Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't try to insure a second car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yep , car insurance in Ireland is a challenge alright...I don't know why they don't mirror the NCB over to a second car like you can only drive one of them at a time so it's hardly additional risk as long as they are both yours.

I have two cars , not because I need 2 but because I love cars and wanted 2 one as my daily driver and one as my weekend cruiser. I have two policies , main policy with AIG and Classic Policy with Autoline who I actually think are under written by AIG.

This seems to be the only legit way of getting a second policy is one is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Guy on the phone said they were trying to gain customers at the moment.

No surprise considering how they treated their current customers for last few years, they musy have lost big percentage of them. So surely they need new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

soc wrote: »
    Unfortunately Car Insurance in Ireland is that you can only have ONE Car Insurance policy in your name. As soon as you look for a second, separate policy, like what you are doing, they treat that new policy as if you're a brand new person, with ZERO NCB, and you get charged full whack of premium with no discounts, and the fact that the car is 2005, premium would be fully loaded.

If you have a partner who doesn't have a car insurance policy of their own, they could take out the policy, and have you as a named driver, assuming they have NCB that would discount the premium.

Aviva don't. You do have to get a second policy though but your NCB and experience do transfer.

Multicar is also an option with Aviva IF you're over 40.

What I wonder is if you get second policy and start building your NCB from scratch can you actually have 2 separate Full NCB after 5 years. And then have 2 cheap policies both with full experience and full NCB?

What happens if you have a claim in one of your policies? You loose that NCB but does NCB from other policy stays intact and does your premium on other policy stay intact?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

CiniO wrote: »
    What I wonder is if you get second policy and start building your NCB from scratch can you actually have 2 separate Full NCB after 5 years. And then have 2 cheap policies both with full experience and full NCB?

What happens if you have a claim in one of your policies? You loose that NCB but does NCB from other policy stays intact and does your premium on other policy stay intact?

I have two policies, with full NCB built up on each one separately.
    Can't answer the second part, and touch wood never have to find out. But I would hope that it would only be the policy that had the claim against it that losses it's NCB.
    Although, given the question asked of any accidents, claims or convictions etc on renewal, you may not lose the NCB, but you could find yourself being loaded if you were found to be at fault / increased risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

No surprise considering how they treated their current customers for last few years, they musy have lost big percentage of them. So surely they need new ones.

I think all insurance companies are bastards, you just need to limit how much harm they cause you.

I have changed a few times, always because they have tried to rip me off. I am running out of possibilities.

AA -> bastards
    AXA -> bastards
    Aviva -> Only a matter of time before I conclude, BASTARDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Do you not shop around? They all penalise the lazy. Ring them up and tell them you got a better quote and they will likely match it.

I did. And was quoted 50euro extra !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its bordering on the criminal how they can dictate the prices. When renewing I asked the lady on the phone( I made it clear I wasn't blaming her) how is my insurance going up year by year with no claims. Waffle Waffle Waffle ok thanks bye.

I think all insurance companies are bastards, you just need to limit how much harm they cause you.

IS!

I think there is a difference though.
    My wife had Aviva policy on a car for years, and eventually we had very bad experience with them. They made us trouble for the whole year requiring documents out of the blue, and eventually they left us stranded on the other side of the country when we tried to pick up a car we just bought making us unable to drive it.
    After renewal we took policy with someone else even though it was considerable more expensive.

On the other hand I had a policy with Allianz for over 10 years and they always accommodated my needs and dealing with them was always good experience. Obviously premium was high as every insurer in Ireland, but at least customer service was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

wonski wrote: »
    I checked my 05 on all possible levels of covers and tpft was always the cheapest, so not sure where Del got this idea. I would obviously pick comprehensive, even if I wasn't to use it anyway to protect the ncb.

TPFT is different from TPO. So we both have the same experience, the only thing which makes old cars expensive to insure is if you don't insure the actual car.

• Advertisement

I have a separate bike and car policy because we don't have 6 wheel policies either. If I have a claim on 1 I loose that NCD, the other I will still have my full NCD but my premium will be affected by the claim on the other policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Del2005 wrote: »
    TPFT is different from TPO. So we both have the same experience, the only thing which makes old cars expensive to insure is if you don't insure the actual car.

