Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Strange request.... but I have an in-law working in Hong Kong and he due to come home in August for a months holidays. Was gonna ask him to source a few replacement masks for me and bring them home in his luggage.

Anyone on here deal with a HK supplier that I can put him in touch with

Told u it was strange!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,719 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Not sure if it’s allowed but I’m selling a CPAP machine. Brand new, never used. Pm me if interested. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JamesDupree

Sorry if this has been asked before; do Revenue accept CPAP as medical appliance for tax relief? (Purchase not rental)

I read the info on Revenue website, cpap isn't listed, though they do say it's not an exhaustive list.

Has anyone here claimed tax relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Sorry if this has been asked before; do Revenue accept CPAP as medical appliance for tax relief? (Purchase not rental)

I read the info on Revenue website, cpap isn't listed, though they do say it's not an exhaustive list.

I haven’t claimed tax relief as I rent a machine (I’m already over the monthly limit for the Drug Payment Scheme so it’s not worth it for me to buy) but it looks like it should be covered so long as you have a prescription/letter from a medical practitioner saying that you need it:
    3.4 Surgical, Dental or Nursing Appliances Relief is allowed on the costs incurred on the:
    • supply,
    • maintenance, or • repair
    of any medical, surgical, dental or nursing appliance used on the advice of a practitioner.
    Appliance Confirmation
    Where there is any doubt that the appliance in question is a medical, surgical, dental or nursing appliance, a certificate from a medical practitioner should be obtained which:
    a) states the nature of the patient's illness,
    b) confirms that the appliance is being used on the advice of a medical
    practitioner, and
    c) outlines how the appliance will help to prevent, diagnose, alleviate or treat
    the ailment, injury, infirmity, defect or disability from which the patient is suffering.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-15/15-01-12.pdf

Got an update on delivery today from cpapstore.eu.

Yes it is shipped from Greece!

Thanks for reassurance, its a big chunk of change & I was starting to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

You should get it for purchase, I get it for rental. With tax back and €200 refund from Laya along with a replacement mask in my agreement it’s effectively cost neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Talking about replacement masks,how often do they have to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,019 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What sort are they? Memory foam ones have to be changed each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

looksee wrote: »
    What sort are they? Memory foam ones have to be changed each month.

I've found that if I clean them carefully, I get a lot more out of them (up to 6 months) with no impact on seal.

What do you use to clean them? I have wiped mine with water wipes but didn't find any improvement. Also I imagine the pressure level would make a difference. I find I need a new one each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

What do you use to clean them? I have wiped mine with water wipes but didn't find any improvement. Also I imagine the pressure level would make a difference. I find I need a new one each month.

I soak em in warm water, squeeze out as much as I can, and let them hang to dry. I think I'm at pressure 12, perhaps if you are a lot higher you need a better seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I fill sink with hot water and put in some some Milton Sterlising fluid... same stuff as used in babies bottles. Then steep mu silicon mask, tubing and straps into same and leave a while. Ten rinse out with cold water and hang to dry

Same with water container.....

After a good deal of argument I have the pressure down to 16, I find I can mostly keep the seal at that level, using the memory foam masks.

wanted to update that my delivery arrived safely today!

I don't want to mention the company by name, but I did try and purchase this from a local supplier here in Ireland; I made three phone calls, asked for more information, and I'm still waiting for a call back from them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,993 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Great specific details discussed in this thread. Useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Supcycle

https://mwmlegal.ie/sleep-apnoea-a-blow-for-sufferers-as-philips-issues-recall/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

I’m affected by this. Had no clue it was an issue. Really annoyed my supplier only told me today months after it became known. So now I have no useable machine and no clue for how long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Hi all

Driving licence up for renewal and I need to declare my sleep apnoea. Has anyone ever had any issues getting a renewal after medical report has been sent. Just worried now it might be an issue or am I over thinking this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Once the doctor gives you a letter to say you are fit to drive, they give you the licence. Just make sure the letter says 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Brilliant thank you for that info. The ten year nugget of info is fantastic tip thanks.

While I'm here. I've been using the machine a year now but I've never really done any research outside of what I was told day 1. Does everyone used "Cooled down boiled water" or bottled water? Never really knew what was best tbh..

I should really do some research

• Advertisement

I dont need a humidifier so cannot assist. Sorry. When you get your licence, it is marked 101, but nobody pays any attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

This completely passed me by and I had an affected machine that I've just replaced. It's unbelievable that if you finance your own machine as I did there was no effort to contact me by the manufacture or even a general comms from the HSE or my GP. A friend saw a Facebook post and mentioned it to me at the beginning of December I actually meant to come and post here to raise awareness and am doing it now. If you own and use a Philips Respironics System One CPAP you need to read that link and this one https://www.philips.ie/healthcare/e/sleep/communications/src-update .

About a month ago, the supplier (its a rental), contacted me to come in for a service. They rented a room in the Maldron Tallaght. I couldnt make it, but went down to them the following day in wicklow. Had a chat with them and they showed me the issue.

This was only at the start of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Wow that's bad so you had one of the affected models too? I saw Philips saying that they recommended these machines were replaced after 3 years or so, I'd never heard that before and mine was 11 years old!!! Did they replace your machine?

They didn't say much but I am sure they swapped my machine out. There is something about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

That reminds me I have one of those effected machines rented. Heard nothing from my supplier (air liquids)until a while after the Philips announcement and then received some correspondence blaming covid for the delay in replacing. There quick enough to keep taking the money out of my account though. Have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I bought a water distiller from Amazon, cost me about €80 or €90 I think. It produces about 3L of distilled water at a time which is enough for the humidifier for a couple of weeks.

Boiling water won't remove the particulates and minerals that can clog up the humidifier. If I have to use normal tap water (even boiled) for a while, say if I go away for a few days and forget to bring distilled water with me, then I find that there is a lot of residue left in the humidifier compared to distilled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 scassidy88

PARTICIPANTS NEEDED!

Hello there! I’m a psychology and wellbeing masters student at DCU and I'm researching the lived experiences of those living with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (quite an under-researched area). If you have this diagnosis and are interested in taking part, you can email me at siobhan.cassidy5@mail.dcu.ie for more information (I'd post the URL, but I don't use Boards.ie enough, so unfortunately the platform won't let me).

Please feel free to share or spread the word.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

All,

I've a Fisher Paykel machine, and currently using this;

Which has started getting leaky, time for a new one.

I need to wear this with a chin strap unfortunately becuase my mouth hangs open in my sleep and the air pisses out! 😆

Does anybody have any experience with a full face version, ie, one that covers nose and mouth, by Fisher Paykel, that they can recommend? I'm hesitant to try a few seeing as they're expensive to be buying to discard... The full face things with the plastic bit from nose to forehead seems like it might be very uncomfortable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Hello

I have been using CPAP machine since 2017 ( Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset). Rented for few months, then purchased CPAP machine outright. Now CPAP seems to develop a fault, from time to time pressure increases or drops without reason.

Thinking about buying new machine. Resmed in Ireland too expensive.

Any advice on reliable supplier in Ireland or UK?

Thanks

Advertisement