Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Grand Tour [Amazon]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Patww79 wrote: »
    Finish watching? Then nobody does as only the first has been on.

The second part was released the following day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Harcrid wrote: »
    The second part was released the following day.

Ah, thanks. Might go back and watch it so. By all accounts it did get better but the start did just seem by-the-numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

Watched the first episode of Colombia.
    It could possibly be the worst bit of TV the lads have ever done.
    A full hour of nothing but badly scripted sh1te and bad comedy.
    The second part needs to be seriously good to balance it out.

.red. wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of Colombia.
    It could possibly be the worst bit of TV the lads have ever done.
    A full hour of nothing but badly scripted sh1te and bad comedy.
    The second part needs to be seriously good to balance it out.

And part 2 wasn't much better.

I'd love it if they took up a challenge, anything at all and had a go of it. Something like the Polar special. No BS, just straight in and let the filming, the scenery and the cars be the stars, not 3 old men trying too hard to be funny with the same jokes they did 15 years back.

.red. wrote: »
    And part 2 wasn't much better.

I'd love it if they took up a challenge, anything at all and had a go of it. Something like the Polar special. No BS, just straight in and let the filming, the scenery and the cars be the stars, not 3 old men trying too hard to be funny with the same jokes they did 15 years back.

Yeah watched the rest today, it was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fourth episode was poor enough, not to say I didn't laugh at some of the stupid stuff. I'd like have seen more thrashing about in the Welsh countryside rather than the guns - it amounted to nothing. I'm sure the stuff about transgender, aid workers, etc, will have offended the right people, namely The Guardian. The Jag Project 8 bit was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The best bit about watching the latest episode is that in 6 months time I'll be able to go back and watch the Jag segment without having to endure the rest.

I just wish I knew that information now,

Far better episode than anything in the Colombia one for me. Studio parts better than most of the series so far too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

This weeks episode was really not too bad. A couple of solid segments about actual cars, with no infantile, inappropriate, offensive humour, and a really nice film about Jim Clark.

We own a horse too, Hammond's rant in conversation street was spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

First part was a bit on the dull side, tbh. Second part a lot better. Great ad for Colombia. The hummingbirds were a real treat, surpassed only by the hippos.

That episode was probably the best nature program I've watched in a long time :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Jim Clark film was excellent - informative and moving.

The Neo was good. China's road network is rather something, breathtaking even.

Suitably spectacular postcard from the heavens of Scotland.

Much demand for Alpinas in right hand drive, or did they just do that for the show?

Re May’s story about the guy in the toilet of the cross channel ferry, I’m sure I’ve heard it before - did Clarkson tell it on QI once?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Anjobe wrote: »
    Re May’s story about the guy in the toilet of the cross channel ferry, I’m sure I’ve heard it before - did Clarkson tell it on QI once?

4mins20 in

And Clarkson in Qi season 8 episode 10
    The worst thing Jeremy ever experienced, when he was on his own and did want to help, was when he was on a cross-channel ferry during a storm. The boat was rocking and everyone else was being violently seasick. He went to the toilets and looked under the cubical doors where he saw that they were all occupied by people being sick. As the ship rolled a businessman in his suit was on the floor and the sick flowed over his head, and he was sick as well. The man then looked Jeremy straight in the eye and said: "Kill me."

3.08 Forgotten most of this now, bar the RV stuff. Yes, that first one was very Breaking Bad. Dune buggies entertained somewhat.

3.09 Good film from James on space, cars and Armstrong's Corvette. Clearly meant something to him. The Aston wasn't bad.

There's some rehash with stunts and the scripted antics, unavoidable given how long they've been at this.

3.10...think this was largely UK based.

3.11 - Watched half last week and half on Friday. Georgia, Azerbaijan...surely some films are filmed there, or should be? Will say the thing with the farmer was unexpected, sad. Good to see Abbie in the field. As for the DBS on the track..er.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So I resubscribed to Amazon Prime for something else and decided to take a look at the latest series. I'm not seeing anything I haven't seen before. I'm kind of glad this isn't Top Gear anymore.

I thought the latest episode was as good as any they've done.

So an era ends with some enjoyable Ford nostalgia. My dad never owned a Cortina but rather bizarrely got a Sierra RS Cosworth as a loaner for a couple weeks once when his own car was being repaired.

Altogether a bit of mixed bag in this series, nothing really new but some nice features, some quite enjoyable travel films, and some of the worst stuff they have ever done on either this or TG. Lets hope the "specials" they do next year are more like Mongolia and less like Colombia!

Guilty as charged.
    Dad had a Taunus 1.6L
    My first car was a Taunus 2.0L

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Am I right in thinking that there's no way to watch these episodes online other than by buying an Amazon Prime subscription? Not available on DVD or to purchase individually from amazon, for example?

I know they end up on YouTube over time, but would love to watch the Mongolia episode as it's a spectacular place

3.12 Bonkers money for the Lancias, really. Good piece from May, could easily have been longer.

13.13 Mongolia - Not sure it's the best special as Clarkson said, maybe just in Grand Tour terms. Not much antics which helped. Although the terrain was fairly flat in some of the greener parts, conditions were quite unforgiving. Did enjoy the landscape and it's hard to top animals in full flow. Good stuff from John too.

13.14 - Good piece about Ford. No May behind the wheel at all? How much would Cosworth insurance cost now? Could have dropped a skip on the Picnic, but then you'd have lost the Python reference - dab of four Yorkshiremen was there earlier, in Conversation Street. Nice montage at the end and well said. Yes, it's institution, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I watched the season 3 episode on the trip from Georgia - Azarbaijan-....

again too much scripted nonsense.... (oh no I'm lost) as they follow the camera crew..

the views of Georgia and Azarbaijan were spectacular though, worth remarking on. the cars were sweet too...

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

cdeb wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that there's no way to watch these episodes online other than by buying an Amazon Prime subscription? Not available on DVD or to purchase individually from amazon, for example?

I know they end up on YouTube over time, but would love to watch the Mongolia episode as it's a spectacular place

Yes thee is you just need to know where to look. Can't say here do as not allowed to. You need good internet connection do. I have not watched 1 full episode of The Grand Tour yet and will wait till they are on T.V.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Amazon has free Prime trials every now and then.
    Wait for one of those, sign up and watch the beejesus out of the Grand Tour.

Something new to look forward to on December 13th.

Something new to look forward to on December 13th.

Cheers,
    I was only wondering last week when the first one would be out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I'm looking forward to this one. I like Clarksons boat the best and think it should be a laugh.

Advertisement