Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Child Assessment

• 13-05-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi. I have had my son assessed by a Clinical Psychologist after some pressure from the school due to his behaviour.

The following is the recommendation from the psychologist:-

1. Childs teachers should be made aware of present assessment results.

2. Given childs diagnosis of specific learning disorder he should be exempt from studying Irish or a third language as set out in Department of Education circulars.

3. Child should receive learning support in school.

4. Further, a referral to the Dyslexia Association of Ireland might be of benefit to child at this time. (Contact information, Tel: 01 8776001 and/or, info@dyslexia.ie).

5. Given the significant difference between childs verbal cognitive ability and his nonverbal cognitive ability, his verbal working memory and his visual processing speed and previous speech & language assessment results he should be referred to speech & language for further assessment.

6. Given results of the present assessment and the finding that childs behaviour is indicative of ADHD Hyperactive/impulsive Type he should be referred to the Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service for further investigation and intervention if needed.

Is this a sufficient recommendation or should this be broken down into more detail can anyone tell me please?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How was this communicated to you, in writing only, or was anything explained by phone? Do you need to ask the psychologist for advice on the next steps about putting the points above into action? I would hope it's not unreasonable to ask and that the psych isn't just dumping you/your son back to the school to pick up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭clones1980

How was this communicated to you, in writing only, or was anything explained by phone? Do you need to ask the psychologist for advice on the next steps about putting the points above into action? I would hope it's not unreasonable to ask and that the psych isn't just dumping you/your son back to the school to pick up the pieces.

Thanks so much for your reply. The text above was copied from typed report. he said he's not that bad so he feels he doesn't need to do anything including some points in report that he had to put in. but I was in shock over the dyslexia diagnosis that I left without processing the information or asking anything.

His school have since said there is no way he has dyslexia and how dare he label a 7 year old child who goes to irish school. Although as I say they pushed and pushed until we went this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Did you go to a private Psychologist and did they give you a full report? If so, and your child was diagnosed with ADHD/Dyslexia, give a copy of the report to the school. They should then try to allocate time for an SNA to him each day. I think this varies from child depending on what the school is allocated.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD in Feb and I strongly suspect Dyslexia/Dyspraxia too. We are going to our first ADHD parents group this evening and they seem to be on regularly in different locations. Worth looking into if you want to know what supports are available and see how other parents manage certain situations. According to the Psychologist we attended, the child should also attend assessments for speech and language and hearing. I am also going to arrange for him to go to an occupational therapist maybe every second week - I have heard this helps a lot.

If you are unsure of the psychologist, I would get a second opinion.

Thanks for your reply. Yes this was a private assessment of my son. He has been having 30minute session once a week with a resource teacher but the school have said that's all they can allocate to him. He's been going to speech language therapy for two years and about to be re assessed next week. He's also been to an occupational therapist who said he has sensory modulation mainly difficulties with shoes not been right enough etc.

red petal wrote: »
    Did you go to a private Psychologist and did they give you a full report? If so, and your child was diagnosed with ADHD/Dyslexia, give a copy of the report to the school. They should then try to allocate time for an SNA to him each day. I think this varies from child depending on what the school is allocated.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD in Feb and I strongly suspect Dyslexia/Dyspraxia too. We are going to our first ADHD parents group this evening and they seem to be on regularly in different locations. Worth looking into if you want to know what supports are available and see how other parents manage certain situations. According to the Psychologist we attended, the child should also attend assessments for speech and language and hearing. I am also going to arrange for him to go to an occupational therapist maybe every second week - I have heard this helps a lot.

If you are unsure of the psychologist, I would get a second opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I found your situation a bit confusing. No reflection on you at all, just how it's been explained to you. Seems a bit much re the school's own comments, they're not experts on diagnosis. What's the road ahead do you think, other than what's been suggested?

• Advertisement

I made contact with the Psychologist about the schools concerns and he in turn made contact with the school and sent them information on working with kids with adhd.

He was also assessed by speech and language therapist since and has been discharged as they say he falls within the normal limits. They also did not see anything that would indicate he has dyslexia but they informed me that they cant make that diagnosis that only a clinical psychologist can. The school are adamant he does not have dyslexia and that he is academically in the top end of the class.

The psychologist explained while conducting these tests my child is been compared to say 1000 other children where English is their main language whereas my child is learning through the medium of Irish and is well behind children who are taught through English (if that makes sense, not sure I'm explaining myself very well)

I have also since started him on Omega 3 and Olive oil after coming across the Nemechek protocols and I cannot get over the difference in his concentration, memory and behaviour.

I have no idea at present what is ahead for him but I am due to meet the school to have a plan put in place with his new Muinteoir for September.

clonesbabe wrote: »
    I made contact with the Psychologist about the schools concerns and he in turn made contact with the school and sent them information on working with kids with adhd.

He was also assessed by speech and language therapist since and has been discharged as they say he falls within the normal limits. They also did not see anything that would indicate he has dyslexia but they informed me that they cant make that diagnosis that only a clinical psychologist can. The school are adamant he does not have dyslexia and that he is academically in the top end of the class.

The psychologist explained while conducting these tests my child is been compared to say 1000 other children where English is their main language whereas my child is learning through the medium of Irish and is well behind children who are taught through English (if that makes sense, not sure I'm explaining myself very well)

I have also since started him on Omega 3 and Olive oil after coming across the Nemechek protocols and I cannot get over the difference in his concentration, memory and behaviour.

I have no idea at present what is ahead for him but I am due to meet the school to have a plan put in place with his new Muinteoir for September.

Teachers can not diagnose. The clinical psychologist has done a degree, masters and doctorate to be able to diagnose so I would accept his assessment over their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

clonesbabe wrote: »
    The school are adamant he does not have dyslexia and that he is academically in the top end of the class.

My son has dyslexia and also scores very high in his stens and is also in the top end of his class..
    He has a high IQ and basically memorize things he needs to know and therefore hid his dyslexia very well for years.. the problem with this is that the workload increases and they will slip behind because there is only so much you can memorize or hide. My son struggles to get what’s in his head on to paper, but at 7/8/9, it’s not a huge issue - people with dyslexia aren’t dumb, I'm surprised your school suggested because he was doing well academically that he’s not dyslexic. I’m also surprised you had to give them info on dealing with adhd.. The school should be able to help you better than they already are. Your child is not the first to pass through their doors with adhd or dyslexia. Have they offered you any advise or offered your child movement breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭G&T22

Hi. In similar situation at the moment. Did you consider changing him to an English speaking school due to the exemption? I have changed schools from gaelscoil to English this coming term... it's a shock to the system alright. Even harder when you get varying opinions (same as us) all you want is the best for the child. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Advertisement