Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in your local

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why should the "crafty" price point be higher? Just because some lad makes it in a shed and calls it Goblins Foreskin?
    Because of all the extra paperwork they need to fill in to claim back 50% of the excise duty from the revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Because of all the extra paperwork they need to fill in to claim back 50% of the excise duty from the revenue.

That and they don’t have the same economies of scale and most likely they use more ingredients. Goblin’s foreskin prices can also be volatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    3.20 for a pint of Guinness or Lager in south city centre pub....anyone know the spot i'm talking about?

There was a pub underneath Tara St station that had inexpensive pints; the €3.30 rings a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Always highly amusing how vitriolic Irish people can get when confronted with the spectacle of other people spending their own money on beers they consider to taste better.

Ironically, its often from the same people that bore the tits of everybody about the voodoo magik of their pint of plain.

That poster, I think, was posting from Stockholm? I remember being charged about 9 euro for a pint of lager there before so I can see how a pint of 11% imperial stout would be quite pricey as people generally drink that style in smaller measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There was a pub underneath Tara St station that had inexpensive pints; the €3.30 rings a bell.

The only drawback is that those places are generally full of students or extras from the set of Thriller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

4.50 for a Guinness, Dublin suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

€5 for a pint of guinness, dublin 8.
    My other local in donegal has it for €4.20, also have carling and tennants for €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Guinness 4:70 and Heineken 5 country pub. Probably shout 10/20 cheaper to be honest

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Had some KPA last weekend in Cork city. It was €5.80 a pint. I thought it was expensive for Cork. I don't drink beer that often but never tried KPA before. I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

4.20 for a pint of Porter in East Galway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

3.20 for a pint of Guinness or Lager in south city centre pub....anyone know the spot i'm talking about?

There is over 200 pubs in the south Dublin city, which one ?
    Ush1 wrote: »
    4.50 for a Guinness, Dublin suburb.

Where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    There is over 200 pubs in the south Dublin city, which one ?

Where ?

The Snug on Stephen's St. A genuinely awful pub, but the prices are literally from 1995 :pac:

The Snug on Stephen's St. A genuinely awful pub, but the prices are literally from 1995 :pac:

I know it. Yes it is a Kip. Do they still do offers in Dicey's on a Sunday afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Wellington NZ, €6 - €7 depending on your poison. €7 for a pint of Guinness, which definitely is poison, but can be got for around €5.50 elsewhere in the city, I still wouldn't bother with it.

€4.20 for a Guinness in my local at home (Co Roscommon).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I would just like to point out i don't drink BUT a bottle of sparkling water will set you back 4.50.

A glass of orange juice will be 5 euro. (It is a large glass though)

BUT STILL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

We have 2 prices on all pints;
    1. The Locals or Pensioners Price.
    2. The NOT Locals or Pensioners Price.

I’m a local and get a pint of Guinness for €4.
    It’s €4.40 for the other people.

On a week night I just bring €30 cash out. Can walk home. Nearly the Price of a coffee left over for morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I live a five minute walk from Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire, most draught beers are between €3.25 and €3.75, Beamish is €2.95 and all hand-pulled ale (minimally carbonated and generally only slightly cooler than room temperature) is €2.75. Not everyone's cup of tea but I happen to adore the hand-pulled ales, and they tend to be a lot stronger than ordinary beers at ~6% or higher, so I can go out and have a proper night in the pub for less than a tenner. They also do a Monday special where most pints are €2.45, including the likes of Beamish and Stella.

When the Spooner first arrived on the Irish scene, there was widespread hope and chatter about the effect it would have on deflating pint prices in the pub industry generally. Unfortunately, this really doesn't seem to have happened. Perhaps their opening of two new pubs right Dublin the city centre might make a difference, but it seems to me that unless the VFI starts up a purchasing and distribution cartel for its members to centrally order their kegs in bulk, Irish pubs will continue to pay, and thus charge, absolutely extortionate prices for beer. Spoons in DL is incredible - very comfortable, lovely furniture, and a huge, covered balcony with a panoramic view of Dun Laoghaire Harbour - having said that, the one in Blackrock is nowhere near as enjoyable unless it's nice enough outside to sit in the beer garden. So they can be hit and miss, will have to wait for Camden St and Abbey St to open later this year before we'll know whether they'll become a viable city centre 'local' option.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Where ?

Tallaght.

