Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Saw an interesting programme on the Ss great britain the other night. Scuttled in the falklands in 1937 she was refloated and put on a barge to Bristol nearly 40 years later, restored and now attracts about 200000 visitors a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Bit of a difference between the groundbreaking (once) most famous ship in the world and the old Aran ferry though ;)

Every time I see an update in this thread now I click with trepidation in case it's news of her getting scrapped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Passed by yesterday pm.

There was a digger, a mobile crane and what looked two divers on site.
    They seem to be placing steel girders across the mouth of the graving dock astern of the NE.

saw it for the first time on Saturday - god it's very dilapidated at this stage. Was wondering wth is going to happen with it, as it'll crumble if nothing is.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Just scrap the thing, it's an eyesore and has no real historical significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Cycling home Friday p.m. via GCD.

The GCD/open end of the graving dock now seems closed off with the steel girders I saw being craned in a few weeks ago. There is now a pontoon outside of that.

There seem to be supporting poles shoring up the starboard quarter. As best as I could tell the NE looks like she is sitting more uprightly than previously when she listed a little to starboard.

Somebody seems to be doing something about her alright but she just looks increasingly decrepit.

Watch this space I suppose :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Who's going to end up paying for all this,,,,Joe Public?:mad:

Passed through GCD on Friday. She is still sitting propped upright but nothing seems to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 UrbanVixen

Cycled past there yesterday afternoon. Although it was dusk there seemed to be absolutely nothing happening whatsoever with Naomh Eanna.

Would Waterways Ireland have any authority to force the owner's hand to do something about the vessel if it just sitting there apparently deteriorating ?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Cycled through GCD on Sunday last.
    NE still sitting upright inside the (graving ??) dock.
    Absolutely zilch happening to judge by appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

AnnaStezia wrote: »
    Cycled through GCD on Sunday last.
    NE still sitting upright inside the (graving ??) dock.
    Absolutely zilch happening to judge by appearances.

I think whatever plans could have been there pre Covid will be on ice for many many years now. A replica ship at this stage is a far better option, perhaps take the original funnel off to preserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I think whatever plans could have been there pre Covid will be on ice for many many years now. A replica ship at this stage is a far better option, perhaps take the original funnel off to preserve.

For what purpose though? It doesn’t really have any historical significance.

Put her out of her misery and break her up for scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

For what purpose though? It doesn’t really have any historical significance.

Put her out of her misery and break her up for scrap

you for got to add "in my opinion" as part of your post.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

you for got to add "in my opinion" as part of your post.

No I’m happy enough with it as it is, generally when people say something on a message board there’s an element of opinion implied.

Great, she was the Aran islands ferry and fulfilled some other lovely jobs, but if we kept every relic of days gone by we would be inundated with dusty old trains, buses, cars and boats. If you preserve everything you lose the significance of those really worthy of preservation.

In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No I’m happy enough with it as it is, generally when people say something on a message board there’s an element of opinion implied.

Great, she was the Aran islands ferry and fulfilled some other lovely jobs, but if we kept every relic of days gone by we would be inundated with dusty old trains, buses, cars and boats. If you preserve everything you lose the significance of those really worthy of preservation.

In my opinion.

who mentioned preserving everything?
    what has preserving everything which nobody has suggested got to do with this discussion?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Turn into a ghost ship

who mentioned preserving everything?
    what has preserving everything which nobody has suggested got to do with this discussion?

By calling out my post as being opinion, I took it you had the opposite view that this was worth preserving. If you agree this is just a fairly meaningless shell corroding in GCD and should be broken up for scrap, then we’re all good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have a certain affection towards it having been on it at Aran. It's the nostalgic notion it can be kept in some form so you can tell stories to your kids, grand kids in future years. We won't get that chance.

If I had an endless pit of money, I'd buy it up, get it fitted out to it's original condition and stick it in my own personal transport museum!

I think it'd be a nice tourist attraction, something like the SS Nomadic, lord out with photos and any possible videos but to have it over in Galway so tourists visiting the West could see it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As one of the last hand built riveted boats she has some history of days gone bye I would prefer to see her restored than seeing money being spent on developing a 22million euro white water rafting park in George's dock https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2019/1202/1096595-white-water-rafting-facility-dublin/ Thank God thats not going ahead :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In my opinion.

We are hardly "inundated" with all these masses of old things, don't exaggerate.

Compared to uk, we are fairly useless at preserving anything. There are developing countries with a better record than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did you know that the Naomh Eanna was involved in the search for the KLM aircraft that crashed into the sea in 1958 100 miles off the Aran Islands, my Cousin was on board heading to Inishmore when the Naomh Eanna was tasked by Valentia to proceed to the search area, the Captain told the passengers on board they would not be stopping in Aran and headed 100 miles to the area, they spent three days there recovering wreckage no bodies they were picked up by a Canadian warship and a Fleet of Spanish Trawlers and taken to Galway, the warship anchored off Salthill and you coukd see a wing on the stern she was a big ship. My Cousin was wrecked when they finally got back to Galway they were sleeping on chairs and seats but it's just another part of her history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Did you know that the Naomh Eanna was involved in the search for the KLM aircraft that crashed into the sea in 1958 100 miles off the Aran Islands

More on that crash: https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19580814-0

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I would like to see the graving docks refurbished, I believe they are owned by Waterways Ireland, and surely it is Waterways Ireland to provide facilities develop the infrastructure - rather than sell of land for development.
    It would also emphsise the utility of the grand canal basin for boats, and not a water feature for apartments and a tower.

I believe there was a suggestion that the graveing docks could be used to maintain the jeanie johnson

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Waterways have a contest out for a design for a redevelopment of that entire land bank. The docks are unlikely to feature much in any proposals.

The only redesigning going on there at the moment is from a load of spray painters - sorry, artists - who are adorning the hoardings at the back of the graving docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Should be towed out and used for target practice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Piehead wrote: »
    Should be towed out and used for target practice.

We already have a target practice boat that washed up in Cork a few months ago.....

I believe we're (Ireland) going to spend a few million to salvage/break her, whereas she could be just patched up (to ensure she floats), and towed 200 miles offshore and scuttled, or as you say, used as target practice by our Naval forces.

Surely a barrage of 20mm & 76mm cannon fire just below the waterline would then finish her off when the lads get tired...

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Heres the article associated with that video

The Irish Times: Waterways Ireland plans to sell Grand Canal graving docks.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/waterways-ireland-plans-to-sell-grand-canal-graving-docks-1.4484452?localLinksEnabled=false

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I do hope that she is preserved. We are brutally bad at keeping our industrial heritage in this country. It seems to be private individuals and companies mainly rather than the state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I do hope that she is preserved. We are brutally bad at keeping our industrial heritage in this country. It seems to be private individuals and companies mainly rather than the state

A similar setup to this might be the answer where you dig a channel in to a coastal area and then infill where you are going to locate it and leave it there permanently, much cheaper to bring back to its former glory albeit with it never going in to the water again...

Advertisement