Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone XS Max constant WiFi drops

• 17-05-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an XS Max, running iOS 12.3 (albeit the issue has existed since before iOS 12.2) which seems to keep having WiFi (Virgin Media) drops. The other devices in the house (iPad, iPhone, laptops etc) don’t have this issue. Essentially, for reasons I can’t fathom, every so often the WiFi drops and I have to turn on and off airplane mode. Turning off and on the router also works, as does disconnecting from the network and rejoining it. But the issue always returns.

So far I’ve:

-tried forgetting and rejoining the network
    -tried updating to iOS 12.3
    -have restored from a backup
    -turned on and off the phone
    -reset network settings
    -turned off the router multiple time
    -pressed the pin hole reset button on the rear of the router.
    -toggled on and off WiFi assist

I know that the next logical step is to restore as a new phone, but unfortunately, my mum passed away late last year and I’m trying to avoid deleting her texts from the phone by setting up as a new device. Anyone got any suggestions that might help me out.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

brophs wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have an XS Max, running iOS 12.3 (albeit the issue has existed since before iOS 12.2) which seems to keep having WiFi (Virgin Media) drops. The other devices in the house (iPad, iPhone, laptops etc) don’t have this issue. Essentially, for reasons I can’t fathom, every so often the WiFi drops and I have to turn on and off airplane mode. Turning off and on the router also works, as does disconnecting from the network and rejoining it. But the issue always returns.

So far I’ve:

-tried forgetting and rejoining the network
    -tried updating to iOS 12.3
    -have restored from a backup
    -turned on and off the phone
    -reset network settings
    -turned off the router multiple time
    -pressed the pin hole reset button on the rear of the router.
    -toggled on and off WiFi assist

I know that the next logical step is to restore as a new phone, but unfortunately, my mum passed away late last year and I’m trying to avoid deleting her texts from the phone by setting up as a new device. Anyone got any suggestions that might help me out.

Thanks

Take a screen grab of your Mam’s messages and store them as photos, that might ease any future loss of messages. Although they should be backed up via cloud anyway.

For the WiFi issues try using cloudflare dns. Open your WiFi settings on the iPhone and use 1.1.1.1 for dns.

I’ve had similar issues too and this has resolved it for me.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

Tazium wrote: »
    Take a screen grab of your Mam’s messages and store them as photos, that might ease any future loss of messages. Although they should be backed up via cloud anyway.

For the WiFi issues try using cloudflare dns. Open your WiFi settings on the iPhone and use 1.1.1.1 for dns.

I’ve had similar issues too and this has resolved it for me.

Good luck.

Cheers. Yeah, I’ve already taken pics of the messages so they’re safe, but it’s nice to see them in their original form if possible. I’ll the DNS suggestion and see how I get on.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

brophs wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am having similar problems with Virgin Media. I have to either cycle WiFi on/off as you are doing or renew the DHCP lease in network settings. I am having it with other Apple devices in the house as well though.

How long have you been experiencing it? VM updated their router firmware recently and many users have reported problems. Disabling "smart wifi" and manually selecting a channel in the router might help a bit.

Make sure you enable iMessage syncing in iCloud settings. Apple added this a while ago but it's not enabled by default. In theory you could restore as a new device (i.e. without restoring from backup) and re-sync all your messages from the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you try changing the WiFi channel it might cure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

I am having similar problems with Virgin Media. I have to either cycle WiFi on/off as you are doing or renew the DHCP lease in network settings. I am having it with other Apple devices in the house as well though.

How long have you been experiencing it? VM updated their router firmware recently and many users have reported problems. Disabling "smart wifi" and manually selecting a channel in the router might help a bit. Hi

Make sure you enable iMessage syncing in iCloud settings. Apple added this a while ago but it's not enabled by default. In theory you could restore as a new device (i.e. without restoring from backup) and re-sync all your messages from the cloud.
    Thanks.

Just had a read of the thread in the Virgin forum and afterwards realised I actually am having one issue with another device, a Windows laptop. It seems that after the laptop goes to sleep, when I turn it back on it often has the yellow triangle over the WiFi symbol and the error message is that the default gateway isn’t available. I’m guessing the two may be related. I’ll try the channel suggestion and see what that does.

I didn’t realise you could sync the messages back to the phone without restoring. That might well be the solution if the channel thing doesn’t work

Thanks so much again. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have the same on my xs and I'm using asus routers. Tried it on both and still get that same.
    Its probably that crap intel modem they're using for this model.

Advertisement