Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview frequencies reshuffle (700 MHz clearence)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

Divis uses Horizontal polarity, the new transmitter is Vertical. Depending on your location and hopefully the new transmitter isn't in your direct line for Divis a couple of degrees left or right on your aerial might tip the balance in your favor. Good luck ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Ultimately with the UHF broadcast spectrum being shrunk, and DVB-T able to tolerate stronger levels of co-channel and adjacent channel interference compared to its analogue equivalent, means that frequency reuse can be done geographically closer together without affecting too much of the primary coverage area of either station. The side effect of this however means that fringe reception starts taking a back seat - it's one of the reasons I understand that new transmitters in Drogheda and Wicklow are being brought into service, and why the NIMM in Northern Ireland is expanding its coverage with additional sites.

I'd say that these days unless you live in a fairly favourable location, then if you want reliable reception of UK TV services the best bet is either via free-to-air satellite or a subscription service like Sky or Virgin Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Dept of Communications has had this or similar notification on its website for approx. the last 5 years about the potential loss of overspill UK TV reception.
    Irish planners have completed replanning to clear TV from the channels 49-60. They worked in conjunction with their UK colleagues on this task. On the whole the plan has 9 UHF channel groups, each with 3 channels. The Department expects that TV services will clear the channels 49-60 by April 2020, creating a second digital dividend. Associated with that will be much tighter reuse of frequency channels. The Department does not guarantee reception of TV services outside their core service area. Some households currently receiving UK TV signals from Northern Ireland or Wales will no longer be able to do so. This is because of transmissions from Irish TV transmitters in neighbouring areas

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/spectrum/digital-dividend/Pages/DTT-Spectrum.aspx

Latest notice from the Dept in preparation for the transition to the new frequencies
    Steps to take now in preparation for March 2020

In September 2019 DTT services in Northern Ireland will change their frequencies to those agreed in the new TV plan. DTT will use a much reduced amount of spectrum in this plan. It will be much harder to combine signals for UK and Irish DTT from two transmitter sites. Viewers should consider using Satellite systems to receive the Free to Air services available to viewers from many UK broadcasters.

Viewers receiving Saorview services on channels 52 and above will need to change aerial for continued reception of Saorview. Most other viewers should not need to change aerial to continue DTT reception from the same transmitter site. Some viewers might need to repoint their aerial thus changing the transmitter used for Saorview reception. They might need a new aerial to receive signals from a different transmitter.

Irish DTT will transmit on both the old and new frequencies between 4th September 2019 and 4th March 2020. After 4th March 2020 the old frequencies used since 2013 will cease. Viewers will need to have completed any required rescan by 4th March 2020. The Saorview website should have more information on this in September.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/spectrum/digital-dividend/Pages/Preparing-for-the-Digital-Diviidend.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

I'd say that these days unless you live in a fairly favourable location, then if you want reliable reception of UK TV services the best bet is either via free-to-air satellite or a subscription service like Sky or Virgin Media.

I agree, I can also see a big push to sell the saorview connect box in September.
    I'd also recommend a tv with a satellite tuner for anyone considering updating their tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Thanks for the info. As I feared, looks like the days of terrestrial TV from the North are over 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had not done anything about this, but today added the new mux frequency for Maghera to my tuner and all services are present and reception is good.
    Seems my wideband old aerial is working well. :)

Seems my wideband old aerial is working well. :)

The old wideband aerial will have no problems with the lower frequencies, in the future problems might arise as mobile broadband services are switched on at local base stations and may require an LTE/5G filter.

The Cush wrote: »
    The old wideband aerial will have no problems with the lower frequencies, in the future problems might arise as mobile broadband services are switched on at local base stations and may require an LTE/5G filter.

I am presently in a black hole for all mobile services so unless they put up a new mast I might not see any interference.

I am presently in a black hole for all mobile services so unless they put up a new mast I might not see any interference.
    Likely not, generally interference occurs close to mobile base stations, aerials with masthead amps, aerials pointing in the direction of base stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Post clearance it'll use UHF 46 & 48 at 160kW, Group K aerial.

UHF Group B (yellow tips) I'd say. Although Group K cover's both A (red) & B yellow.

• Advertisement

UHF Group B (yellow tips) I'd say. Although Group K cover's both A (red) & B yellow.

Group K will be the new wideband (UHF21-48) post 700MHz clearance, Group B would not be recommended as it range extends into the new 5G frequency range although a filter could be used to reduce/eliminate potential interference.

Group K will be the new wideband (UHF21-48) post 700MHz clearance, Group B would not be recommended as it range extends into the new 5G frequency range although a filter could be used to reduce/eliminate potential interference.

Group K is silver tips I would imagine.

Saorview related work on Clermont Carn this week, 3 day x 6 hours outages and Maghera 6 hour overnight outage

https://twitter.com/2rnNMC/status/1130043584378540032

https://twitter.com/2rnNMC/status/1130043594365128704

In another 10 years we could see a 600 MHz clearance, sur everything we have can easily fit into Group A, Ch. 21 to 37, so don't be surprised. I don't visualise a MUX 3 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

September will be an interesting time! My strategy will be to see what happens before climbing about on the roof. I will occasionally scan to see if Clermont Carn is doing any tests on the new lower frequencies.

I'm in Bangor (County Down) - just outside the official service area of Clermont Carn. Aerial is grouped and with a grouped 16(?)dB masthead amp. Signal is reliable. Nice to have the additional programmes which are not available from NIMM at Black Mountain.

Black Mountain NIMM is received by the group A aerial for Divis. Black Mountain and Divis are both horizontal and in the same direction from here. TG4, RTE1 and RTE2 available from NIMM. But, some programmes are blank if they are also on pay providers here - sports events, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Iderown wrote: »
    September will be an interesting time! My strategy will be to see what happens before climbing about on the roof. I will occasionally scan to see if Clermont Carn is doing any tests on the new lower frequencies.

I doubt that will happen - the "new" frequencies for use at Clermont Cairn are currently in use at several relay stations in Northern Ireland. Far more likely come 4th September when the NI transmitters & relays change frequencies that the Saorview simulcast period begins and then there's six months for viewers & 2rn to sort problems out.

Wondering if the new Maghera frequency is broadcasting still.
    It has been a while since I checked - a couple of months.

If it is still on the air I thought maybe to change to it permanently.

If it is still on the air I thought maybe to change to it permanently.

Not officially live until Sept 4th, I'd wait until then just incase. The old frequencies continue for another 6 months unchanged.

Not officially live until Sept 4th, I'd wait until then just incase. The old frequencies continue for another 6 months unchanged.

Just checked now and I did not receive anything on the new frequency ..... unless I got some parameter wrong it must not be broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

Just checked now and I did not receive anything on the new frequency ..... unless I got some parameter wrong it must not be broadcasting.
    Drogheda is online but just a blank carrier. So you won’t get anything in a search despite having a signal. Maghera might be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Drogheda is online but just a blank carrier. So you won’t get anything in a search despite having a signal. Maghera might be the same.

+1 this poster can see blank signals on 34 and 35 from Kippure....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057994272

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Ahead of frequency changes at Carmel in Wales as part of the 700MHz clearance next week, there is some engineering works at Mt. Leinster this week.

Carmel is moving to Channel 23, 26, 29 whilst Kilvey Hill moves to 21,24, 27.

Details attached. Looks like a significant overnight outage and radiation pattern changes are expected to comply with international agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

As the last of the work to move frequencies gets underway in Wales, it’s very likely I will lose reception from Mt. Leinster once Carmel moves frequencies tonight.

Carmel was a frequent visitor in Wexford on analogue in high pressure. Wonder what impact it might have for anyone still using an aerial for Preseli?

Near full on signal on both muxes from Mt. Leinster tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

The aerial back home at my parents is playing up and I was about to get an installer out to look at it, but seeing as channels will be changing in September and they may need new aerial(s), I've told them to just put up with it until then. No point fixing the problem now for a new problem to arise in 2 odd months time.

PFMC84 wrote: »
    The aerial back home at my parents is playing up and I was about to get an installer out to look at it, but seeing as channels will be changing in September and they may need new aerial(s), I've told them to just put up with it until then. No point fixing the problem now for a new problem to arise in 2 odd months time.

Yes, that would be recommended, Sept 4th is the day scheduled for this to happen north and south.

I’ve noticed some new aerials appearing in Drogheda recently that are pointing at Three Rock rather than Clermont Carn.

I’ve noticed some new aerials appearing in Drogheda recently that are pointing at Three Rock rather than Clermont Carn.

Has the new site for Drogheda gone live yet?

Has the new site for Drogheda gone live yet?
    No, still blank carriers. My educated guess is that it’s getting it’s feed from Clermont Carn’s new frequencies so won’t go live until the frequency change is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Spur Hill is duplicating MUX2 (which carries RTE1 etc) on its new Ch 39 (618MHz) as well as its existing (to be discontinued) Ch49 (698MHz) since Monday.

It was also on air for a time some days early last week also, but was faulty (suffering "pixelation"/blocking) so got taken off and replaced with a blank MUX transmission until properly resuming on Monday. Some TVs auto retuned (whilst in standby) to the new replacement MUX early last week, even though it was malfunctioning at the time, and had to be manually tuned back on ch49 .

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    Spur Hill is duplicating MUX2 (which carries RTE1 etc) on its new Ch 39 (618MHz) as well as its existing (to be discontinued) Ch49 (698MHz) since Monday.

It was also on air for a time some days early last week also, but was faulty (suffering "pixelation"/blocking) so got taken off and replaced with a blank MUX transmission until properly resuming on Monday. Some TVs auto retuned (whilst in standby) to the new replacement MUX early last week, even though it was malfunctioning at the time, and had to be manually tuned back on ch49 .

2 weeks today all the new frequencies get switched on, I wonder if Spur Hill is a test for this, the early switching on of UHF39 won't interfere with any UK sites.

Saorview frequency change page here - https://www.saorview.ie/en/changes
    Dept of Communications - https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/publications/Pages/Migration-from-700-MHz-Spectrum-Band.aspx
    From late November, Saorview will be broadcasting a message on channels 17 and 18 which will only be viewable if you are in an area affected by the change and are still receiving Saorview on the old frequencies. The old frequencies will be switched off on 4 March 2020, so you will have until then to retune your Saorview TV or box.

Link to the list of frequency changes but doesn't appear to be live yet - https://www.saorview.ie/downloads/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network%20Post700MHz-Rev.1.0
    2rn coverage checker updated to include the old and new frequencies for all sites, including the 2 new sites for Drogheda and Wicklow - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

Advertisement