Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herringbone laminate or engineered wood?

• 24-03-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi

I had my heart set on the herringbone look for my flooring in a new extension and hall. I got a quote yesterday on a good looking laminate, but the cost of fitting is really high: €1800!!

I then asked for a quote on the engineered wood, strips, not herringbone, and the cost of installation is cheaper, bringing the overall cost to more or less the same as the herringbone laminate.

My question is: do I invest in the better quality floor asset (the wood) or go for the design style I had in mind? And if so does anyone know where I can get a fitter in the Midlands who doesn't cost €1800/!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 james 17

hey,
    I have recently fitted herringbone in laminate and the solid wood herringbone with joints
    glued and floor floated ,they both look great but take time to fit. how many square metres have you to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

HI James - I have about 50 square metres.
    What about engineered herringbone?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Rmgblue

In situations like this I take a week to decide and if I still can’t stop thinking about one (which is normally the more expensive) I go with it.
    I have herringbone and yes it was expensive, but I love it. And everyone comments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 james 17

HI James - I have about 50 square metres.
    What about engineered herringbone?

Havnt seen it but it would be fit similar to the solid herringbone [joints glued and floor floated] .were in midlands are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

Thanks. I'm a bit like that with shoes, etc. But shoes are cheaper than floors!!
    Tell me - did you have the conversation about what happens if you spill something and have to replace any of the herringbone tiles/slats? I've been told it means having to replace large parts of the floor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement