Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 angieb

When I was a kid I always watched Blue Peter and they had the most beautiful lab called Goldie whom I adored. I promised myself that when I was older I'd have one and so when I was 22 I bought this snivelling little runt of a lab she became the light of our lives. Unfortunately I had to have her put to sleep in June 07 at almost 15yrs old, still miss her so much. She was our Goldie and she was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I still miss my cockateil bird.....Mohawk

He was a bird no one had wanted in a pet shop i did work experience in.
    I opted to take the bird off there hands instead of being paid. I brought him home, within in a few days he perked up, ravished in the attention, fresh air and good food. then a few years later i got an african grey parrot and the two brids had there cages side by side and the became best of friends. well about a year ago mohawk passed away for reasons unknown. and my heart just went out to my parrot magoo. i swear his little heart was breaking he didnt whistle or talk for weeks.

Any time i used to play back videos of mohawk whistling or whistle like him my self poor lttle magoo used to get so depressed.... I eventually went out and spent about 150 euro on a pair of budgies and a new cage to perk magoo back up.

but still poor mohawk. he got me into parrots and birds. he was such a funky cool little bird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

RIP Jinxy

p0709072350ad6.jpg

Found her dead under the hedge 2 weeks ago, something or someone hit her on the head, thank god it looked like it killed her instantly. Jinxy was great, the father is retired and she kept him great company, when he'd be out the back, she'd rarely leave his side. She was essentially one of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I hate seeing 'new post' in this thread. :(

My sympathies to all who lost their pets recently.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 queencakes

Our little terrier, Scobie, died last night. My boyfriend found him dead at the side of the house with our labrador sitting beside him. He was full of beans when I came home from work yesterday and was chasing a soccer ball around the house like a lunatic. There isn't a mark on him so we think he may have had a heart attack. I cried for two hours.

Scobie strayed into our house about two and a half years ago and never left us. We never knew how old he was. He was very territorial and madly jealous of the other dog even though they were great friends and the lab was lost without him this morning.

i'll miss him alot, he was a great friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

I found fry my bearded dragon dead yesterday he was only a few months old, the crickets got to his eyes before I found him.
    Miss you fry , you deserved a better way to go.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

My golden labrador and best friend of 16 years died on Valentines day. He went peacefully and thankfully my whole family were in the house when it happened. He had had 2 successful operations in UCD which gave him a new lease of life and a wonderful extra year with us. Two days before he died he followed me around pestering me to play fetch! (although in all his 16 years he never grasped the correct concept of 'fetch', he thought the game was to catch the ball and not give it back!)

The house just isn't the same without him, he used to wake me up at 6:30 every morning, he slept in my room and was my constant companion. He was extraordinarily sensitive and would do his best to cheer me up if he thought I was sad or upset. My heart really is broken, as I type this tears are running down my face, no dog will ever come close to my Zuppy. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Dougal,

My beloved tom cat. Found him as a kitten dumped outside the post office in Carna Co Galway when i was teaching there. He shared my bed and my life. He used to sit on the window of the geography room last class to wait for me. The students had him spoilt as much as me. He got cancer last summer and died. But i'm lucky in that i have his grand son smokey, whose almost identical in tempermant.

Dougal August 2003 - June 2007

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Pepsi....I miss you kid. I haven't cried in over 15 years and yet I can't see the bloody keyboard for the tears.

I remember taking you to the park as a kitten on a lead to the surprise of everyone there but I was so proud of you. I loved the evenings watching episode after episode of Stargate or Timeteam while you slept on my chest. Or letting me know that it was time to let you out, at 6:30 in the morning, by licking Catrin's hair until she couldn't stand it any longer.

Pepsi disappeared Sunday morning and was found dead this morning in our celler. I'd like to think that his 2 days in the streets of Paris were full of adventures the like you'd see in a Hollywodd cartoon. I'd like to think that it was better that we had a cat that could come and go as he pleased, Lord of the court yard, knowing that there was always a risk of danger. I'd like to think that he came back home to die but could have come back any time he wanted to but was having too much fun to do so.

Pepsi, you became the child that our marriage has so far failed to produce. You were there when the doctors told us that operations would be needed before we could consider having kids naturally. It's a pity you'll never get to meet Ponster junior :)

I'm not too sure what we would have done without you kid...

