Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Lighthouses of Ireland.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Calling it a charity is probably an act of accounting and political convenience, rather like the RNLI. There is probably no good reason why we don't have an INLI, except for the presence of the North. Depending on volunteers to save lives instead of full time staff is a cop out.

The RNLI do rather a lot more than just provide the staffing. They even build the lifeboats themselves after the first few of each class.

We don't have the scale to provide the back office elements on our own.

I'm not sure if we are actually subsidised by the UK - plenty of donors and members here as well as the small state contribution - but the advantage of being part of a larger body in reducing cost is critical. Could just check the accounts, which I'm sure I've even got a copy of as a member!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

L1011 wrote: »
    The RNLI do rather a lot more than just provide the staffing. They even build the lifeboats themselves after the first few of each class.

We don't have the scale to provide the back office elements on our own.

I'm not sure if we are actually subsidised by the UK - plenty of donors and members here as well as the small state contribution - but the advantage of being part of a larger body in reducing cost is critical. Could just check the accounts, which I'm sure I've even got a copy of as a member!

we are subsidised in part by them and in the past they have run media driven fundraising from the UK alongside the same happening in UK. The back office stuff in the uk goes beyond just sending funds over here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I have a friend who is quite high up in the RNLI. Her experience of meeting the RNLI staff at Poole is that while the crews are sound and totally embrace the two-nation spirit of the RNLI, others, especially the further up the foodchain you go, would happily cast Ireland aside if given the chance. The opinion that Ireland is some bastard stepchild hanging onto British coattails, as a legacy of Empire, is not uncommon. A particular point is the naming and classification of boats, which has long been a bone of contention with the Irish stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I have a friend who is quite high up in the RNLI. Her experience of meeting the RNLI staff at Poole is that while the crews are sound and totally embrace the two-nation spirit of the RNLI, others, especially the further up the foodchain you go, would happily cast Ireland aside if given the chance. The opinion that Ireland is some bastard stepchild hanging onto British coattails, as a legacy of Empire, is not uncommon. A particular point is the naming and classification of boats, which has long been a bone of contention with the Irish stations.

alot of the higher ups in the UK are ex royal navy (or were). very fond of their red trousers to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm sure they'll have no issue with the €6,000,000 that was just left to them by an Irish lady who passed away recently, and it's distribution around the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Is it possible to see kish from Howth with Binoculars?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Good episode last night on the design and building of lighthouses, inlcluding the Kish....

....which I sailed round recently.

UMJf7dUl.jpg

Really well maintained!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    You'll easily see it with the naked eye on a normal day from the top of Howth Head, or somewhere on the east/south side of the head. It's roughly 6.5 miles away.

If you mean from Howth village/harbour, then no - they face north, and the headland is in the way.

Great thanks, 18 lighthouses seen lots more in Ireland to see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JDERIC2017 wrote: »

You can see it from any coastline in Dublin with a line of sight view towards it, and on a clear day.

I live in Rush and can see it from my attic window (15 nautical miles away).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Years ago (during my failed attempt at becoming a radio officer), you could tune in to the kish lighthouse radio beacon with a marconi radio direction-finder - it transmitted a morse signal K-S-H (see link for pic of equipment). Although any short wave radio could pick it up. I think the radio beacon is now discontinued.

Said marconi equipment was also handy for listening in to car phone conversations of the well-heeled as they drove up and down the appian way! This being back in the day when car phones where analogue, not digital.

http://jproc.ca/britishmarconi/758e.html

• Advertisement

Could see better through binoculars but another one off the list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

https://www.heritageweek.ie/whats-on/event/open-day-at-wicklow-lighthouse

Open day at Wicklow Lighthouse 25th Aug 2019 from 10am-4pm if anyone is interested.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    https://www.heritageweek.ie/whats-on/event/open-day-at-wicklow-lighthouse

Open day at Wicklow Lighthouse 25th Aug 2019 from 10am-4pm if anyone is interested.

wow. thanks for sharing

Had a lovely visit to Wicklow Lighthouse yesterday. gorgeous sunny day.
    Got to get inside and have a good look around, lots of people there.... might look into staying there, not cheap though!

Advertisement