Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSc Software Engineering & Database Technologies (MScSED)

• 11-06-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone done this in NUIG. Id like to do a masters on the IT side of things. I have a level 8 in electronic systems. Any suggestions for me. Distance learning would suit me as I work shift.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

Hey there,

Ever get any info on this as i am also looking for a part time IT degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Obsolete01 wrote: »
    Hey there,

Ever get any info on this as i am also looking for a part time IT degree.

No not much info I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robotron1000

Hi guys,
    I'm attending this course, just starting my 2nd year.
    First of all, I think this is a decent degree if you are already into software development, meaning you're either working in IT or have some basic knowledge. It is not a prerequisite to have any experience, but it really does help because the tempo is very exhausting. My first degree is not in IT, I'm a self-taught developer. Most of the people enrolled usually have a first degree in IT and/or are working in IT. Some have also used this course as a refresher to get back into the workforce after being out of it for awhile, or to simply refresh their knowledge.

I've been working for a year before I enrolled and first year consisted of 60% rehashing and 40% new bits and pieces I didn't know. 2nd year should be more new stuff for me.
    Course goes rather deep on the database side of things (5 out of 10 modules), which is the main reason I enrolled. The literature is great and these are books (ebooks from this year) that I refer to regularly in my workplace.

There are a fair amount of essays, which is a bit foolish, because this is an IT degree, but ok, what can you do. At least the are some interesting topics you can cover through these essays. The degree covers a lot of the basics an IT practitioner should know, except perhaps algorithms, but you can always get a book about that on your own.

The second year also consists of writing a thesis (alongside the regular 5 modules), so it's going to keep me busy. All in all, you should dedicate about 20 hours per week (plus thesis in your 2nd year). You get a reading list each week (1-2 chapters), a discussion topic (participation mandatory) and homework. Most of the modules also had an essay, usually due in Week 7. Each module is 8 weeks long, with the first 7 weeks consisting of lectures, and week 8 is the exam (sometimes there is also an additional chapter to go through).
    You get the exam on Monday (week 8) and you have to turn it in by the end of the week. It seems like a lot, one week for an entire exam, but it isn't. The exams are usually large, consist of essay type questions and practical assignments of considerable size each, so there is no time to waste.

All in all, this course does provide some decent knowledge, especially if you're into databases. I couldn't find such a database orientated course anywhere on the market.

Just to be clear, I don't think having some experience/knowledge about IT is a prerequisite, but it does come in handy. But I guess that is true about any course, so you shouldn't consider it a showstopper for you.

Hope I helped, if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Hi guys,
    I'm attending this course, just starting my 2nd year.
    First of all, I think this is a decent degree if you are already into software development, meaning you're either working in IT or have some basic knowledge. It is not a prerequisite to have any experience, but it really does help because the tempo is very exhausting. My first degree is not in IT, I'm a self-taught developer. Most of the people enrolled usually have a first degree in IT and/or are working in IT. Some have also used this course as a refresher to get back into the workforce after being out of it for awhile, or to simply refresh their knowledge.

I've been working for a year before I enrolled and first year consisted of 60% rehashing and 40% new bits and pieces I didn't know. 2nd year should be more new stuff for me.
    Course goes rather deep on the database side of things (5 out of 10 modules), which is the main reason I enrolled. The literature is great and these are books (ebooks from this year) that I refer to regularly in my workplace.

There are a fair amount of essays, which is a bit foolish, because this is an IT degree, but ok, what can you do. At least the are some interesting topics you can cover through these essays. The degree covers a lot of the basics an IT practitioner should know, except perhaps algorithms, but you can always get a book about that on your own.

The second year also consists of writing a thesis (alongside the regular 5 modules), so it's going to keep me busy. All in all, you should dedicate about 20 hours per week (plus thesis in your 2nd year). You get a reading list each week (1-2 chapters), a discussion topic (participation mandatory) and homework. Most of the modules also had an essay, usually due in Week 7. Each module is 8 weeks long, with the first 7 weeks consisting of lectures, and week 8 is the exam (sometimes there is also an additional chapter to go through).
    You get the exam on Monday (week 8) and you have to turn it in by the end of the week. It seems like a lot, one week for an entire exam, but it isn't. The exams are usually large, consist of essay type questions and practical assignments of considerable size each, so there is no time to waste.

