Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Top 5 Favourite Radio Stations

Options
  • 19-05-2019 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Counting backwards these are mine and why I like them so much.

5. Manx Radio 1368AM - Find that this is a good radio station if I'm in a car that only has analogue and it comes in clear at night. They also merge with Radio Caroline 1 weekend in every month. It's based in The Isle Of Man.

4. BFBS - This radio station based on the army has a really good app with local stations all over the world including Northern Ireland.

3. RTE Pulse - Great for dance music fans like me. I use the RTE Radio Player app for this. Also features legends such as Judge Jules who I use to hear on BBC Radio 1.

2. Kisstory (Norway) - The Norwegian version of the UK's oldschool dance and RnB station has no ads or presenters, non-stop music and a much better playlist featuring dance songs you rarely hear.

1. Muzyczne Radio - My favourite radio station is from Poland and is perfect for my music tastes. Featuring new dance from around the globe with an oldies show every Monday to Thursday night 9pm - 11pm our time. Well worth getting the app and giving it a listen if your into that kind of stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

1. Radio X
    2. Planet Rock
    3. 8Radio
    4. 2FM
    5. Radio Nova

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

BBC 6 Music
    Newstalk
    RTE Radio 1
    BBC Radio 4
    Radio Nova

Love 8radio too but if I had listenership stats, I reckon the above 5 would be my top 5.

Big fan of talk radio so mine are

Newstalk
    WNYC (via TuneIn)
    LBC
    CBC Radio 1 (Canada)
    RTE 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

1/BBC RADIO 4
    2/NEWSTALK
    3/BBC RADIO 2
    4/SKYLAB RADIO
    5/RTE RADIO 1

BBC Radio 6
    Radio Nova
    Jazz FM
    LBC
    Today FM
    RTE Gold
    East Coast FM

With internet radio the list is endless ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Planet rock
    Zenith
    6music
    East Coast
    8radio

Manx radio while the TT is on...somewhere in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

1 Newstalk
    2 RTE r1
    3 RTE Gold
    4 90s Network
    5 BBC r2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Big fan of talk radio so mine are

Newstalk
    WNYC (via TuneIn)
    LBC
    CBC Radio 1 (Canada)
    RTE 1

Not sure if we are allowed to comment on this thread but just wanted to ask - LBC (I do like Nick Ferrari on TLW) - is LBC all about Britain & politics or is it an interesting mix of radio?

Mine would be
    TodayFM (certain slots)
    Newstalk
    OTBAM (which is not on Newstalk)
    2FM (Sat & Sun between 9am and 11am)
    Radio Nova

I really must start to listen to non-Irish stations more so!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

BBC Radio 4 - for it’s news, documentaries & comedy
    8Radio* - for its music
    BBC World Service - for it’s more global news
    RTÉ Radio 1 - for Irish news/politics
    Radio Jackie - the best and most truly local of the local stations.

* bearing in mind I’m one of the team, but I think I’d like it anyway.

robo wrote: »
    Not sure if we are allowed to comment on this thread but just wanted to ask - LBC (I do like Nick Ferrari on TLW) - is LBC all about Britain & politics or is it an interesting mix of radio?
    Feel free to comment on any aspect of the thread.

LBC is very focused on British politics; it could almost be called Brexit FM, at times.

But they do focus on global politics to an extent. Sheelagh Fogarty recently had a very interesting interview with Mary Robinson on Climate Change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

In no particular order

LBC, specifically James O'Brien, but I don't mind Ferrari or Fogarty.

BBCR4, quizzes, comedy, current affairs

BBCR6 Music - eclectic music

RTE1 - Morning Ireland and Drivetime

Radio X - Moyles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

1. Kerrang Radio (UK on Tunein)
    2. Newstalk
    3. Today FM
    4. Nova
    5. K-Rock (US on Tunein)

Just a note on Kerrang - what a station for rock music fans. It's certainly not Planet Rock, but more focussed on 'modern rock classics' - mainly rock from the 90's through to today (with a bit of Iron Maiden thrown in for good measure) with continous promotion of new bands and new material from existing bands. Has the mix absolute spot on for me - very little repetition of music, and it draws from UK, US, Australia, Germany etc - very much international modern rock focused. It is DJ led but they generally just talk about rock music, festivals, who has new music coming out etc - they don't attempt to fill the airwaves with inane banter (ref every Irish station). Kind of an old format of radio but very refreshing today. Much better to listen to than just spotify playlists etc which have no character at all to them.

Slipknot at lunchtime is mad to listen to, followed up by perhaps Weezer and then maybe Pearl Jam - class!

Advertisement