Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Way to Shave Head?

• 25-01-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on this, I have a Philips Oneblade that was an unwanted Xmas gift but the blade is too small and the performance is worse every time aswell, they really are a shockingly bad razor, like a lightsabre at first then worse every time until you have to cough up the price of another razor for replacement blades.

Wet shaving seems like too much work and I don't want to be that bald yet, would still like a bit of stubble...

Do you just buy any rechargeable hair clippers like Remington or whatever or are there specific head shavers out there? Or some other system that I've missed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I use a Remington rechargeable one for my head and face and it's spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fast reply! Is that a hairdressers clippers or the three round heads type though?

Thargor wrote: »
    Fast reply! Is that a hairdressers clippers or the three round heads type though?

Hairdressers clippers. Fairly narrow but cuts really well even two years later. There's an adjustable blade thing for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc but I'm not sure where mine is as I only use it as a 0. Holds a charge for yonks too.
    Never liked the three round head ones as I always found them very harsh on the skin. The back of my head and my throat look like someone took a blowtorch to me for at least 12 hours after using one.

Edit - This one:

Remington MB4045 Beard Kit Black With Brown Trim https://g.co/kgs/vCwP8r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Wahl balding clippers are a good choice, but ive started using mach 3 now tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hairdressers clippers. Fairly narrow but cuts really well even two years later. There's an adjustable blade thing for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc but I'm not sure where mine is as I only use it as a 0. Holds a charge for yonks too.
    Never liked the three round head ones as I always found them very harsh on the skin. The back of my head and my throat look like someone took a blowtorch to me for at least 12 hours after using one.

I use a Philip's one that has the 3 round heads. Use it for my head and face. Used to come out in a rash but after a while I got used to it and don't get a rash anymore. Secret to using it I find is don't let the stubble grow too long on either head or face and it will work great. I usually use it every 2nd day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If your going to buy one, buy a proper one if your going to be shaving every couple of weeks.
    Don’t buy from Argos or anything like that,
    Go into one of those salon shops that sell stuff to businesses too, the shavers are much better quality.

I have a Wahl Clippers now and had a TEK clippers for over a decade before that , the reason I had to change it was I dropped it and broke it.

As for shaving I use the clippers on my head and face, always leave tight stubble on the face and whatever you want to do on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Skull Shaver is the only way to go imho. Wet or dry, it works a treat.

Passenger wrote: »
    Skull Shaver is the only way to go imho. Wet or dry, it works a treat.

I'd love to try one of them but I'd be afraid to spend that money for something that could leave me scalded. Would be so handy though.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd love to try one of them but I'd be afraid to spend that money for something that could leave me scalded. Would be so handy though.
    Amazon reviews arent even that good, 3/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I use one of these on my head. As said above it is suited to frequent cuts. I do mine every second day.

Have gone through the whole range from blade 2 down to the wet shave, but find the foil shaver the handiest. Its less than a 5 min job now, and no need to be getting all messy with the shaving foam etc.
    I find it actually gives a cleaner cut than a wet shave.

• Advertisement

Dropped my Oneblade on the floor and snapped the crappy plastic mechanism off the top halfway through a shave yesterday right before I was supposed to go out, was going to stay in and get a hairdresser to sort it this morning but I had the Aldi rip-off of the Gilette Mach 3 unopened sitting in a drawer so I lathered up my head with shaving foam and tried a manual shave for the first time. Complete success! I should have just shaved like this from the start without all the faffing around, lovely close shave in half the time, zero discomfort, cant stop stroking it now...

I did have to clear the blade with the tip of a Swiss army knife a few times when it became clogged with hair, too much for the tap to budge but I think from now that my hair is shorter on it will just be stubble that can be rinsed away. I was worried it was a bit too bald but I woke up this morning and had a nice stubble already, I look a couple of years younger if I do say so myself, couldn't be happier with the result tbh, dont have to bring anything electric on holidays anymore with me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

I have shaved my noggin for over twenty years with a Mach3, by far the best results clippers are a waste of time.

GIMP wrote: »
    I have shaved my noggin for over twenty years with a Mach3, by far the best results clippers are a waste of time.
    Its fecking brilliant, I honestly dont understand why Ive been faffing around with clippers for so many years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

GIMP wrote: »

No question. Clean and a proper job.
    Electric clippers never get close enough and those 3 head yokes leave more dirt and debris in your skin than a coal mine!

If you can get genuine shaving soap and a shaving brush for sensible money that's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

For what it's worth, I've recently gotten the Remington HC4250 QuickCut and it's super easy to use and clean. Gets very close but obviously not as close as a wet shave.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012F8MS9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tvK7CbEPRKSE4

I'm going to pick up the Aldi Mach3 knock off and see how that fares this weekend.

For what it's worth, I've recently gotten the Remington HC4250 QuickCut and it's super easy to use and clean. Gets very close but obviously not as close as a wet shave.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012F8MS9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tvK7CbEPRKSE4

I'm going to pick up the Aldi Mach3 knock off and see how that fares this weekend.
    I've noticed with the Aldi one after the first shave it gets very clogged with hair and need a needle or something to keep cleaning it as you go. I put a new blade in my Gillette Fatboy safety razor and am using that now, such a clean shave its addictive.

