Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland is part of the WTO - how can Irish customs Tax goods from other members?

Options
  • 13-05-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi All,

OVer the past year I have bought several items from USA. Sometimes Irish customs delay my package and then slaps a large tax on them that I have to go and pay at the local post office.

WTO rules state that "No import tax on products from other member countries of the WTO" and Ireland has been a member since 1995

Am I missing something? Or is this another VRT scam?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Captcha wrote: »
    Hi All,

OVer the past year I have bought several items from USA. Sometimes Irish customs delay my package and then slaps a large tax on them that I have to go and pay at the local post office.

WTO rules state that "No import tax on products from other member countries of the WTO" and Ireland has been a member since 1995

Am I missing something? Or is this another VRT scam?

Please source your quote of the rules in question. The wto agreements are long and complex and I'm certain you have misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Import and trade tariffs are quite different to sales and consumption taxes.
    One is governed by WTO terms, the other is not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

VRT is also legal so I suspect you're getting fed gibberish by someone

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Thanks for the replies all!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

WTO is not a single tariff-free market like the EU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement