shot handheld.

The execs at Disney weren't too enamoured with that. So some reshoots were worked out. There was also some added "humour", more than likely in the shape of the robot making funny remarks.

In the end, the audience probably got the best of both worlds, because 'Rogue One' remains the best Star Wars film since the 80's and will probably stay that way for a while.

I hope Edwards' career hasn't been too damaged by his experience with Disney and looking at the haphazard way that Disney's approach is to directors, I'm surprised that anyone would sign up to do a picture with them.

I'm still amazed the
    Darth Vader
    scene at the end of Rogue One was well-regarded - that was so obviously tacked on as a bit of cheap fan service, and didn't fit with the rest of the movie at all. Felt the same about a
    certain cameo
    in the Mandalorian, although that at least had a bit of tension and build-up to it even when the big reveal was ruined by iffy CGI :pac:

Well, there's good fan service and bad fan service. I would say that the
    Vader scene at the end of 'Rogue One'
    was good fan service, as it demonstrated just why
    Vader was so feared by people in the Rebellion

A bad fan service example from the same film would be the main characters
    bumping into walrus man and his mate from the 1977 movie, who just happen to be on the same planet that our heroes are at that particular time.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, there's good fan service and bad fan service. I would say that the
    Vader scene at the end of 'Rogue One'
    was good fan service, as it demonstrated just why
    Vader was so feared by people in the Rebellion

A bad fan service example from the same film would be the main characters
    bumping into walrus man and his mate from the 1977 movie, who just happen to be on the same planet that our heroes are at that particular time.

Ya but what you call the bad one is a throw away moment that I forgot almost immediately where as the "good" one has far more potential to be a lingering annoyance and worst of all was the other bits from that scene

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm still amazed the
    Darth Vader
    certain cameo

I feel the complete opposite, I'm constantly amazed at how much even minimal effort to connect movies annoys certain people.

You're right that this scene didn't fit exactly with the rest of the movie but it was never supposed to. It was there to bridge Rogue and the start of the original trilogy and to me they did a great job at it - adding a lot of impact by how quickly their sacrifice sparked the events that flowed through the OT.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya but what you call the bad one is a throw away moment that I forgot almost immediately where as the "good" one has far more potential to be a lingering annoyance and worst of all was the other bits from that scene

Can't say I experienced any "lingering annoyance" with that scene at all and I have a very short area of forgiveness where fan service is concerned. The scene made sense, even if it was there to give fans some
    Vader action

Also, why are we censoring this anyway, there can't be many people left who don't know about it. :pac:

In any case, I dislike most of all, the cheapness of a fan service moment. But I don't feel that way about the
    Vader hallway scene
    . Whereas the fan service moments that were delivered in 'The Rise of Skywalker' broke the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Can't say I experienced any "lingering annoyance" with that scene at all and I have a very short area of forgiveness where fan service is concerned. The scene made sense, even if it was there to give fans some
    Vader action

Also, why are we censoring this anyway, there can't be many people left who don't know about it. :pac:

In any case, I dislike most of all, the cheapness of a fan service moment. But I don't feel that way about the
    Vader hallway scene
    . Whereas the fan service moments that were delivered in 'The Rise of Skywalker' broke the meter.

What?! So Chewie finally getting his medal didn't reduce you to bits, and fill that gaping hole inside you!?!?!?! :pac:

What a pile of bantha poodoo Rise of Skywalker was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can get away with things at the end of a movie that you can't get away with at any other point. Provided of course that the viewer was on board with everything that preceded it. Blatant fan service though that scene in Rogue One may be, I think that's why it works. Same for that other scene at the end of season 2 of The Mandalorian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think they get away with that scene because it is a great moment for the character. They took
    a villain who had been somewhat overexposed in everything from the prequels to pop culture and let us see him again from the perspective of a regular character, and he's terrifying.
    Is it fan service? Yes. Does it matter? Not a jot if it works in terms of plot and character, and this did.

I, too, am looking forward to seeing what Edwards does next, even if I am forever mixing him up with Gareth Evans. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Why are people spoiler tagging Rogue One when it has been out for years?

I remember hearing during the production how there was going to be a bit of Vader where he does some "bad-ass" stuff we've not seen from him in the previous movies. After the film came out they then said this was last minute addition which was strange as I'd heard leaks about it midway through production.

I still think Rogue One is not a great movie, but solid action in the final act is what gets me through it. The re-shot stuff sticks out like a sore thumb to me, did from the very first time I saw it, and for such a simple plot they really trip over themselves. A little niggle of mine is how much they constantly say the new character names. Saw Guerrera, Galen Erso, Jin Erso... they must say each about twenty times. I'm amazed they don't have John Boyega come in shouting the names after them in each scene.

Sorry for the rant :)
    I hope Edwards' career hasn't been too damaged by his experience with Disney and looking at the haphazard way that Disney's approach is to directors, I'm surprised that anyone would sign up to do a picture with them.

During the promotional tours for the film Gareth looked happy out every time. Compared to JJ on RoS who looked like he couldn't care less at that stage and barely mustered up any enthusiasm. Maybe Gareth might have other feelings kept inside but I'd say he would work with them again if they wanted him. If all he is good for is creating the battles then I'd like to see him get involved in making more of them while someone else directs the movie.

If you didn't get a kick out of Vader mowing down a bunch of rebels you were never a 8 year in awe at the most bas-ass guy in movies.

I also unashamedly got a kick out of recognising Walrus-guy. :pac:

If you didn't get a kick out of Vader mowing down a bunch of rebels you were never a 8 year in awe at the most bas-ass guy in movies.

I also unashamedly got a kick out of recognising Walrus-guy. :pac:

I never found Vader all that scary or badass. Palpatine and Tarkin seemed much more creepy and evil

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Obi-Wan has started filming Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Moses Ingram, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell and Benny Safdie have all joined the cast.

Uncle Ben is back.

ObiWanKenobi_CastingAnnounce.jpg?w=1024

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Simone Kessell had to be in Star Wars with that surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

You gotta love the hype for a new show when they announce the cast like this, then you see the show and half of them will be lucky to have more than two lines.

Bonnie Piese's headshot makes her look like Amy Poehler; while Nanjiani's in high demand ATM, I'd take a guess his will be a voice role, for either a droid or CGI alien.

Still utterly apathetic about this, Solo[*] and the prequels completely blew out any interest I have for an Obi-Wan prequel.

[*] #releasethelordandmillercut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Bad Batch.

Advertisement