I've noticed with the Aldi one after the first shave it gets very clogged with hair and need a needle or something to keep cleaning it as you go. I put a new blade in my Gillette Fatboy safety razor and am using that now, such a clean shave its addictive.

Jumped the gun and bought a pack of disposable Bic 1's. Super close shave but nicked myself a good few times as its been a decade since I've probably shaved with a razor!

Either way, very happy with the shaved head but might save it for special occasions as it took ages to do properly. The Remington looks almost the same and takes 1/10 of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

recently purchased a boldking (https://shop.boldking.com/ie/en-gb) online, they are on offer and its a one off charge or subscription type service (blades every month etc.)

Check on facebook for discount offers too.

Very impressed so far although my head is taking sometime to get used to the closer shave.

I'm generalising here but I found that it's the soap or more often gel that clogs the blades. Also cheaper "own brand" blades will clog up and cut like Edward Sissorhands has been at you. Several decades of head shaving mean I now use only Mach3 and proper shaving soap & brush. I have a drawer full of ProRaso shaving soaps from trips to Italy. It's absurdly cheap there. It's about €8 in my local chemist, it's recently gone up to a crazy €2 in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I used to use the Mach 3 before moving to the Wahl 5 Star mentioned above. I found that the occasional lump taken out of the back of my head (usually at the most inopportune time) was the biggest drawback to the wet shave. The 5 Star costs a bit more in replacing foils though, but knowing that there is zero chance of a bleed pretty much makes it worth it.

Are you saying that using a shaving soap like the above would reduce the cuts I sometime got?

• Advertisement

Are you saying that using a shaving soap like the above would reduce the cuts I sometime got?

Well essentially yes. It's far smoother. I might still occasionally get a nick but it will be around the neck! If I get a cut on teh head it's because I went sideways instead of with the blade. You know what I mean!

King of Shaves oil is very good too and economical. I just haven't seen it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on this, I have a Philips Oneblade that was an unwanted Xmas gift but the blade is too small and the performance is worse every time aswell, they really are a shockingly bad razor, like a lightsabre at first then worse every time until you have to cough up the price of another razor for replacement blades.

Wet shaving seems like too much work and I don't want to be that bald yet, would still like a bit of stubble...

Do you just buy any rechargeable hair clippers like Remington or whatever or are there specific head shavers out there? Or some other system that I've missed?

Oooh shaved heads are VERY sexy ...call me ;)

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'm generalising here but I found that it's the soap or more often gel that clogs the blades. Also cheaper "own brand" blades will clog up and cut like Edward Sissorhands has been at you. Several decades of head shaving mean I now use only Mach3 and proper shaving soap & brush. I have a drawer full of ProRaso shaving soaps from trips to Italy. It's absurdly cheap there. It's about €8 in my local chemist, it's recently gone up to a crazy €2 in Italy.
    Ive switched to a Gillette Fatboy that I had lying around now, bought a pack of Gillette 7 O Clock Super Platinum blades on Ebay, about 20c each, absolutely lovely shave with it, you'd need to wax to get it smoother and its impossible to clog by design because of the big open spaces around the blade, absolutely love using it:

f23fqzc.jpg

It will bite you if you go too fast though.

EDIT: The sensitive foam in LIDL is all I use btw, massive black can for a Euro or two, lovely and smooth, feels like a moisturiser.

Ive switched to a Gillette Fatboy that I had lying around now....

I'm old enough to have shaved with that type of razor once upon a time... I don't think I could go back!

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'm old enough to have shaved with that type of razor once upon a time... I don't think I could go back!
    Not a fan of it on my face but on the head theres nothing better imo, I cant stop rubbing my head afterwards.

Not a fan of it on my face but on the head theres nothing better imo, I cant stop rubbing my head afterwards.

Well if it got closer than my trusty Mach3 i'd be rubbing bone!

Ive switched to a Gillette Fatboy that I had lying around now, bought a pack of Gillette 7 O Clock Super Platinum blades on Ebay, about 20c each, absolutely lovely shave with it, you'd need to wax to get it smoother and its impossible to clog by design because of the big open spaces around the blade, absolutely love using it:

f23fqzc.jpg

EDIT: The sensitive foam in LIDL is all I use btw, massive black can for a Euro or two, lovely and smooth, feels like a moisturiser.

Have ordered a safety razor off Aliexpress this week, and I'm quite excited to see how it fares up on my head.

Might try that shaving foam recommendation when my Nivea shaving gel runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's hard beat the Mach 3 for shaving your head imo.
    I have tried Wahl Balding,Philip's electric razor plus many more and Mach 3 comes out on top .

Get good quality shaving soap and a brush ,it makes a huge difference.It takes about 5 mins to shave my head and I find I never get cuts on my head although I would an odd time shaving my face.

I tried DE feather blades on my head and it gives a great shave but takes a lot longer and is more chance of a nick.

Have ordered a safety razor off Aliexpress this week, and I'm quite excited to see how it fares up on my head.

Might try that shaving foam recommendation when my Nivea shaving gel runs out.

Shaved with the Double Edge safety razor earlier and to be fair, it's definitely a closer shave than a cartridge razor.

It's a far more involved process but will take some getting used to. I nicked myself about six or seven times and was glad of my new alum block to halt the bleeding after!

• Advertisement
Advertisement