Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance 25% cheaper by pushing dates back a week

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

ForestFire wrote: »
    When you "push" you insurance date out by two weeks are you:-

Pushing the date where they ask for your renewal date (Because this is incorrect)?
    Are you telling them that you will have a break in insurance cover?

One of there "assumptions" that you agree to (In most cases) is that you do not have breaks in your insurance cover?

Have you explicitly told the new insurer about this 1 week break and still got the same quote?

In my case, yes, explained to the insurer I would be having a few days break in insurance due to their quotation policy. From my experience 12 days prior to requiring insurance was the optimal time to purchase a policy as per the below post/graph.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103084399&postcount=58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

on a side note its nice to see the cheaper renewals are coming back, I was doing some quote scanning last night and getting 3rd policy F&T policies for about 500, and on anything 03onward. A couple of months ago I was getting some failed quotes and crazy figure back, (im 30ish+ with full NSD looking at GTI's, A4s etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

leave off the eircode for average 10% premium drop with 123.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

I asked about doing this before for the same reason and the girl told me that it's illegal to be insured by two companies at once and would nullify both policies so neither would apply if I had a claim.
    I'm not sure if that's true but I took her at her word at the time. I'd certainly check it up just in case before doing this.

Can you not just do this like 2 months ahead of renewal and cancel the existing/older policy and get a refund ..no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vidapura wrote: »
    Can you not just do this like 2 months ahead of renewal and cancel the existing/older policy and get a refund ..no?

Usually a ?40/50 adminstration cancellation fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

gufc21 wrote: »
    That's s flat out lie!! The payout would be weighted but it most certainly is not illegal.

Yep, you would need to notify the two insurers that there were two policies, they would each end up fighting over the share of the claim, which could in theory delay a claim. Any attempt to claim a full amount from both would be skirting close to (and i think would actually be) fraud.

Hard to see a logic in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Yep, you would need to notify the two insurers that there were two policies, they would each end up fighting over the share of the claim, which could in theory delay a claim. Any attempt to claim a full amount from both would be skirting close to (and i think would actually be) fraud.

Hard to see a logic in doing this.

Didn't say it was logical, i just pointed out that the insurance agent lied

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The closer you are to your renewal date the more expensive the policy will be. Simply, this is because it's felt the customer doesn't have time to shop around. This is why when you roll it back a week it's cheaper. Really you should just get a quote exactly one month before your policy lapses and purchase the cheapest right away

Mine was 10% cheaper with 123 starting on June 20th instead of June 24th, so there doesn't appear to be any logic there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Wouldn't doing this create a break in cover? You might not need your car for the week but how would you prove it hasn't been used? Could it affect your NCB?

Approach with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Tried this out yesterday. I need cover form Dec 1st, and put in Dec 8th. Made no difference to price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Mikemurphy.ie can get a reasonable quote

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

mikemurphyinsurance.ie
    One of the worst prices I have been quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Got my renewal quote from my broker (who I’ve used for the last three years) for €1330.00. I decided to ring another broker (recommendation from a work colleague) and got the same cover from them for €825.00

Changing the renewal dates didn’t affect the price.

Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Interested in this.

I'm in an awkward position in that my insurance is due for renewal on March 31st. I had a claim on April 15th a few years ago.

To shop around for insurance they always ask if you have had any claims within the past 3 years. When my renewal comes up I will be 2 years 11 and a half months since my claim which means I won't be able to shop around unless I push my renewal back by a few weeks.

Wondering if I can get a short term insurance deal or something to tide me over.

Because of this claim (the usual BS injury claim resulting from a 5pmh car park bump) my insurance has gone from €500 to €900 to €1500!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

DrPhilG wrote:
    Because of this claim (the usual BS injury claim resulting from a 5pmh car park bump) my insurance has gone from €500 to €900 to €1500!

Lucky you, mines pretty much done that without a claim...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

DrPhilG wrote:

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »

But at least you have the option to shop around and try to get a better deal. I just have to take whatever is offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

DrPhilG wrote:
    Wondering if I can get a short term insurance deal or something to tide me over.

Get expensive insurance, pay using monthly debit to reduce outlay. Cancel once your three years are up. Get new insurance.

I've never seen three years in any quotation, I think it's normally 5.

DrPhilG wrote:
    But at least you have the option to shop around and try to get a better deal. I just have to take whatever is offered.

True,
    Is it 3 years since the accident? Or 3 years since the claim was settled.?
    I know I've let my insurance lapse for a couple of weeks when I wasn't using the van.. With no problem..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Accident was April 2015. Settled about a year later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement