Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "My Post-Grad Course" Thread - Mod Comment Post #1

• 08-07-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Guys while browsing boards I came across a great thread on the leaving cert forum , where people leave details on their course for potential student/board.ie users to ask questions or just to find out info.

How about we try and get one going here ? I will be taking up a Msc Accounting course in DIT and I know i would love to read someone views on the course and I'm sure their is a lot of people like me.

We just need the Moderators Permission and a couple of people to kick start it ;)

<MOD> I'll sticky this for now and we'll see how it goes.

I would ask that people stick to general comments about their post-grads - no naming and slating of lecturers and supervisors, for example. I would also ask that everyone read this before posting.

Ta.</MOD>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd be happy to contribute about my Social Work masters course, even though I did it 2008-2010. I get PM's a lot, some times on a weekly basis, of people askng me about my course, how I found it, what are the hours and realistic job prospects. I'd be nice not to have to pull up the info again and again (as much as I don't mind!). Count me in as promoting this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I'd be happy to contribute about my Social Work masters course, even though I did it 2008-2010. I get PM's a lot, some times on a weekly basis, of people askng me about my course, how I found it, what are the hours and realistic job prospects. I'd be nice not to have to pull up the info again and again (as much as I don't mind!). Count me in as promoting this thread!

LadyMayBelle , please be the first contributor then :-) .

Little Pea wrote: »

eek! Cool, Give me a few days to compile all the PM's I have written and make some sense of it. If anyone else wants to go ahead, please do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

Oooh this is actually pretty interesting, very helpful for those who are a bit out of their depth with course choices! Im doing a BA Hons in Humanities and thats going to lead on to either my H.Dip or my Masters depending on availability for either. pretty standard path to take i guess but i love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I thought it was a great idea over at the leaving cert forum on boards , and something that could easily be implemented here. I for one would love to be able to read people reviews on the courses that I have or was considering applying for , both good points and bad ones.

I just hope most of our post graduate community bite the bullet and offer us a review of their course ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'd also be happy to contribute; I did my BA in Psychology in UCD and I'm doing a PhD in Psychiatry in Trinity's Institute of Neuroscience right now. I plan on doing the Clinical Doctorate course soon, but tbh there's loads of info in the Psychology forum here so I can go there for advice! More than welcome to help out anyone who wants info on the PhD though :)

I also did the postgrad diploma in stats in Trinity this year too; can give advice on that one too!

Sorry for delay, is there still an interest in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Little Pea wrote: »

I would love to know about this course LadyMaybelle if you had a chance. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

hey! id actually love to know if anyone did the MA in Modern Irish History in TCD or the history MA by research n TCD also!
    they are my two choices for my masters :)

How to get in:
    *Personal statement *Two references, preferably one academic and one employment *Considerable work experience in the social care field. Each uni has different requirements as to how many hours so please check. Last I knew, NUIG were required at least 960 hours or something *Appropriate degree (Social studies/Care/Science, Psychology, Sociology etc). Again CHECK with each college as they all do not accept the same courses. *Score well in the interview if shortlisted. There is generally about 5 people going for each place on the course, and the course usually takes between 17-21 students a year. Application is through the PAC system.

*I AM GOING TO CLARIFY THE APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND WILL UPDATE!*

Cost: About £6k a year or thereabouts. You may be eligible for a grant. You are expected to fund your own books/clothes for placement/transport etc.

The interview process:This may vary but generally there will be two people interviewing; a practitioner in the field and an academic. You will be asked about your suitability for the course, your past experiences, strengths, weaknesses, special interest in the area, what challenges face social workers these days, your understanding and application of social justice and human rights, talk about a relevant social work topic in the media, what reading you have been doing, what makes you want to be a social worker, what hobbies you have… this list is not exhaustive by any means so please don’t take this list as gospel..other questions have and may come up!! Dress formal.

Timetable: The course is full time and you are encouraged to dedicate your time to studying more so than work. It can be hard to work part time or full time, altho some people managed.

Semesterisation:
    Semester 1 (Sept-Dec) You will be in college from 10am-4pm Monday to Thursday and have a half day Friday. You will need time to prepare essays, print out journals, do small groups with other students etc so you may be there till later in the evening, or full day Friday, depending on what suits you.

Semester 2 (Jan-Apr) Placement 1. This is a normal working week, 9-5, with a half day one of those days to work on your portfolio.

May of Semester 2: this is spent back in college, doing a whole module on contemporary issues, final essay and finishing your portfolio.

Summer off, yay! You will have been encouraged at this stage to think through your thesis idea over the summer.

Semester 3 (Sept-Dec): Placement 2: As before except it is a four day week, and the day ‘off’ is for doing your portfolio and preparing your dissertation.