RIP Pepsi 2006-2008

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Good night Ben, my dear dear friend, taken from us far too soon.

Ben was a west highland terrier, a cheeky little fecker, full of life and energy, very friendly with everyone, but hugely territorial and possessive of his family at the same time.

Sadly, Ben was struck by a car last night when out for a walk. He was killed instantly, thankfully he didn't suffer. He was only two years old.

Gonna miss him around the house, playing football in the halls, they way he'd excitedly jump up when I came in, the way he'd cuddle in when you're watching tv, even last night when I knocked at the door to come in and there was no bark it just felt so empty.

Goodbye buddy, I miss ya..

dsc00301oz9.jpg

*edit

BTW this is a great thread, it gives people a chance to talk about their friends who have passed on, it's kinda hard to explain to non pet owners how upset I am, at least I've been able to get a little bit off my chest here..

I've read the thread from start to finish since i've posted, there's some beautiful animals on here, and some lovely stories. At least our pets will always be in our hearts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

RIP my stunning baby cat Bramble - she was hit by a car yesterday :(

She was my African Grey Misty's favourite cat - she would/still does meow & say wheres Bramble - BRAMBLE stop that etc. She is much missed & I could not post this yesterday as it was still too raw etc. The house seems empty without her (even tho we have 11 other cats)

RIP my baby girl - wait for me at the rainbow bridge.

DSC_5028.jpg
    DSC_5509.jpg
    DSC_5010.jpg
    DSC_4977.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sorry for your loss mate, beautiful looking cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I don't know why i keep reading this thread i always end up in tears.

Was out of work last week sick ,and one of my old friends passed away while i was out, Rusty was the most lovely silkhaired terrier and his family loved him so much. He had been sick for a very long time but his family did everything possible. He passed away at home. Hope you and scribbles don't cause too much trouble up there.

Heaven's Doggy Door
    My best friend closed his eyes last night,
    As his head was in my hand.
    The doctors said he was in pain,
    And it was hard for him to stand.
    The thoughts that scurried through my head
    As I cradled him in my arms,
    Were of his younger, puppy years,
    And Oh...his many charms.

Today, there was no gentle nudge,
    With an intense "I love you" gaze,
    Only a heart that's filled with tears
    Remembering our joy-filled days.
    But an Angel just appeared to me,
    And he said, "You should cry no more,
    God also loves our canine friends,
    He's installed a doggy door!"

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

My beautiful grey and white cat Sophie Sad Eyes passed away 2 days ago.
    She was only 4 1/2.
    We found her lying in her bed and thought she was asleep. But she had passed on.
    We are heart broken, cant believe she is gone. She was the funniest girl, didnt like to be picked up but loved a good scratch and a rub.
    She made the oddest sound when picked up , almost like a pidgeon!!!
    But would never hurt anyone, the softest sweetest little girl.
    A big whole has been left in her place.

Be happy where-ever you are little one.

We love and miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

One of my goldfish started showing signs of dropsy about 2 weeks ago but was still alert and interested in things around him. Last Friday he took a turn for the worse with an infected wound and internal bleeding so I was forced to euthanise him. Was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. And as I live in an aprtment I didn't even have anywhere to bury him. Luckily a friend offered their back garden.

Turk was a lovely fish and I had had him and his 2 tank mates for nearly 2 years. In that time they grew from 2 inches long to 6 inches. The other 2 in keep coming to the side as if asking where he is. He'll be missed.

RIP Turk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am sorry for your loss. People don't realise how much goldfish can be real characters. We have almost lost Harriot our 10 inch goldfish several times so she is more special to us. My sincere sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Our family cat, Kasper died on Saturday morning. He was almost 16 and was suffering from Kidney failure. He's been ok for the past 2 weeks but suddenly deteriorated fast. He couldn't move his back legs at all and was yelping in pain. My dad and bro took him down to the vet and he was put to sleep. We buried him in his blanket in his favourite spot in the garden.

We got Kasper when I was 8 years old and he went through everything with me, school, exams, college, boyfriends etc. He also used to play in all our games. We used to play cricket in the garden and he was always a fielder, and really good at it! He ate dinner with the family every night. My dad would call for us all to come and have dinner and as he was one of us he thought that included him. He always sat at the head of the table too!

