Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Telling Principal I'm resigning

• 01-05-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I've been teaching in my present school for almost 15 years now and want to move to a different school come September. I'm wondering how many months notice do I need to give my Principal? I'm a permanent member of staff so my ASTI rep told me three months. However, I have some family commitments so while I want to leave my present school, I wouldn't go for less than a 20/22 hour contract to another school with a reasonable commute. So my question is, should I tell my principal that I'm resigning at the start of June, and hope to get something in the summer months or should I wait until I have another job secured and then tell them I'm resigning? My big issue is if they would make me work the three months' notice from when I tell them I'm off, and therefore that could delay my start date in my new school? Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Give him 6 weeks notice, it's generous enough. He'd have no problem telling you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

6 month break in service , new nightmare pension scheme .ONE DAY break - change in PRSI class .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I work in an ETB (permanent teacher) and it's one month's notice. Principals have to give three months notice. I wouldn't say anything until you have another job secured, particularly if you don't find anything suitable and you end up working another year in your current school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

I work in an ETB (permanent teacher) and it's one month's notice. Principals have to give three months notice. I wouldn't say anything until you have another job secured, particularly if you don't find anything suitable and you end up working another year in your current school.

I left a school where was permanent after 12 years. They ring the principal for reference before you go for interview which is so unfair :( My principal told me so you would have to say something. Be careful leaving a CID job - i’m still part time after 4 years leaving my job. parochial politics still alive in rural Ireland today unfortunately

Snapgal wrote: »
    I left a school where was permanent after 12 years. They ring the principal for reference before you go for interview which is so unfair :( My principal told me so you would have to say something. Be careful leaving a CID job - i’m still part time after 4 years leaving my job. parochial politics still alive in rural Ireland today unfortunately

Not every school operates like that. Some ring afterwards and they can only ring the references on the application. A teacher left my school earlier this year and didn’t list the principal as a reference and he had no idea until she told him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

I thought they were allowed to ring your current employer even if not on the reference list. Not just for teaching but any job?

infor123 wrote: »
    I thought they were allowed to ring your current employer even if not on the reference list. Not just for teaching but any job?

The teacher in the above post asked her new principal why he didn't contact her old principal and he said he couldn't under GDPR. She didn't give him as a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

The teacher in the above post asked her new principal why he didn't contact her old principal and he said he couldn't under GDPR. She didn't give him as a reference.

Good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Good to know.

My local ETB which is a large ETB to whom I have applied to last week said on application form said they would contact referees without asking for permission from me - where is GDPR especially from a ETB? I worked last year with an ETB school in another county and was constantly getting emails or info from our principal about not breeching GDPR rules. A lot of principals do ring your principal even though you don’t get job - has happened to me more than once in the last 4 years. I don’t agree with it at all especially if they not giving you the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I was told from a principal that they usually scan your CV for schools and principals that they know and ring them for references whether they are your referees or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Snapgal wrote: »
    My local ETB which is a large ETB to whom I have applied to last week said on application form said they would contact referees without asking for permission from me - where is GDPR especially from a ETB? I worked last year with an ETB school in another county and was constantly getting emails or info from our principal about not breeching GDPR rules. A lot of principals do ring your principal even though you don’t get job - has happened to me more than once in the last 4 years. I don’t agree with it at all especially if they not giving you the position.

An ETB following rules ... all I can say is :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

They all know each other

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lisa2017

Would you consider applying for a transfer instead of resigning? We have 2 permanent teachers on staff who transfered into our College. HQ would know if this is possible for you.

Advertisement