All in all, this course does provide some decent knowledge, especially if you're into databases. I couldn't find such a database orientated course anywhere on the market.

Just to be clear, I don't think having some experience/knowledge about IT is a prerequisite, but it does come in handy. But I guess that is true about any course, so you shouldn't consider it a showstopper for you.

Hope I helped, if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Hi robotron1000, thanks for the writeup! I starting the diploma in software engineering this year as I don't know yet whether to do the MScSED or a masters in software dev next year. Are there many essays in the diploma modules that you might have done? They are fundamentals, ood, oop, distrubuted systems, software engineering.

Also I may drop fundamentals for AI, Real-Time systems or graphics programming, have you done nay of these?

Essays by module:

Fundamentals - skipped this one
    OOP - No
    OOD - Optional module, I'll take this one, but only at the end of this year (Module 4 or 5 in year 2, not sure).
    Distributed systems - same as above
    Software Engineering - did have an essay, we had to come up with a business case and then write a design document for it, along with some other project management related stuff, like work breakdown structures, milestones and timelines. Not a bad essay, a bit vague, but that's nothing strange since the entire module teaches you that SE still has a long way to go to become a proper engineering branch.

As per your questions, I thought of taking these two optional modules I mentioned above (OOD, distributed systems). I like these hands-on modules, AI and GRaphics seem really cool, but I don't think I'll ever need them in my workplace.
    From what I could gather, real-time systems deal only with the theoretical side of things, so I didn't see any point in taking that. It was kind of a let down...

One questions for you: do you guys get books or do they provide you with ebooks this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Essays by module:

Fundamentals - skipped this one
    OOP - No
    OOD - Optional module, I'll take this one, but only at the end of this year (Module 4 or 5 in year 2, not sure).
    Distributed systems - same as above
    Software Engineering - did have an essay, we had to come up with a business case and then write a design document for it, along with some other project management related stuff, like work breakdown structures, milestones and timelines. Not a bad essay, a bit vague, but that's nothing strange since the entire module teaches you that SE still has a long way to go to become a proper engineering branch.

As per your questions, I thought of taking these two optional modules I mentioned above (OOD, distributed systems). I like these hands-on modules, AI and GRaphics seem really cool, but I don't think I'll ever need them in my workplace.
    From what I could gather, real-time systems deal only with the theoretical side of things, so I didn't see any point in taking that. It was kind of a let down...

One questions for you: do you guys get books or do they provide you with ebooks this year?

Thanks for the info! I got an email recently saying fundamentals was first module and had to buy a book for it. I thought they were provided, but I found a pdf version. I would rather physical books but I am not paying 60-100 per book when I am happy enough to use the iPad and desktop to view pdfs.

String wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! I got an email recently saying fundamentals was first module and had to buy a book for it. I thought they were provided, but I found a pdf version. I would rather physical books but I am not paying 60-100 per book when I am happy enough to use the iPad and desktop to view pdfs.

There's a lot of reading to go through, so it might get a bit stressful on your eyes. I recently got an ebook reader, just because of this. I used to read of the monitor, but it would become unpleasant after a while, since these are backlit.

I'm starting this course myself next week. Anyone going to the orientation day on Monday. I found the books needed for around half price 2nd hand on ebay.

@niallo27: Nope, I'm pretty far away, it's not an option for me.
    You starting MSCSED or Diploma?

@niallo27: Nope, I'm pretty far away, it's not an option for me.
    You starting MSCSED or Diploma?

Starting the MSCSED. My degree is in electronics about ten years ago. Hoping to find out what's going on with the course on Monday as if haven't got much info on how it works yet.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Starting the MSCSED. My degree is in electronics about ten years ago. Hoping to find out what's going on with the course on Monday as if haven't got much info on how it works yet.

It's interesting, but all the modules follow the same pattern (at least concerning your obligations), so once you get the hang of it, you'll be ok.

One piece of advice: don't fall behind on your readings. There is no way to compensate once you do, because new stuff just keeps coming. See how much you should go through that week, and assign a certain number of pages to each day.

