Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to revise a subject that you hate!

Options
  • 12-03-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I am currently in year 1 of an Accounts Technician Ireland course. I am out of education 20+ years (basically haven’t had to study anything since my leaving cert!) The course is made up of four modules, two what I would call ‘practical’ which I enjoy and can study no problem, and two which are very theory based. I am really struggling to study the theory based subjects with one in particular that I actively dislike. It’s not that it’s difficult, but it’s all buzz words and management speak which I find really grating. I sit down and try reading the book and I find it so hard to concentrate, focus or take anything in.

Also the way the exam questions are designed, you have to get a lot of information condensed into a small amount of time. Basically, you could have half a chapter of information but the question is only worth 4/5%. I am struggling with learning how to get the information across in a concise manner. I am beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed, exams are in two months and I am really worried I am not going to get the material covered or even if I do, get the information down on paper.

I guess my question is two fold, how do you teach yourself to revise material that you hate? And how do you learn the skill of getting what you know down on paper in the allocated time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I am currently in year 1 of an Accounts Technician Ireland course. I am out of education 20+ years (basically haven’t had to study anything since my leaving cert!) The course is made up of four modules, two what I would call ‘practical’ which I enjoy and can study no problem, and two which are very theory based. I am really struggling to study the theory based subjects with one in particular that I actively dislike. It’s not that it’s difficult, but it’s all buzz words and management speak which I find really grating. I sit down and try reading the book and I find it so hard to concentrate, focus or take anything in.

Also the way the exam questions are designed, you have to get a lot of information condensed into a small amount of time. Basically, you could have half a chapter of information but the question is only worth 4/5%. I am struggling with learning how to get the information across in a concise manner. I am beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed, exams are in two months and I am really worried I am not going to get the material covered or even if I do, get the information down on paper.

I guess my question is two fold, how do you teach yourself to revise material that you hate? And how do you learn the skill of getting what you know down on paper in the allocated time?

Hi. I am also doing this course! The online version. If it’s any consolation I’ve done a lot of exams in my life but am finding the theory based ones very difficult to study.

At the moment I’ve made a manageable study plan so that I’m focusing on small chunks. I’m also trying to rewatch lectures and have my own notes and only use the book as reference. I find the book incredibly text heavy & boring. I myself am an auditory learning so I read my own notes out loud (also another reason why I’m rewatching the lectures and listening).

We were giving a session on mind maps. You could give that a go but I know it doesn’t work for me. You could try it for a chapter & see if you find it effective.

I’m probably not being much help, but you’re certainly not alone.

Good luck! We still have over a month to prepare 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hi ladies.

That course offers 1 day revision seminars which might help you in the subject you're struggling with.
    Also, could say 4 of you get together in the course for a revision crash meet up.
    Each of you could take an equal number of chapters to revise and prepare and then in the group, each person takes their turn to 'teach' the chapters they have focused on to the other members.
    Each person would need to do mind maps or acronyms for their chapters to help the other people but hopefully with a group effort, then you should all fill a lot of gaps.
    Good luck!

To thine own self be true

Hi ladies.

That course offers 1 day revision seminars which might help you in the subject you're struggling with.
    Also, could say 4 of you get together in the course for a revision crash meet up.
    Each of you could take an equal number of chapters to revise and prepare and then in the group, each person takes their turn to 'teach' the chapters they have focused on to the other members.
    Each person would need to do mind maps or acronyms for their chapters to help the other people but hopefully with a group effort, then you should all fill a lot of gaps.
    Good luck!

Yes the revision days are supposed to be very beneficial. They can be attended in person or downloaded.
    The group session is a good idea too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the replies! Ginny I never thought of the online tutorials, I’m raging at myself, I could have been using them all along! I agree about the book, it’s very very wordy. I’m not familiar with mind maps, but will look them up and give them a go.

Thanks for the replies! Ginny I never thought of the online tutorials, I’m raging at myself, I could have been using them all along! I agree about the book, it’s very very wordy. I’m not familiar with mind maps, but will look them up and give them a go.

Our Business Management lecturer did a good session on mind mapping but I’m sure you can find similar stuff online.

Best of luck. I’ve no idea how it’s gotten to this part of the year already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It’s BM I struggle most with. I find it spoofy and full of management speak which I hate! If I can even scrape a pass mark I’ll be delighted.

It’s BM I struggle most with. I find it spoofy and full of management speak which I hate! If I can even scrape a pass mark I’ll be delighted.

Best of luck 😊

Advertisement