Semester 4 (Jan-May): Back in the classroom, this time it is 3 days and two to work on your dissertation (which, I kid you not, best intentions and all, you will need). You also need to be around for small group work/presentations etc like in semester 1. For the latter half of this session you are left to focus on your dissertation.

Assessment: Essays on all modules, I think. Some include group presentations, a solo presentation and general participation in discussion in class. Pass grade is 50% per assignment. .You must pass Year One to progress to Year Two and you must pass placement; It is possible to fail and one person in my year did.

You must pass the portfolio assignment at the end of each placement. There has been a lot of discrepancy about this ‘portfolio’ and guidelines in the past have not always been clear so ask to see a high graded past one.
    You must pass the thesis which I think, was 20 thousand words.
    You must be regarded as fit to practice as a social worker.

Modules: See the actual link: http://www.nuigalway.ie/soc/postgraduate/brochures/brochure_ma_sw.pdf

Do you need a car on placement? Half of us didn’t have cars, and two didn’t drive. I learned to and it was a massive asset. It’s not a requirement but you will need to be able to drive as a social worker so it is a bonus, and it opens up your placement options if you can drive and have a car.

Types of placement: Child protection, community care, medical social work, mental health social work, probation, hospice social work, housing, drugs, homeless, alcohol and substance misuse, community work, disability, the army, fostering and adoption, elderly.

There were some international opportunities such as going to Chicago and The Philippines altho these may be subject to change. The uni gives very little financially so it is mainly self funded.

You don’t always have a lot of say in where you go placement wise, as each experience is unique but it depends year to year on the availability. If you have a burning desire, that may be taken into consideration, and sometimes interviews are held if more than one person is going for the position and the position is specific. If though, you have had a lot of experience, say in the disability sector, you may well get a placement in that sector too, as social care and work are very different.

Locations of placement: Countrywide it seemed. Students seemed to get one local and one away. Obviously people with children got priority for local placements, but some did travel further afield.

Can you do the course with kids?There were a handful of people on my course who had children and yes, succeeded. It was difficult at times, and I know at times they said they felt it impossible to fit everything in, however they did it and did it well. You need to be able to commit to attending college for almost every lesson. In my year, we had three ‘Mums’..one with a 3year old child, one with a 13 year old and one with two kids aged 11 and 14. As far as I know, the year after me had a few Mums and dad also

Yeah but what are the realistic job prospects?Pretty okay, but it comes in waves. Most Irish social workers get jobs from ‘the panel’ which is the HSE’s recruitment process for qualified social workers; you do a written application and interviewed, and given a number depending on how well you do and that’s your number in the waiting list (you can apply for up to geographical five areas I think). Most of my class got work in the HSE, some in Oz and two of us in the UK. Your MSW is recognised globally.

Is Galway really a good place to live while in college? Yes.

Official Linky: http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/social-work.html
    I am sure I have missed bits..happy to edit if there are more questions :) I'll do a 'day in the life' at some stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Christinalit

how long after the interview was it before you heard back from the college regarding whether or not you have been accpeted into the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pandalaura

Has anyone done the MSc disability and rehabilitation studies in UCD??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Doc87

Hi, I was wondering has anyone done the part-time Environmental Impact Assessment course in Portobello College before?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me anything about the M. Phil. in popular literature at TCD, or what it's like to do an English masters in general. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ni_Mo

Anyone know how easy it is too meet other postgrads at Trinity. Really worried about being a total loner for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm applying to start a PhD in January, focusing on the Old English poem Beowulf. I am terrified, haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Just registered for my PhD in UCC today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Just registered for my PhD in UCC today. :)

As soon as I saw your post, this first line from Martin Lawrence came to mind... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the MSc Management of Information Systems in TCD?

I work in IT as a 'techie' but am looking to move away from the technical work into a management role.

thanks
    seablue

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

Hi guys, I know there's a ton of these "tell me about this course" threads here, sorry!

does anyone know anything about this one?

All help much appreciated, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Nearing the end of the 2nd semester (2/3) in the MSc in Design Innovation in Maynooth, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Nearing the end of Msc in Marketing in DIT. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nunu123

Anyone know if i will get accepted in a masters programme in DIT if I have two repeats from my final year undergraduate course? After the repeats I'll get a 2.1 and thats my requirement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

nunu123 wrote: »
    Anyone know if i will get accepted in a masters programme in DIT if I have two repeats from my final year undergraduate course? After the repeats I'll get a 2.1 and thats my requirement.

i you have to repeat a final year exam, does that not mean the max you can get is a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

i you have to repeat a final year exam, does that not mean the max you can get is a pass?

It would lower the ceiling significantly overall, but depending on the course's assessment requirements it shouldn't necessarily preclude a 2.1.

At any rate, often times a 2.1 is sufficient to access a masters program (generally), depending on the supply and demand of the course.

Advertisement