Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time scuba, weak swimmer

Options
  • 12-01-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭

So I'm going on holidays to Malta in May and would love to go scuba diving. The problem is, I'm not a strong swimmer.

I've only recently learned how to swim. What level do i need to get to in order to scuba? I assume there are some sort of tests to do before they let you out? I have 4/5 months until the trip, is it possible to get to an adequate standard in this time frame? If so what should i be focusing on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

Guffy wrote: »
    So I'm going on holidays to Malta in May and would love to go scuba diving. The problem is, I'm not a strong swimmer.

I've only recently learned how to swim. What level do i need to get to in order to scuba? I assume there are some sort of tests to do before they let you out? I have 4/5 months until the trip, is it possible to get to an adequate standard in this time frame? If so what should i be focusing on?

You don't have to be a strong swimmer the PADI requirements are to be able to swim 200m (8 lengths of the average Irish pool) without stopping/holding on, there's no time limit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

As said above, PADI look for 200m swimming but you can do it in a wetsuit which'll help you float immensely and make the swim easier.

Actual swimming while diving isn't really necessary, you do need to be relatively fit, but underwater between wetsuit, tank and bcd you actually need weights on to make you sink. So the bcd is designed to make you hover, almost weightless underwater. So it's not like swimming, if you stop you drown. Underwater you just kick with your fins, and if you stop you just hover and can rest.

This is especially true as a beginner, and dive master will only bring you somewhere easy and gentle. Later on diving in places with strong currents fitness becomes more and more an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

I am also not a strong swimmer really enjoy scuba. As the others have said - you don't need to be a strong swimmer. I had to swim 200m with full equipment on - which includes a fully inflated BCD so buoyancy will not be an issue for you! You will also be wearing fins. Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Thanks a million guys. Was dreading having to thread water for 5 min or something. I meam i could lie on my back but cant thread at all. Just cant figure it out :

Will work on fitness. 200m without stopping would be a struggle atm but mostly because i haven't learned how to properly take a breath. But it is definitely achievable. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Guffy wrote: »
    Thanks a million guys. Was dreading having to thread water for 5 min or something. I meam i could lie on my back but cant thread at all. Just cant figure it out :

Will work on fitness. 200m without stopping would be a struggle atm but mostly because i haven't learned how to properly take a breath. But it is definitely achievable. Thanks

You don't need to even tread water - you'll be wearing a vest which inflates and deflates as you need (a BCD)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Once you are comfortable in the water you will be grand. If you're planning to just to a dive experience like PADI's DSD then there won't even be a swim test, only for the open water (which I would recommend btw)

I'm a full time dive instructor, feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Advertisement