Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When not to take advice.

• 19-05-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

In what circumstances would you ignore advice from a trusted friend?

E.g..yesterday I was trying on an outfit for a wedding next month My friend said after outfit number 4 it's a good colour and fit but it makes your boobs look big (they are not big in real life for people thinking anything else.)

I said thanks for advice, tried on 3 more and left empty handed. Thinking of going back tomorrow to buy dress number 4.

When would you ignore advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

When you feel like it! If you like dress 4 then buy it and ignore the friend. It was advice and not an edict :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

E.g..yesterday I was trying on an outfit for a wedding next month My friend said after outfit number 4 it's a good colour and fit but it makes your boobs look big (they are not big in real life for people thinking anything else.)

I said thanks for advice, tried on 3 more and left empty handed. Thinking of going back tomorrow to buy dress number 4.

"A good colour and fit but it makes your boobs look big"

Whats the " but" about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Edgware wrote: »
    "A good colour and fit but it makes your boobs look big"

Whats the " but" about?

My age. Too old to show boobs. Also big boobs makes you look fatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I like big boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

My age. Too old to show boobs. Also big boobs makes you look fatter.

Who the fcuk told you that?? What a load of boll*x!!! Age has nothing to do with it! I follow one simple rule. You show either cleavage or legs - never the two together.

Is the dress low cut? If it is, then swerve it as it's not suitable for a wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Show us a picture of your boobs and we’ll tell you if they’re big or not. Maybe they are big but you don’t realise it so post the picture and let us decide.

Who the fcuk told you that?? What a load of boll*x!!! Age has nothing to do with it! I follow one simple rule. You show either cleavage or legs - never the two together.

Is the dress low cut? If it is, then swerve it as it's not suitable for a wedding.

Low cut? Yeah shows cleavage if that's what you are asking. Cleavage is not ok for a wedding. Never heard that before. Thanks.

Show us a picture of your boobs and we’ll tell you if they’re big or not. Maybe they are big but you don’t realise it so post the picture and let us decide.

Also worried my nose is too big. Will I start with that pic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Never ignore advice from a trusted friend.
    Trust your friends advice why would she stear you wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

2 times spring to mind.

When it's been wrong in the past.
    When there's an agenda being pushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She might not be attempting to stear her wrong. She is likely trying to advise with the best of intentions.

However, I can give what I might intend to be helpful and good advice to someone and be wrong. It might be off the cuff advice not thought out to any proper degree, it might be advice that people don’t want or need to hear where I or whoever just are trying to help.

She wouldn't. Thank you for this. She has no agenda except my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

She wouldn't. Thank you for this. She has no agenda except my back.

I'm available, I can bring you to the wedding.
    You're welcome , it's no problem.
    I'll stay sober till at least 3pm.

I'm available, I can bring you to the wedding.
    You're welcome , it's no problem.
    I'll stay sober till at least 3pm.

The wedding is at 2pm. At 3 we will probably still be in the church.: D

The wedding is at 2pm. At 3 we will probably still be in the church.: D

Church ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Church ?

It's a wedding of course it's in a church

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Maybe buy the dress and bring it home and try it on with a couple of different bras. Take your time and take some photos too because I think it helps to get a better idea of how something looks. If you still think it makes your boobs look too big you can always return it again. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Have a great time at the wedding :)

It's a wedding of course it's in a church

I just dropped my monocle.
    It coulda been a humanistic wedding or civil.. sans church.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s advice, not an order. Take it on board but if you think you like the dress then you should go for it.

Or go back with someone else and get a second opinion. But, at the end of the day, it’s your call.

The tide is turning…

Maybe buy the dress and bring it home and try it on with a couple of different bras. Take your time and take some photos too because I think it helps to get a better idea of how something looks. If you still think it makes your boobs look too big you can always return it again. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Have a great time at the wedding :)

Very sensible person.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much. Great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think if you trust that she has your back plus she has a good sense of style herself, then give her opinion a high rating. I mean if she is a rubbish dresser herself, her opinion doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think if you trust that she has your back plus she has a good sense of style herself, then give her opinion a high rating. I mean if she is a rubbish dresser herself, her opinion doesn't matter.

A lot of fashion designers are rubbish dressers but know what looks good on other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A lot of fashion designers are rubbish dressers but know what looks good on other people.

Yeah that's true alright. Still not sure I'd personally take advice from a friend if I routinely thought I had better clothes sense than her myself. But I take your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Trust your own sense of fashion too. I shop on my own and think I get it fairly right. A long mirror in your bedroom will help you see the fit of your outfit with the shoes you are going to wear on the day. Bring it home try it on with shoes, hair similar to how you are going to wear it on the day, have a look in the mirror and see how the whole thing sits together. But honestly I think people don’t even notice too much and we women are far too hard on ourselves. Nice hair, spray of perfume you love, being comfortable in your own skin and that means being comfortable in fabric you are wearing too. Had communion and confirmation this year wore dresses I loved that I bought last year, bought in sales but loved them both so didn’t even bother buying anything new. Knew they suited me so was sorted. As I say we are far too hard on ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Advice from friends is in general worthless.

Usually it's not much more people telling you what they know you want to hear. Even if they would think the exact opposite were they in the situation you're seeking advice about.

The only advice I ever seek is of a professional nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

The other thing I was going to say is that you could get a scarf, pashmina, cloak or blazer to cover your cleavage then ditch it when you get to the reception. Unless you are an extremely big busted woman which as you say you aren’t no one will take a blind bit of notice. As I say we women are far too hard on ourselves, been to loads of weddings and so much nonsense and pressure. Older I get less I care about fashion trends or what other people think, if it’s comfy, looks ok that’s fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If I am reading this right you tried on 7 different dresses? Did he/she not offer any advice on the other 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This starts out with so much potential, but I have read it four times now, and can still see no mention of furnishing the good denizens of AH with the photos :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Here's some advice, don't listen to me.

Advertisement