Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Qualifying to teach Learning Support/Resource

Options
  • 02-05-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi folks,

As with many new Secondary School teachers, I'm struggling to find permanent work. I've been qualified for three years and have worked consistently but only covering Career Breaks and Maternity Leave. My subjects are about as permanently unemployable as it gets (History & CSPE) so I don't see that changing. I'd like to do something to make myself more employable. I see that schools are looking for a lot of Learning Support/Resource teachers so I've been thinking of trying to become qualified in that. Does anyone know of the specific qualification that you would need?

https://www.dcu.ie/courses/Postgraduate/institute_of_education/Professional-Certificate-Diploma-Special-and-Inclusive
    Would this course make me fully qualified to teach Learning Support/Resource? I'm quite unsure of what I'd need to do to become qualified and I'm finding it hard to find answers online.

I really appreciate the help. I'm at a bit of a loss. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

Truthfully, I have found learning support/reource is usually used as a filler subject for other mainstream teachers. I completed the course in the hope of getting teaching hours in special ed, and found resource/learning support is looked down upon by other teachers, as a filler until you get more of your own hours in a subject. I would advice someone to think about career guidance / or doing a post grad in speech and language or occupational therapy if they hoped to work in the area of special needs, as there is more work in these areas, and they are jobs which are viewed in a more positive manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I agree, in my school anyone is put into learning support or resource as a timetable filler. Another subject would be more beneficial if possible. Career guidance teachers are also aplenty in my school but maybe ours is unique?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I agree, in my school anyone is put into learning support or resource as a timetable filler. Another subject would be more beneficial if possible. Career guidance teachers are also aplenty in my school but maybe ours is unique?

Join the " Special education teachers Ireland supporting each other " group on Facebook. They're a very mixed bunch but if you specify your area (primary, secondary, special school (excuse the term!) you'll get a better response.
    They're very knowledgeable on what courses are good, practical and up to date. You could spend 2 years doing a masters on government policy but not get any practical advice. Whereas a 2 week course in autism might be more desirable from a school.
    Have a look around for July provision ,it's only a couple of hours a day but can be full on in terms of mental commitment. Parents advertise all over the place though. Special schools run through June too so if you're secondary you could look for sub work there.
    Special ed varies a great deal in how its supported from school to school so its pot luck getting a decent 'respected' profession out of it.

Advertisement