We don't have the same experience because you said that older cars are expensive to insure as we do pay extra for going for full comprehensive. Maybe some people do make mistakes like that, but I definitely didn't and the difference between levels of covers was minimal.

Most insurers don't even offer tpo, tpft is a basic level of cover these days.

Edit:It was actually the other way around - tpft was way more expensive than comprehensive in your example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Del2005 wrote: »
    premiums seem to go up a lot once a car is 13 years old.

My mother has a 03 car. If she insured it 3rd party the cheapest quote is nearly €2k for fully comp its only a few hundred Euro. It's not the car that's the problem it's the people taking out 3rd party insurance on old cars.
    Whaaaat?? What's going on with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I have 2 vehicles insured in my name, on separate policy's, with different insurance companies. One costs about €380 (a 12 year old 1.2 car) and the other costs about €600 (a 20 year old 4x4 commercial). Both have a full NCB. I've never had any difficulty doing this.

There's something thing wrong in the insurance sector ...who you gonna call.....another insurance company you might get 50quid less. Your local TD? Maybe with the euro elections comming up we could email the candidate s with our rightious bile.

Actually that mightn't be a bad idea as alot of good legislation comes from Europe, they might put a few manners on us!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've 4 cars insured. 2015 1.5, 1998 2.8, 1980 1.3, 1976 1.0

All comes in at under 1K fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

antodeco wrote: »
    I've 4 cars insured. 2015 1.5, 1998 2.8, 1980 1.3, 1976 1.0

All comes in at under 1K fully comp.

with who?

Muppet Man wrote: »
    with who?

Split over 2 policies, 123 and First Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭BrianD3

antodeco wrote: »
    Split over 2 policies, 123 and First Ireland.
    Classic car policy for the 98, 80 and 76?

I asked First Ireland about classic policies a few years ago and they wouldn't help me as the cars i was asking about, while old enough, weren't deemed to be classics. I note on their Classic Car assumptions page
    The Vehicle MUST NOT:
    be mass produced. (Car types such as a Fiat Punto do not qualify under our classic car scheme)
    LMAO at this given that the vast majority of cars produced for many decades have been "mass produced".

• Advertisement

Yup. My 98 is a BMW, so mass produced is my assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stone12

A few years ago my insurance company Axa,quoted me 1000 punts - up from 600 the year before. I went to Hibernian for my 600 punts quote. My workmate had to do the same move only in reverse- he got my 600 punts quote from my old insurance company - does any of that make sense to anybody !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stone12

Is it true that in the USA insurance is paid on the price of fuel - which means everyone has insurance all the time. Sounds really ideal - imagine all the suits who would have to find some other sugar daddy to keep them in the luxury they have become accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have 2 cars insured with separate companies.

I got no NCB on the second one but I did get a discount for being an accident free named driver on my my wife's car policy. There's no logic to insurance here.

No insurance in the USA is getting as bad if not worse than here, people are paying several hundred Dollars a month for fairly modest vehicles. New Zealand, and IIRC Australia, have basic insurance a part of their vehicle registration process but it covers feck all so most people take out extra insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Whatever system of funding compensation for injury and damage is in place, it will still have to be administered (assessors, legal, finance, medical etc.) Do you honestly think that applying a cost to motor tax or fuel will lead to savings for the motorist if the system is run by a government department and civil servants?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SherryG

hi blackbox, what company in Ireland is that with? thx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Why did you reopen a zombie post...

I just wasted my time reading this ancient non issue..😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

suspicious? to who? Maybe it will be a future classic?? I was not a fan of that particular model some of the older Astras and Kadets more so, what mileage is on it? another year and you might be able to get it on Classic Insurance from the North? I have a car a bit older than 20 years on classic insurance from the North.

Do you have a partner, mother or sibling who doesn't drive much but is a named driver on another policy, ie transfer it into the name of someone you trust (keep the reg document and get them to sign it to transfer it back to you anyway so you can transfer it to yourself or anyone else if you decide to sell). They might be able to use their record to get insurance in their name, which may take into account their driving history, but with you as a named driver? and still keep their named driver status elsewhere. You were expecting to pay insurance anyway, if you paid for that, then it is covered.

The only other option is, transfer the vehicle to someone as mentioned above (so someone that you trust) and check or change your insurance so you have driving of other vehicles covered on your own policy.

How about try ringing brokers? rather than the big insurance companies.

Advertisement