He was the most good-natured, affectionate and sociable cat I've ever met. He was such a character and was adored by us all and my family is devestated. He'll be very, very sorely missed.

I have been living at home for the last few weeks as I'm going travelling soon and all I can say is I'm very grateful that I was at home for his last few weeks and I got to say goodbye properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

My cat Scruffy died tonight. He must have been 14 years old so he had a long run. I haven't actually cried since I was a teenager, I didn't even shed a tear for my grandparents when they died but tonight when I found out I couldn't stop myself and I've been bawling ever since.

I miss the little lad so much, he used to sleep on me at night every night, and he always answered me when I called, wierd for a cat. And now he's slipped away when I wasn't at home...ah man.

I love that cat and I'll miss him so much. I'm dreading work tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

Cosmo, our beautiful cat, died on the 25th April 2008. It was a little known fact to the world, that he was the pinnacle of all God's creations; the most perfect life that ever trotted this earth.

Our hearts ache with loss, but swell with the love and the pride we feel that he shared his life with us. The joy he gave us was infinite and our grief and tears seem scant payment for the beauty he brought to our lives. Thank you Cosmo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

My dog Cico - half golden labrador/half golden retriever died this evening.

14 years of age she was - very sad to see her go, died at home not really expected just found her dead.

Old age I presume - heart attack etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Our family dog Patch passed away yesterday. He got ran down by a car.
    We all loved him, he was a cross between a Jack Russel and West Highland Terrier, a truly magnificent guard dog. He loved the family especially my father who treated him so well. It was like they could nearly talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Our golden cocker Max, aged 14 died last Wednesday. He had a tumour which only became apparent lately, and underwent operation to remove it on Tuesday. Unfortunately he didnt make it. He grew up with my kids and they are devastated. The youngest is 11 and he used to meet her coming from school and catch her sleeve and bring her home. He was such a lovely dog - we know he couldnt have lasted forever, but the loss is huge. Everyone crying here ...... our house will never be the same without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

It's always sad to read these posts. I had to have Mick our 13 year old Irish Terrier put down last week on the Bank Holiday Monday. Had been showing signs of old age the last two years, arthritis, fluid in his lungs etc. Brought him to the Vet in March and I knew he was on his last legs. Gave us all a chance to say our goodbyes, but it didn't make that final trip to the vets any easier last week. I find myself just about to whistle when walking up the drive, but he's not going to appear at the gate anymore. Can still get his smell when I go out the back from his kennel and we all miss him so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

There has been so much crying going on here after Max passed away, that I sourced a golden cocker breeder during the week 'bit the bullet' and arrived home with a new puppy. There was mixed reaction to him, but now everyone is mad about him. We cant replace Max, but the presence of this puppy has certainly helped to ease our pain. Id recommend it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

1718812998_d95a3874e1.jpg

Busby died 30th April 2008, he was 3 years old :( so sad, he was really good fun and had a great character..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm296/laurabluewkd/laura0207001Small.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm296/laurabluewkd/DSCF4313.jpg

My poor little vagabond doggie, Chang (He is the big one) died two Sundays ago. I miss him so much and so does his best friend Cara (She is the little one). He was only 12. I'm so sad!!
    He was the smartest dog ever and I miss him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gottaluvlabs

ripbarney.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

One of our beautiful goldfish, Harriot, died from old age today. She was fine this morning but when we came home she was dead. We are very upset as although she was only a goldfish she used to come up to us. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

This is Elmo who left us on tuesday. very sad to not be graced with his presence any more. He came to us late in his life and he had the life of reilly during his stay. god bless his cotton socks :(

PUSH87ecbc38929c.jpg

Here he is during happier times, waiting for some of my sandwich :)
    db5f0d83bb6e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Our dog Sophie died suddenly on Tuesday morning - she was only four - and I'm in bits. I keep expecting her to come running down the stairs and come over for a rub. The house feels so empty. I miss all the little rituals - being met at the door with a shoe when I get home (she'd go ballistic whenever I came back from a few days away, nothing could make you feel more loved!), her appearing beside the bed to get me up at the weekend, trying to get her to fetch (never worked, though she was a golden retriever), the last thing at night walk, the trips to the strand, scratching her belly, everything. She was the sweetest, best-tempered, most handsome dog I ever saw, and we thought we'd have her around for a lot longer than four years.

Advertisement