Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Style my dress for a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Yellow/mustard or turquoise?

That's a gorgeous dress - I've see it on someone irl, and the way it falls is really feminine, esp in heels.
    Agree with Addle - yellow/mustard would be fab. Maybe pink?

Scarf, clutch, heels, maybe belt?

The yellow one here https://www.marksandspencer.com/ie/pure-silk-floral-print-scarf/p/p60269002?image=SD_01_T01_7001T_R4_X_EC_90&color=YELLOWMIX&prevPage=plp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Cali_girl wrote: »
    That's a gorgeous dress - I've see it on someone irl, and the way it falls is really feminine, esp in heels.
    Agree with Addle - yellow/mustard would be fab. Maybe pink?

Scarf, clutch, heels, maybe belt?

On the hanger, it looked so so - my sister has a great eye and picked it for me - very elegant. I’m thinking pink too ... shop assistant was trying to encourage me to go for LK Bennett gold shoes. Didn’t have the heart to tell her, budget already stretched buying the dress!

You'll wear that dress again, for sure. Enjoy it.
    Ooh, pink heels and matching clutch would be v cute. And a flower/corsage type bracelet if you're part of the formal entourage or just feeling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You could wear almost anything with that dress. (It's smashing, btw, quite gorgeous)

White...even a scrap of lace. Always chic with navy.
    Red...striking and sexy.
    Silver and sequins...for a bit of total glamour bling.
    Pink - quite classic - just don't overdo it. I'm seeing pink gloves, Audrey Hepburn look.
    Straw/beige/gold colourway. Classy, summery, stylish.

I can't agree with mustard yellow, I think its a vile, old-man colour: that makes every face look either jaundiced like a turnip, or flushed like an apple. So my opinion counts for nothing on that one.

• Advertisement

Guys, ye are on a roll ... I’m loving the suggestions! Any ideas for hair accessory? I have blonde beyond shoulder length hair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Something neat and styled, but feminine: hat with a little eye-veil?

Aren’t hair bands in now?

Addle wrote: »
    Aren’t hair bands in now?

I’m 43 ... would I be a bit old for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Your dress is stunning! I think it has a bit of a vintage feel, so maybe something along the same lines, but a big colour to complement! Will try to attach a picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I would love that with deep teal accessories. A teal suede high hell and clutch bag but I also love little hats with a small birdcage type veil.
    Gorgeous dress op enjoy the wedding I'm sure you will look fab.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was at a wedding where they had the bridal party in navy with a bright sunshine yellow as the accent colour, and it was so gorgeous and elegant.

Could you do the shoes and a clutch and/or a belt?

honeybear wrote: »
    I’m 43 ... would I be a bit old for them?

Well if they’re good enough for the royals, then they’re good enough for us!
    I’m sure there’s a more appropriate name for the head piece type headband I’m thinking of, but I don’t know what it is.

It’s a classic dress. I wouldn’t go overboard with matching accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well if they’re good enough for the royals, then they’re good enough for us!
    I’m sure there’s a more appropriate name for the head piece type headband I’m thinking of, but I don’t know what it is.

It’s a classic dress. I wouldn’t go overboard with matching accessories.

I'd go for pink as well. If you wear a dark colour for a wedding you definitely want a bright colour with it. Hairbands are in. Pippa looked amazing with her's at royal wedding.

Taste is totally relative and very personal, but I hate pink with navy.
    It’s been done to death.

• Fab dress, I'd put green (fern shade) with it, I think it would be classic, I'd actually wear navy shoes/sandals, navy and green headpiece and green bag, but you can't go wrong as most colours will match it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It’s been done to death.

I think I'm the same. It will work, it matches but for me red/navy and pink/navy are a bit meh.

I would try green sandals and possibly belt. The example in the link is probably not the best shape but that shade of green works very well with navy.

https://www.aldoshoes.com/ie/en_IE/women/footwear/sandals/Padova-Green/p/12652328

You can then add golden jewellery or golden hair accessories which are all the rage at the moment.

Edit: I just noticed the reply above mine, there is a bit of unintended duplication. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

It’s been done to death.

Have to agree with this. IMO Pink would be predictable and not the most chic option.

I love Pink. Have been known to wear it head to toe. But I don't like hot pinks with either black or navy. I just find it a dated combo.

I would suggest either teal or mustard as colours that will look fresh and current against navy.

I know these are budget busters but am suggesting them as a concept.

https://www.mytheresa.com/de-de/aquazzura-exclusive-to-mytheresa-com-powder-puff-105-velvet-pumps-887365.html?catref=category

I'd also advise not going too overboard with matching accessories in bright colours. Bright shoes or maybe a bright clutch would look nice, but if you had too many accessories (ie shoes, hat/hairpiece, bag, necklace) in a bright colour then I think you risk taking away from the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What a gorgeous, elegant dress!
    I'd go for a pop of colour along the lines of teal, puce, jade, burnt orange or mustard for either the bag or the shoes, but not both. Bright bag and navy shoes or vice versa would be my pick.
    I love the idea of a pillbox hat with a tiny veil as mentioned above, or a festooned hairband as worn by a few of the British royals for recent formal events - I'd look into hiring something fabulous rather than buying, as you can rent a piece for the same price you'd pay for a very ordinary hat you'd maybe only wear once anyway.
    I was looking at the Bourbon shoes website (Amy Huberman's brand) recently and there were a few pairs of pointy suede stilettos that would work well with your dress, including a sunshine yellow pair that'd be elegant but still fun, and nice with jeans etc once the wedding is over!

Love ALL the suggestions. Saw a pair of strappy rose gold sandals today .. would that colour work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

honeybear wrote: »
    Love ALL the suggestions. Saw a pair of strappy rose gold sandals today .. would that colour work?

Almost anything works with navy so it should. As some said don't go too matchy matchy with accessories.

Advertisement