I live a five minute walk from Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire, most draught beers are between €3.25 and €3.75, Beamish is €2.95 and all hand-pulled ale (minimally carbonated and generally only slightly cooler than room temperature) is €2.75. Not everyone's cup of tea but I happen to adore the hand-pulled ales, and they tend to be a lot stronger than ordinary beers at ~6% or higher, so I can go out and have a proper night in the pub for less than a tenner. They also do a Monday special where most pints are €2.45, including the likes of Beamish and Stella.

When the Spooner first arrived on the Irish scene, there was widespread hope and chatter about the effect it would have on deflating pint prices in the pub industry generally. Unfortunately, this really doesn't seem to have happened. Perhaps their opening of two new pubs right Dublin the city centre might make a difference, but it seems to me that unless the VFI starts up a purchasing and distribution cartel for its members to centrally order their kegs in bulk, Irish pubs will continue to pay, and thus charge, absolutely extortionate prices for beer. Spoons in DL is incredible - very comfortable, lovely furniture, and a huge, covered balcony with a panoramic view of Dun Laoghaire Harbour - having said that, the one in Blackrock is nowhere near as enjoyable unless it's nice enough outside to sit in the beer garden. So they can be hit and miss, will have to wait for Camden St and Abbey St to open later this year before we'll know whether they'll become a viable city centre 'local' option.

The food there is dog sh*te I must add. Even the seagulls wouldn't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

RasTa wrote: »
    Just got sent an image on whatsapp of a mate drinking a Guinness in our old local.

€5.10 the Carpenter, in Carpenterstown D15.

Someone tell me this isn't the norm?

I'm afraid so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

€7.45 Quays Bar.

I trust you pulled out of the bidding at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Proper night out is 3 pints in wetherspoons? That's grim. It'd an absolute kip selling dishwater and dog****e.

It's about 4 quid now, but still the cheapest place to go for a drink in Dublin.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    The food there is dog sh*te I must add. Even the seagulls wouldn't touch it.
    What's lower in the pecking order than a seagull? That bird must be my spirit animal, because I find the burgers in Wetherspoons delicious; but probably I would find a dirty dishcloth delicious if they served it with chips and a pint for a tenner.

Someone once told me that Wetherspoons was not created by a man named J.D. Wetherspoon, but by someone who was told by his teacher that he would never amount to anything. That teacher's name was Wetherspoon, and therefore the name is something of a two-fingered salute to the teacher.

I like this story a lot, so if it's an urban legend, please don't tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I can't drink beer and I don't like Bulmers, so a pint of artisan cider usually sets me back €7.50. On the plus side, it means I don't drink much!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hoboo wrote: »
    Proper night out is 3 pints in wetherspoons? That's grim. It'd an absolute kip selling dishwater and dog****e.

Fook me, Beamish isn't that bad(better than Murphy's) and at less than €3.00 a pint is a bargain. As for dogśhíťé....I've only experienced JDW's in the UK,and I found the food quite decent(for what we were paying)

sgthighway wrote: »
    We have 2 prices on all pints;
    1. The Locals or Pensioners Price.
    2. The NOT Locals or Pensioners Price.

I’m a local and get a pint of Guinness for €4.
    It’s €4.40 for the other people.

On a week night I just bring €30 cash out. Can walk home. Nearly the Price of a coffee left over for morning.

Where do the NOT LOCALS sit ? Do you have to sign them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

PHG wrote: »
    Living in Scandinavia. No pint, but 500ml and it's over €7.

Bottles are a killer, but it is the spirits that are the worst. Standard GnT (40ml) can range from €14 to €16.

P.S. - A 500ml bottle is a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Three pints of Carling for €11.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Laois and a lot of pubs around Ireland. Could be Tubourg instead, but same deal. Used to be a tenner.

Actually that reminds me, one of the locals where I grew up had pints of Carling for €3 - €3.50 the last time I was there (possibly 4 years ago). If I remember back a bit further they used to sell Labbatts for similar. The place down the road sold (possibly still does) Fosters for the same.

Very few people would join me in indulging in the cheap swill. They seem to think they were better off paying €4.80 or whatever it was for their Heineken branded cheap swill. Each to their own I suppose.

I must say that living in the UK has given me a much different perspective on the usual pub drinks that we're all used to seeing. One example, over here Carlsberg is the cheapest of the cheap, if a place has Tuborg on tap it will be more expensive than Carlsberg :confused: - I've had Dublin mates flat out not believe me on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭holygoaliefc

dotsman wrote: »

Since when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

dotsman wrote: »

A pint is 568ml

Advertisement