Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Floors & Carpeting

• 02-05-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all I am hoping someone here can give me some advice.

We have a new build and are getting semi-solid wood downstairs and carpet on the stairs and upstairs. We had it planned so floors would go in first and carpet after as family told us all the dust from laying the floors would ruin the carpet.

Unfortunately the wood was delayed and now there looks like there will be an overlap between the 2 fittings.

My question is will the dust from fitting the floors ruin the carpet or would a hoover sort it out? And secondly, if we got all the flooring done in the hall area first (where the stairs is) so could then have doors shut and that area sealed off while the floor was layed in the other downstairs rooms would that prevent the carpets being ruined?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in mill in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

I laid laminate after carpet, and I just gave it a hoover at the end of the day.

Trick is to try to avoid walking the dust deep into the carpet. It'll still come out of course, but it just makes it a little more drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would you not just cut the wood outside?

Take ages, though, in and out every five minutes.

Just keep hoovering as you go. Don't let loads of dust build up under the floor you're laying or you'll get crunching noises when you walk on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Take ages, though, in and out every five minutes.

Just keep hoovering as you go. Don't let loads of dust build up under the floor you're laying or you'll get crunching noises when you walk on it.

Not really. I used to install timber floors. Used to cut outside a lot of the time.

Mark the lengths and cut a few pieces at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Not really. I used to install timber floors. Used to cut outside a lot of the time.

Mark the lengths and cut a few pieces at a time.

Wot he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would you use a handsaw or a jigsaw, less dust than a chopsaw and not much slower , any of the cuts will be covered by skirting, and laminate destroys chopsaw blades

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

shane272 wrote: »
    Hi all I am hoping someone here can give me some advice.

We have a new build and are getting semi-solid wood downstairs and carpet on the stairs and upstairs. We had it planned so floors would go in first and carpet after as family told us all the dust from laying the floors would ruin the carpet.

Unfortunately the wood was delayed and now there looks like there will be an overlap between the 2 fittings.

My question is will the dust from fitting the floors ruin the carpet or would a hoover sort it out? And secondly, if we got all the flooring done in the hall area first (where the stairs is) so could then have doors shut and that area sealed off while the floor was layed in the other downstairs rooms would that prevent the carpets being ruined?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in mill in advance :)

Get a roll of that slightly sticky, self adhesive carpet protector film. I've seen it in Chadwicks but you might have to dig around. Easy to apply and completely solves at worries you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fizah1410

Nice information.

Advertisement