Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FCA1 questions

Options
  • 13-05-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Just a few quick questions about the FCA1. So I just bought my first deer rifle, a .308. I’m a member of a range for the last 2 years so I will indeed use it for target shooting but I also want to use it for Deer at some stage all going well.
    2 questions. What is a reasonable amount of ammunition to request on the form?
    In section 5.1 -Wildlife Act Requirements, what do I put in here? I eventually do hope to hunt deer and with luck the in the coming season. Obviously I can’t attach a license as I can’t get one without a license for a rifle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Kran wrote: »
    Just a few quick questions about the FCA1. So I just bought my first deer rifle, a .308. I’m a member of a range for the last 2 years so I will indeed use it for target shooting but I also want to use it for Deer at some stage all going well.
    2 questions. What is a reasonable amount of ammunition to request on the form?
    In section 5.1 -Wildlife Act Requirements, what do I put in here? I eventually do hope to hunt deer and with luck the in the coming season. Obviously I can’t attach a license as I can’t get one without a license for a rifle.

Since you haven't got a deer licence yet that part of the firearms licence application is not really applicable. Your sole established good reason at the moment is target shooting. Having said that there's probably no harm in explaining your intentions in an accompanying letter.

To apply for a deer hunting licence you don't need to have possession of the rifle by the way. You can put a deposit on one and use the information relating to that rifle to put on the form. When you get both licences sorted pay the balance and take the rifle with you.

If NPWS decides to issue you the hunting licence that is your good reason to then apply to the Gardai for your firearms licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hack12

Kran wrote:
    Just a few quick questions about the FCA1. So I just bought my first deer rifle, a .308. I’m a member of a range for the last 2 years so I will indeed use it for target shooting but I also want to use it for Deer at some stage all going well. 2 questions. What is a reasonable amount of ammunition to request on the form? In section 5.1 -Wildlife Act Requirements, what do I put in here? I eventually do hope to hunt deer and with luck the in the coming season. Obviously I can’t attach a license as I can’t get one without a license for a rifle.

Recommended amount for Target Shooting as per commissioner guidelines is 1K rounds. Put in for 1K and see what you get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I’m a member of a range for the last 2 years so I will indeed use it for target shooting but I also want to use it for Deer at some stage all going well.

Tricky one.

To apply for hunting you need to provide the necessary hunting license as per section 5.1. If you don't have one then to apply for the rifle license with hunting as a good reason may get "shot down". To apply for the rifle license as target shooting only, by not ticking hunting in section 4.2, means if it's granted then it's only granted for target shooting and to use it for hunting is a breach of the conditions the license was granted for.

There are two ways to get around this:
    1. Apply for the deer license this year and tick hunting in section 4.2, tick Yes in section 5.1 with a note to say the license is applied for and won't be issued until August however as the rifle will have a dual purpose, target shooting, you need it for that too. This way if it's granted it'll be done for both hunting and target shooting.
    2. Apply for the rifle for target shooting in section 4.2 and tick hunting also. Don't bother to tick yes section 5.1 as it's only to hunt game with a season/license. There is nothing to say you cannot hunt with a 308 for other game than a deer. IOW while target shooting will be the primary purpose you can also use it to hunt non seasonal game (rabbits, foxes, etc.). This way if its granted it's granted for both target shooting and hunting. Then you won't be in breach of the license when you do eventually get the deer license.
    What is a reasonable amount of ammunition to request on the form?
    750 - 1,000.

Reasons to be considered are:
    • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    • I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
    • I need a stock of both target and hunting ammunition as each is different in design and purpose.
    • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to ensure a constant availability of the ammunition my rifle is zeroed for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

I think I might go for option 2 that Cass suggested. Should I just leave both boxes blank or tick no? I will write up an accompanying letter anyway basically saying that I intend to do both but I won’t be able to apply for the deer license until August. I’ve wrote up letters every time I’ve applied for a new firearm and NV scope and just explained why I wanted them and I’ve never been turned down so hopefully this will be the same.

Should I just leave both boxes blank or tick no? .
    Which section?

In 4.2 you need to tick one or the other or both.

In section 5.1 you need to tick yes unless you want the license granted for only for target shooting in which case you tick no.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Which section?

In 4.2 you need to tick one or the other or both.

In section 5.1 you need to tick yes unless you want the license granted for only for target shooting in which case you tick no.

You said “Apply for the rifle for target shooting in section 4.2 and tick hunting also. Don't bother to tick section 5.1 as it's only to hunt game with a season/license.“

Apologies. I've edited my post above. I meant to say "don't bother to tick yes in section 5.1"

Section 5.1 asks if you intend to hunt animals pursuant to the 1976 Wildlife act, etc, etc. The thing is you don't, at least for now so you apply for what you intend to do now. Deer is the only animal you can hunt with a rifle that requires a license. Everything else is either a shotgun only or no license needed (as in the general license for pheasant, duck, etc.)

Apologies. I've edited my post above. I meant to say "don't bother to tick yes in section 5.1"

Section 5.1 asks if you intend to hunt animals pursuant to the 1976 Wildlife act, etc, etc. The thing is you don't, at least for now so you apply for what you intend to do now. Deer is the only animal you can hunt with a rifle that requires a license. Everything else is either a shotgun only or no license needed (as in the general license for pheasant, duck, etc.)
    Perfect, thanks Cass

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

A related FCA1 question please.

I submitted my FCA1 a month ago. Should I have received a letter (‘within 10 working days’) confirming receipt of my application?

Thanks

Legally, yes.

Reality, no.

You are meant to receive a receipt upon submitting your application. The receipt is generated when your details are entered into PULSE. However as your details are not entered into PULSE until the entire process is completed you will find you get a receipt either just before, at the same time or even after you receive the grant letter.

Sometimes you won't get one at all.

Great isn't it!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Legally, yes.

Reality, no.

You are meant to receive a receipt upon submitting your application. The receipt is generated when your details are entered into PULSE. However as your details are not entered into PULSE until the entire process is completed you will find you get a receipt either just before, at the same time or even after you receive the grant letter.

Sometimes you won't get one at all.

Great isn't it!.

Thanks Cass.

Pity they cannot follow their own procedures (guidelines). It would be reassuring to know application has at least been received by FO and not lying around the front desk area/bin....

Advertisement