Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PHD and classes

Options
  • 19-02-2019 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the following for me.
    I work in industry, I'm about to complete an MBA in the coming months, mostly likely a 1:1 and at worst a 2:1.

I am considering a PhD (part time) in management, either Trinity or UCD, perhaps a DBA (however DBA i understand).

My question is more to do with the amount of classes required to attend. If the PhD is something I can get stuck into myself from a research perspective with regular updates on campus then its doable in my mind.

However, if its classes twice weekly for 6 years then its not going to be a runner.

Would appreciate some feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Honestly there are piles of different ways to complete a PhD.

I have experience of 2 types (I wrote up as an MLitt the first time).

Traditional: research based, you're on your own. More like what you're expecting. I started this but never finished for multiple reasons.

Structured: My current programme. I attend campus for 1 full week at a time, do classes/tutorials etc in that week, then have assignments and researchproject work to do in the intervening 6-7 weeks. that's for the first 2 years, the final 2 are devoted to my research project.

Personally I'd advocate the structured PhD over traditional every time, pretty much.

I'm in social science though so I don't know what each of the programs you're looking at entail though, is that info not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Honestly there are piles of different ways to complete a PhD.

I have experience of 2 types (I wrote up as an MLitt the first time).

Traditional: research based, you're on your own. More like what you're expecting. I started this but never finished for multiple reasons.

Structured: My current programme. I attend campus for 1 full week at a time, do classes/tutorials etc in that week, then have assignments and researchproject work to do in the intervening 6-7 weeks. that's for the first 2 years, the final 2 are devoted to my research project.

Personally I'd advocate the structured PhD over traditional every time, pretty much.

I'm in social science though so I don't know what each of the programs you're looking at entail though, is that info not available?

Hi Baby, thanks for the speedy reply and information, it's greatly appreciated. f i had a preference I would much prefer a structured route, however the strains of evening classes over the last two years for my MBA are evident both from work and personal life. Hence why going it solo would be preferred. I have periods in my current work where I can get a lot done which would suit a research type role.

In terms of structure, I found this on the Trinity website which lists specific modules to be completed. However, I can't see if they require time on campus to complete.

https://www.tcd.ie/business/doctoral/programme-structure.php

I'd say then your best bet is to contact the course head and ask them directly. In my experience they're always delighted to hear from perspective students, and you might be able to grab a coffee with them or something to chat through possible research etc. You'll be able to ask them questions about how previous students organised themselves.

Thanks (baby),

feel weird and somewhat sleezy writing that gratuity :)

Thanks (baby),

feel weird and somewhat sleezy writing that gratuity :)

:D

most folks seem to shorten it to B&C. :p

• Advertisement

:D

most folks seem to shorten it to B&C. :p

:o

Noted, thanks B&C

PhDs are often classes (30 credits) for the first year, and then you are on your own (so to speak). Of course you’ll have your supervisor; in reality, your relationship is with them rather than the institution

Advertisement