Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Health insurance as BIK

Options
  • 08-05-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

My health insurance is paid by my employer and I am obliged the pay taxes, and it appears as BIK YTD on my payroll around €1200 at the end of the year (so €110 something for each month). And I get €200 back when I fill my tax form at the end of the year.

I was wondering would it make any difference (to my advantage) if I choose and pay for my own health insurance? By that way I can decide which health insurance package I want etc. Or is it better that my employer pays for it?

Can't I get this €200 back at my tax form (Form 11) if I pay it for myself? Does it actually make any difference if I pay directly for the health insurance or if I only the taxes?

When I check the price of my health insurance, it's same (or similar) to the price that is listed on the health insurance website.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It’s better that your employer pays it. It’s a credit on your payslip, take it away and after you pay it yourself you’ll have less cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

If I pay it by myself, can't I claim it as expense on Form 11 at the end of the year?

bonjurkes wrote: »
    If I pay it by myself, can't I claim it as expense on Form 11 at the end of the year?

Yes, but the tax credit is capped at €200 which you’re already getting.

At the minute your health insurance is costing you the BIK on the monthly premium and you get €200 back each year.

Pay it yourself and you have to pay the same premium from your net salary and then get the same €200 back at the end of the year (or it’ll be built into the premium already).

The first option is cheaper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

Well still I didn't really understand how it works but I will leave it as it is. Thank you!

I’ve added a bit of an explanation above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

No, Health insurance is not tax deductible on your personal tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

No as tax relief is granted at source for medical insurance premiums paid by individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭Tow

If you want better cover talk to your employer. Most allow will allow for extra payments to cover spouse, children, better cover etc. The additional cost is not paid by the employer, but comes out of your pay as a net deduction.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement