Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Testicular Cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

thanks balmed out,
    we already have life insurance for our current mortgage (I also had critical illness cover on which I successfully made a claim)
    Our premium has risen slightly but not by much.
    We are in the process of selling our house at the moment and I've been on to the life assurance company and there have been no problems thank god in relation to reassigning the policy to our new mortgage when we take it out (with a different bank)

Just dropping in to say I got my 1 year CT scan results yesterday- all clear!
    Now I only have to get blood tests & chest X-rays every 2 months instead of every month. Amazing how quickly a year can go by

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hi Mark,
    Nice to read your story and to hear your doing well.
    I was hit with it too last February at 25. Instead of mine having a lump, the whole testicle felt very hard . Initially went to the docs on a Monday , radio sound on a wednesday and it was out by friday ( the 13th , unlucky for some aye?)

Thankfully was caught at the early stage and only have had to do the bloods and scans every few months. The numbness in the leg left after about a year ( when the nerves heal ) . Have had a few worrying moments too myself though with odds pains in areas they said to watch but all tests have been clear .

Never bothered with the fakey too , though im younger, I too didn't want the hassle of going in for another op.

I too echo to others that if you notice anything odd down below don't go more than a week without getting it checked. Everything is done professionally and you shouldn't be nervous about doing getting checked out.

All the best going forward Mark, fair play for powering through the chemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is a brilliant thread. Congratulations to the OP and others sharing their recovery!

I know most sites say there is no pain with this sort of cancer but did anybody have any pain warning before getting checked or was it simply a lump on testicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is a brilliant thread. Congratulations to the OP and others sharing their recovery!

I know most sites say there is no pain with this sort of cancer but did anybody have any pain warning before getting checked or was it simply a lump on testicle?

There was a dull ache. I had no lump. The testicle had gotten quite hard but smooth and heavier. I think it was the extra weight caused the ache.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Great thread, thanks for sharing everything Mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Balmed Out wrote: »
    There was a dull ache. I had no lump. The testicle had gotten quite hard but smooth and heavier. I think it was the extra weight caused the ache.

Did an ultrasound confirm it? I've had a dull ache for sometime that comes and goes but anytime I am checked by my GP there is no lump. I've an ultrasound due in December.

Since there is no history of this cancer in my family and I have no lump i presume this is why GPs don't get overly concerned like in my case. I regularly have a sharp pain aswell (not at same time as dull ache) but like I said my GP doesn't feel it's anything to be concerned about. I'm a bit of a worrier so I don't really blame him!

Did an ultrasound confirm it? I've had a dull ache for sometime that comes and goes but anytime I am checked by my GP there is no lump. I've an ultrasound due in December.

Since there is no history of this cancer in my family and I have no lump i presume this is why GPs don't get overly concerned like in my case. I regularly have a sharp pain aswell (not at same time as dull ache) but like I said my GP doesn't feel it's anything to be concerned about. I'm a bit of a worrier so I don't really blame him!

There's lots of more common causes so try not to worry. People write up on the internet about difficult experiences not the banal so google tends to highlight the extreme possibilities.
    For me it was confirmed by an ultrasound. The ache was there all the time and the testicle was very hard, no pain if squeezed etc from what I remember it was close to solid. If your doctor felt cancer was likely then you wouldnt be waiting till December.
    I was (roughly, its 9 years ago) in the doctor on a Monday, ultrasound the Wednesday and operation the next day and it was only on being discharged that I was asked did I have health insurance so I dont believe this was a factor.

For me I had not been felling well for a number of months, lower abdominal pain, small bit of back pain, night sweats. The lump on my testicle was quite small- I found it by accident when I was taking a pee the back of my baby finger hit off my testicle and I had a weird feeling, blood ran cold when I felt the lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Balmed Out wrote: »

Yeah same for me , a dull ache , more noticeable when i was lying in bed when you'd presume everything would be relaxed. I initially thought it was a bang I got while cycling so it was a bit of a shock to know it wasn't from that.

The first thing i noticed was the testicle being larger than usual , but it was when it was harder ( like chestnut hardness ) that i said id go to the doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Drumpot: IMO you need to force the pace here, not your GP, whether you are a worries or not.
    I have a thread here about prostate cancer and one doc I spoke to, once I had the first PSA test that gave rise to concern, told me that he would not have left me have the PSA test without counselling first.....
    I am 3 months or so after surgery and it seems that it may have been delayed a little, with a potential impact on my projected life expectancy based on the post-op pathology.