It's interesting, but all the modules follow the same pattern (at least concerning your obligations), so once you get the hang of it, you'll be ok.

One piece of advice: don't fall behind on your readings. There is no way to compensate once you do, because new stuff just keeps coming. See how much you should go through that week, and assign a certain number of pages to each day.

I work shift so have a good few days off. Which of the optional modules would you reccomend. Cheers for the help by the way.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I work shift so have a good few days off. Which of the optional modules would you reccomend. Cheers for the help by the way.

No problem.
    This will be your starting point for everything, so take a look around:

www.
    nuigalway.ie
    /mscsed/
    student-launchpad/

(Boards.ie doesn't let me post full links, because I'm a new user.)

I decided on Distributed systems and OO Design. I wanted something that can be widely applied in industry. Other optional modules seem a bit too exotic to be of any real use to me, but they might apply better to what you do. Mind you, I skipped Fundamentals of Programming and took Object oriented programming instead, because I already have some experience. Really didn't feel like bothering with basics of C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Biter2000

Hey guys,

I am just wondering how the Diploma in SE was?? was it worth doing??

I am thinking of enrolling in this course, any feedback in it would br great!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Anyone enrolled for this year?
    I just finished Diploma in IT in DCU and will start the MSc in september (got the conditional offer).
    I work already in IT since many years so they accepted me.
    In DCU I did the distance learning too and we organized often study groups online. I found them very helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Biter2000 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am just wondering how the Diploma in SE was?? was it worth doing??

I am thinking of enrolling in this course, any feedback in it would br great!

Thanks

I'm currently on module 4 out of 5 on the diploma in Software Engineering. It's enjoyable, once you get in to the swing of it. I'd consider my work situation though beforehand. i.e how much free time you have a week because it can be intensive, and if you want good grades you may have to put in a lot of hours.

It's not without a few drawbacks, The October start date students this year have been given 8 months straight without a break which is intensive, although I doubt this happens every year. Also, With things like trying to learn multithreaded programming in a week and then 35 percent of the exam the week after being on multithreaded programming the limitations of accelerated learning become apparant.

On a final note, Don't be fooled by the fundamentals of programming title, I was expecting an easy ride. Maybe it's because it was the first module and I was getting used to how the course works, but it's been the hardest module by far...Week one was an assignment of a few lines of code. Week 8 exam involved writing over 700 lines of code with documentation, User manual etc required. Then part 2 of the question wanted you to add extra functions to the system for 30 percent of the marks. Intensive and then some.!!!!

hey coniosumadre :P thanks for your comment.
    Maybe could you point us to something to learn to be ready?
    I got fooled by the fundamentals of programming and thought.. ah .. this will be easy..
    So I might consider to start reading something during the nice summer holidays of only working no studying..
    Any suggestions based on what the course covers?

jsabina wrote: »
    hey coniosumadre :P thanks for your comment.
    Maybe could you point us to something to learn to be ready?
    I got fooled by the fundamentals of programming and thought.. ah .. this will be easy..
    So I might consider to start reading something during the nice summer holidays of only working no studying..
    Any suggestions based on what the course covers?
    Hi,

What subjects will you be doing? I've done fundamentals, software engineering, OOP with Java, and at the moment i'm on OOD. My fifth and final module will be distributed systems. Actually they emailed me recently to see if I want to continue to the Masters, doubt I will though, or at least not this year!. I haven't covered any of the database modules though, so can only advise on the software engineering side.

To be honest I have no idea, but I guess it will start with the fundamentals according to the website.
    I am a bit annoyed that there is more database than software engineering but let's see..

I think for the MSc most of the Software Engineering modules that i'm doing are just options. Certainly if you've done fundamentals in your previous diploma, i'd probably look to pick something else instead. A lot of the database modules are obligatory, then you get to pick and choose the rest. Have a look at the website for your course. All your subject options are available there.

• Advertisement

Year 1 are mandatory, so also foundamentals..
    I haven't done it btw on my diploma, I think..

Core Modules - Year 1
    You must complete all of these core modules.

MCT609 Fundamentals of Programming
    MCT610 Software Engineering (10 Credits)
    MCT611 Computer Architecture and Operating Systems (5 Credits)
    MCT613 Database Architecture (5 Credits)
    MCT614 Database Concepts (5 Credits)

Year 2 are elective.

