Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

308 ammo

• 12-05-2019 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Anyone have or know where I'd get light grain 308 ammo
    I'm sure there's a 308 man online here
    I'm currently using 123g sako 8.0g but just wondering can I get a lower grain to try
    Mainly target but also do deer and would like to tune things up for the season
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

Is it a 1 in 12 or 14 barrel you want to use that light a round?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hotshot123

Richard308 wrote: »
    Is it a 1 in 12 or 14 barrel you want to use that light a round?

Hi. It's 1 in 12 but all I know is the 123g are performing a lot better than 150g etc

Would you not try 140. 1 in 10 barrels shoot 120-180 reasonably well, so logic would dictate 1-12 should throw 140 similar to 123. I prefer the bigger thump onto an animal. But if 123 work why change? Just curiosity?
    Hotshot123 wrote: »
    Hi. It's 1 in 12 but all I know is the 123g are performing a lot better than 150g etc

Would you not try 140. 1 in 10 barrels shoot 120-180 reasonably well, so logic would dictate 1-12 should throw 140 similar to 123. I prefer the bigger thump onto an animal. But if 123 work why change? Just curiosity?
    I'm sure I'll keep trying and maybe 140g would suit but it is curiosity to see how they go through her.
    I wouldn't mind putting a box down just to see.
    Have you come across a lighter round?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just a thing, I'm not shooting a 308, but rather an '06, but I have used 123g Sako in the '06 and find them very accurate. I haven't pushed them at range so don't know what they are like further out. Although they are FMJ they are rated for vermin and 'bird' shooting but have yet to use them on live quarry. I would love to get my hands on some 123g SP.

The only thing I'd say is that pushing a 123g pill out of a 308 may give you lot of meat damage. The change over from a .243 100gr to the '06 150 / 180 grain bullets was a pleasant surprise in relation to lesser damage. Neck shooting mutes any argument with meat loss but the lighter faster moving rounds can do some damage compared to the heavier stuff. Plenty of lads use lower grain weight .243 ammo on deer to great effect but you would really need to know the circumstances of use to make a judgement call.
    The lighter bullets coming out of 25-06 and .270 where designed for longer ranges so close in shots might make a bit of a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The "lightest" round i've ever used was the Lapua 109 gr., FMJ They were lasers, and barrel burners. However i've not seen them in years.

Hornady do a few rounds in the 110 including a couple of v-max and one in the 100 gr mark. however i've not seen them for sale here.

They should work in a 1:12, but ideally you'd want a 1:14 or even a 1:13 twist to get optimal performance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    The "lightest" round i've ever used was the Lapua 109 gr., FMJ They were lasers, and barrel burners. However i've not seen them in years.

Hornady do a few rounds in the 110 including a couple of v-max and one in the 100 gr mark. however i've not seen them for sale here.

They should work in a 1:12, but ideally you'd want a 1:14 or even a 1:13 twist to get optimal performance.
    All sounds good guys.
    As I say it's curiosity
    123g are doing better than 150s and just thinking if I went 110g would it improve more or maybe I'm on it now.
    Would like to try all the same if they were available

If you're friendly enough with an RFD then ask them to include a few rounds with their next order.

I done this with a local RFD to me. Wanted 178gr A-Max and he order 200 of them when he placed his order with the supplier of Hornady. His usual order was in the 5,000 round mark, of various calibers, so he ordered the ones i wanted. I waited about a month for the order and had them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ANyone know anywhere with a decent selection of 308 stuff.

Doing some looking myself and after checking 9 stores online they all have the same two (some have three) brands and that includes typrs of ammo within those brands. IOW most had two maybe three boxes of 308 ammo and nothing else.

Has the 308 fallen so far that nobody bothers stocking for it. There was a time you couldn't move for 308 ammo. It's also not like they are focusing too much on another caliber. Just seems like piss poor selection and sky high prices.

Mike Duggan in Killarney carries fiochi, hornady, federal, rws, Winchester, ppu and others in variety of weights and tips from ballistic tip, fmj, soft point, etc

And no 308 won’t go away. I’ll keep it alive 😂

• Advertisement

Mike Duggan in Killarney carries fiochi, hornady, federal, rws, Winchester, ppu and others in variety of weights and tips from ballistic tip, fmj, soft point, etc

And no 308 won’t go away. I’ll keep it alive 😂
    Your right, they stocking 308 rifle but poor selection of ammo
    Must try Mike Duggan

Amazes me in such a digital age how many dealers have poorly run or no websites. If i check a website and see nothing i generally dismiss it until i cannot find it elsewhere then go back, get a number and ring.

Facebook is the choice for a lot nowadays but it's terrible for viewing purposes with no way to find stuff with a key word search.

Cass wrote: »
    Amazes me in such a digital age how many dealers have poorly run or no websites. If i check a website and see nothing i generally dismiss it until i cannot find it elsewhere then go back, get a number and ring.

Facebook is the choice for a lot nowadays but it's terrible for viewing purposes with no way to find stuff with a key word search.
    How many times have I heard a dealer tell me there's no money in guns...
    Why's that I wonder

Advertisement