So December is just too long, IMHO.
    Good luck.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Massive +1 on what calahonda said, you need to force the issue drum, when I went to my gp first he said there was nothing there and nothing to worry about. I wasn't happy with that and went back again, the oncologist told me that even if I had left it a few weeks it could have gone to my lungs or even further as it was an agressive germ cell Tumour. I don't say this to scare you- there is a massive probability that you have nothing to worry about but if you are not reassured force the issue to get further tests/ ultrasound etc
    Take care!
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jacknuig

SOrry to hijack but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Anyway, say four years ago, there's always been a lump on the line of the epididymis. Tender to the touch and I'd say the size of a pea. I never really took notice of this as my parents/ health teacher played it off. I read an article recently that said there should be no lumps on the testicle. Any input from personal experience?

FYI, I'd consider myself to be fairly healthy, 85 kg with a low body fat, active in the gym eat healthy etc. Fairly decent appetite. I'm thinking of going to the doctors this Monday in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

OP, I wish you a speedy recovery.

I also admire your determination to get to the bottom of your concerns. Catching cancer early really does make a whole lot of a difference.

jacknuig wrote: »
    SOrry to hijack but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Anyway, say four years ago, there's always been a lump on the line of the epididymis. Tender to the touch and I'd say the size of a pea. I never really took notice of this as my parents/ health teacher played it off. I read an article recently that said there should be no lumps on the testicle. Any input from personal experience?

FYI, I'd consider myself to be fairly healthy, 85 kg with a low body fat, active in the gym eat healthy etc. Fairly decent appetite. I'm thinking of going to the doctors this Monday in any case.

Hi jack,
    Hope you are well. First and foremost - if you have any doubt in your mind and are worried- make an appointment with your GP. He/she is the only one qualified to assess your situation.
    That being said if the lump/ growth has been there for 4 years and is on your epididymis as opposed to the testicle itself then it is most likely an epididymal cyst. Go to the doc for peace of mind- always better to check these things out. Let us know how u get on.
    Take care
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I know the ladies probably don't post here much but I just wanted to wish Mark and all the other lads here the best of luck with their remission and treatment. I recently had a melanoma removed, early stage, so I kind of know the worry and fear ye are going or went through. Early detection is key and don't be ashamed or embarrassed to ask your gp about something you are unsure of.

Well done for getting things sorted early babygirlz hope all is well with you now

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jacknuig

To carry on from my last post;

I recently got checked for the lump I've had (for years). First of, a few characteristics of the lump: Painful to the touch, somewhat irregular in shape, top in line with the epididymis. I pretty certain it is a cyst.

Anyway, I went to the doctor, she believes it is a cyst too. I had to give a urine sample, she found a somewhat irregular amount of Lymphites I believe. She got a blood test from me, two weeks later it came back all clear. The 'lump' has grown in size since which has got me worried. I'm fairly certain it is a cyst now and hope to deal with it soon, but I've got a few questions just for future reference

1. When Testicular Cancer symptoms references pains in the chest/ belly, are they consistent and sharp pains, short or long in duration etc.?
    2. I've read that TC Lumps are painless for the most part?
    3. In regard to shortness of breath, how easy would it be to lose your breath, like lose your breath walking?

Sorry, these are very vague questions but any input/ advice would be appreciated. It will be great for reference/ know for the future. I've looked online and I haven't really found any useful advice in regard to my questions so sorry if they're bad questions.

Im sure your doctor is correct but these questions are all best for a doctor and not the likes of me.

From my own experience I had a constant dull ache due to extra weight from a uniformly hard testicle, no other pains or breathlessness. I would push for an ultrasound appointment as soon as possible if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Return to your doctor, or get a second opinion with a prepared list of questions and a pen to make notes.
    best of luck.

jacknuig wrote: »
    To carry on from my last post;

I recently got checked for the lump I've had (for years). First of, a few characteristics of the lump: Painful to the touch, somewhat irregular in shape, top in line with the epididymis. I pretty certain it is a cyst.

Anyway, I went to the doctor, she believes it is a cyst too. I had to give a urine sample, she found a somewhat irregular amount of Lymphites I believe. She got a blood test from me, two weeks later it came back all clear. The 'lump' has grown in size since which has got me worried. I'm fairly certain it is a cyst now and hope to deal with it soon, but I've got a few questions just for future reference

1. When Testicular Cancer symptoms references pains in the chest/ belly, are they consistent and sharp pains, short or long in duration etc.?
    2. I've read that TC Lumps are painless for the most part?
    3. In regard to shortness of breath, how easy would it be to lose your breath, like lose your breath walking?

Sorry, these are very vague questions but any input/ advice would be appreciated. It will be great for reference/ know for the future. I've looked online and I haven't really found any useful advice in regard to my questions so sorry if they're bad questions.