I was wondering if you had any information / study material from these mandatory modules, I would start studying a bit
    :)
    thanks!

Ah ok...

Well Fundamentals of Programming is with C. What I did and found useful, was the Lynda course Fundamentals of Programming first, It's with Javascript. but it's all the same basis, loops, arrays etc. Of course if cash is tight you don't necessarly have to pay to buy this and it can be obtained by other means (ahem)....
    The book you'll be using for fundamentals is Dietel and Dietel C how to program. it's easily available as a PDF online! Maybe try and download Microsoft visual C ( I used C++ express 2010) and start working on some simple C programs!!

Software engineering will be heavily based on theory, reading and writing, and if you're like me you'll find it as a nice change after 8 weeks of intensive programming. Sommerville Software Engineering is the book to go for there!

Finally!But I think very importantly! save yourself the hassle and get yourself up to speed on APA citation and referencing (if you aren't already) now. I and many others in my course were not, and found it a ball ache at the start. Even your C module will need it as there's weekly discussion topics to take part in, and certain instructors will crucify you in the early weeks if your APA is not up to sctatch. That said these discussion boards account for handy marks in each subject normally about 20 percent.

thanks a lot!
    C?
    Uh.
    I work with PHP and Java and guess I have some fundamentals, but yeap I'll try to read up a bit more (have Lynda through work yuhuuu).

Citation yeah, learnt it in DCU and was a pain for me too in the beginning.. but it was not APA.. Harvard... umpf..

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 USSCork

Hi Jsabina,

Have you joined the 'NUI Galway New Postgraduates 2016' Facebook group?

I'm starting the MScSED at the end of this month and there are a few others on the FB page. At least 2 from Cork(inc me!) and 1 other from Dublin. You should have gotten an e-mail from Valerie, whom you can e-mail back to ask for an invite to the group.

The first module is 'MCT611 Computer Architecture & Operating Systems' and the book is 'Stallings, W. (2013). Computer organization and architecture: Designing for performance (9th ed.)' which I believe is available from the online library once you are registered. (I bought a second hand copy online for €35 though.)

I won't be able to make the Induction day myself, but I'm sure we'll talk again on the module discussion forums in the near future.

Good luck,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭docker.io

Hi All,

I'll be starting the Software Engineering (Diploma) in Oct of this year.

the Fundamentals of Programming is this C or C# from speaking to Majella she stated that it is visual C

what is within the course Distributed Systems is this Java with Spring ?
    and also is the AI Course is this java or python ?

i couldn't find the facebook group for this year

Thanks

Hi Docker,

I believe fundamentals is 'C', not 'C#'. Visual Studio is the recommended IDE and the 'Community' edition is free. Just do a search for a link.

I believe some of the later programming modules are Java, but I don't know about the Distributed Systems or AI modules specifically.

The facebook group is 'Invite only'. You should have received an e-mail from Valerie which contains instructions on how to join.

Best of luck in your studies,

John

Thanks for the reply..

I'll get started on Lynda C training,

USSCork wrote: »
    Hi Docker,

I believe fundamentals is 'C', not 'C#'. Visual Studio is the recommended IDE and the 'Community' edition is free. Just do a search for a link.

I believe some of the later programming modules are Java, but I don't know about the Distributed Systems or AI modules specifically.

The facebook group is 'Invite only'. You should have received an e-mail from Valerie which contains instructions on how to join.

Best of luck in your studies,

John

Hi John last Question... what books are being used for OOP do you know ? i have only filled out my PAC form and submitted it over the weekend so still waiting..

Hi Docker,

The full book list is at the nuigalway.ie site /mscsed/information_vault/view/554/
    (I apparently can't provide a full URL as I'm a 'new member', so join the domain and the location together :) )

For MCT609 Fundamentals of Programming -> C How To Program by Deitel & Deitel. Use the readings from the 6th or the 7th edition.
    For MCT619 Object-Oriented Programming -> Deitel, P. J., & Deitel, H. M. (2012). Java: How to program (9th ed.).

Hope that helps.

John

• Advertisement

Thanks john,

Advertisement