Hi jack , hope you are doing ok. As balmedout said the only person who can properly answer your questions is your doctor. I would push for the ultrasound for peace of mind. A testicular cancer lump can be painful or not painful, my referenced pain in my abdomen was a dull ache also- but I believe it could also cause sharp pains possibly.
    With your question on shortness of breath- I'm open to correction but for this to be a symptom of testicular cancer it would have had to spread from the testicle , through the abdomen and into lungs. for this to be the case you would most likely be very very sick by now so try not to worry the chances of this are extraordinarily tiny.

To recap try not to worry -given that you have been seen by a doc and blood tests don't show tumour markers it is 99.9% a cyst.
    Well done for being pro-active on this, do push for an ultrasound if you feel it will give you better peace of mind
    Take care
    Mark

• Advertisement

Hi All,
    just a quick post to update where I'm at,
    My 2nd year of surveillance following the chemo is ending with an appointment next month. Year 3 surveillance starts in September and I'll only have to go to the cancer clinic every 3 months for bloods & x ray (instead of every month in year 1 & every 2nd month in year 2)

Everything is going well and there has been no sign of recurrence to date. The 2 year all clear is a big milestone as the vast majority of all recurrences occur within 2 years of surgery/treatment etc. I also had my annual heart check up last week (because of the possible long term effects of chemo) that was all ok.

Life is good at the moment and long may it continue!

Just a reminder to all the guys- check your balls one a month!

Take care ,
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

[QUOTE=mark_jmc;103465143

I also had my annual heart check up last week (because of the possible long term effects of chemo) that was all ok.

Take care ,
    Mark[/QUOTE]
    Well Done Mark, Just a quick question. Im 9 years cancer free and have never had a heart check. Is this new does anyone know?

Hi pcuser
    well done on the 9 years cancer free!
    I had a bad reaction to my final session of chemo- erratic ecg etc,
    they sent me to the cardiac dept for an angiogram & other tests but all looked ok.
    Because of this as a precaution the cardiac clinic have me scheduled for an annual heart echo & consultation.

Regards,
    mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. Im glad you are doing much better now well done.

hi Guys,
    just a quick drop in to say that I have received the 2 year all clear. All bloods & x rays fine. I now only have surveillance check ups with bloods & x rays every 3 months in year 3. Crazy how fast time goes by. As you can see from my experience if you have surgery and even chemotherapy for testicular cancer you life can go back to normal in a relatively short period of time.
    Also just a quick reminder to all you guys to check your balls

Well done Mark :)

Given that it is Movember I thought I'd pop in and remind all the guys to have a quick check of your balls!
    Remember testicular cancer is highly highly curable and the earlier it is caught the less problematic any potential treatment will be. So any worries / doubts about lumps etc - go to your GP.

On a side note I completed my 10th full marathon 3 weeks ago in Dublin, I had been stuck on 9 and a combination of a lack of motivation and then cancer had kept me from my 'holy grail' of 10 for a while.

This goes to show that even if you are unlucky and get testicular cancer that you can be back to 'normal' fairly quickly.

Take care
    Mark

Well,
    yesterday marked the 3 year anniversary of my surgery so it prompted me to come here to remind all the guys out there to check your balls!
    Any issues or worries pop to your doctor for peace of mind.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I have done since the surgery/chemo etc. It is good reading to remind people that testicular cancer in the vast majority of cases is very straightforward to overcome
    in no particular order since the cancer I :
    • Ran my 10th marathon last October in Dublin
    • Moved back to the home county of Cork after spending 17 years in Limerick
    • Started in my dream job last February- the best paying & most senior of my career to date and what's more- I love it
    • Turning 40 in 2 months time (I'm making this a positive :))
    • Had a great holiday in East coast of America last year with my wife and our friends and their kids
    • Made a bigger effort to try to enjoy life that little bit more

Remember -life goes on after cancer and it can be really good!!

Im in a similar bot to you Mark, In the last 10 years I have

Moved to Kerry.
    Got a better job that I love.
    Started running marathons :)
    Brought the family to FLorida for holidays last year and are bringing them back again this November.

It doesnt take a long time to recover from the chemo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

On a Saturday night about nine years ago, I found a lump on the skin of my scrotum. I freaked out thinking that it was was testicular cancer but through a Google search, I learned that testicular cancer is under the skin, on the testicle itself and not on the skin, like mine was. I was able to calm down after that.

That said, just because Dr Google told me it almost certainly wasn't cancer, I still went to the doctor on Monday morning to get it checked out. The doctor examined me, and she told me it was just a cyst and nothing to worry about. Even though I knew it probably wasn't cancer before going in, I felt a huge sense of relief when she told me that.

There are no stupid questions when it comes to medicine and health. If something is bothering you, testicle related or not, it's worth it to go to the doctor. If it turns out to be nothing, then you've just saved yourself a heap of time spent worrying. If it does turn out to be something, then you've already started on the right path to treating it.

Advertisement