Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin Nolan give 1 year to guilty pedo.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Which of these men is a bigger scumbag?

Who is the second guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I actually think it was to "make an example" and discourage teachers from doing this.

Yes the message will have gone out loud and clear to teachers

"hands-off the horny little bastards till they're at least seventeen."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

tritium wrote: »
    Is the solution to previous poor sentencing really more poor sentencing?

You say "previous poor sentencing" as if this judge has turned over a new leaf and decided to start handing out more deserving punishments. This is the one sex offence this judge has decided to give a harsh sentence to. I guarantee you that the next male sex offender that has done something far worse that appears before this judge will get either a very lenient sentence or a suspended sentence.

Ironicname wrote: »
    Who is the second guy?

Ian Watkins from Welsh band Lostprophets, serving a 35 year sentence for baby rape.

Comparing it to other cases which may have had lenient sentences is not the point. Comparing Irish law to laws in other countries is not the point. She was an adult who was aware of her legal responsibility with regard to minors. Ok she waited till his birthday but she must have been lusting after a child before that. She deserves to lose her job and she deserves to do jail.

It is the point when it was the same judge handing out these sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

She broke the law. She pays the price.

Ian Watkins from Welsh band Lostprophets, serving a 35 year sentence for baby rape.

Oh right. I know that guy. He's terrible. I would class him as worse than the other guy.

Baby rape is worse than ****ing a teenager.

Why is this a question?

Terrible judge. Should be made resign. We agree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

She got a 66% reduction in sentence as long as she stays away from kids willies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

bunderoon wrote: »
    She got a 66% reduction in sentence as long as she stays away from kids willies

What! She's into goats as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I think it's safe to say that this post kinda nullifies any further pointa you have to make.

The teacher who had sex with a child is not the issue?

Jesus

With all due respect, don't be an idiot. The issue is not that she was a teacher, it's that he was 16. That's the law. Her being his teacher is an ethical issue, but the poster had already said that ethical issues concerning whether there was any trauma suffered, or whether it was consensual were irrelevant, and from a strictly legal point of view that poster is correct. Therefore the fact that she was his teacher is not the issue, because the issue was a legal one, not an ethical one.

I explain all of this in my post, or at least do the person you are replying to the courtesy of properly reading their post.

Jesus.

With all due respect, don't be an idiot. The issue is not that she was a teacher, it's that he was 16. That's the law. Her being his teacher is an ethical issue, but the poster had already said that ethical issues concerning whether there was any trauma suffered, or whether it was consensual were irrelevant, and from a strictly legal point of view that poster is correct.

You explain **** all. You said that the law is that he was underage, that's the only legal factor. It isn't.

The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act, passed by the Oireachtas in 2017, created a new law for punishing those who have sex with persons under the age of consent.

the maximum sentence for those who have sex with children under the age of 17 (defilement) is seven years, but it rises to 15 years “if he or she is a person in authorityâ€

This applies to parents, step parents, teachers etc.

That is the law. So with due respect, I'll take an apology for being called an idiot.

You explain **** all. You said that the law is that he was underage, that's the only legal factor. It isn't.

So is the law one other than defilement?
    The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act, passed by the Oireachtas in 2017, created a new law for punishing those who have sex with persons under the age of consent.

the maximum sentence for those who have sex with children under the age of 17 (defilement) is seven years, but it rises to 15 years “if he or she is a person in authorityâ€

This applies to parents, step parents, teachers etc.

That is the law. So with due respect, I'll take an apology for being called an idiot.

Nope, so the law is that of defilement. Defilement is sex between anyone and someone under the age of 17. So the issue was that she was over 18 and that he was 16. Sure.

Sentencing guidelines state that a larger sentence can be passed where the guilty party is a person of authority in relation to the victim? That is good, but it doesn't change the law. The law is sex between anyone and someone under the age of 17.

So if the poster wants to dismiss all ethical issues, concerning the student's agency, his consent, the effects of relationship on him, and any lasting impact it may have that's fine, because it does not relate to the legal definition, which is sex between anyone and someone under the age of 17.

Now we may disagree that that should be the way the law is constructed. I for one would say that that law should be different. But if a poster is going to throw all the ethical aspects of this into the bin and just look at the legal core of this, namely sex between anyone and someone under the age of 17 who are we to argue?

Plenty of men have broken the law by raping children too young to even know what sex is and they've gotten suspended sentences from this judge. Why is this the one sex offence that deserves to be punished more harshly than all the others that have been before him?

Plenty of men have broken the law by raping children too young to even know what sex is and they've gotten suspended sentences from this judge. Why is this the one sex offence that deserves to be punished more harshly than all the others that have been before him?

It's clearly two things: the fact that she was the guy's teacher, and that people believe (probably correctly) that there isn't equality of treatment in general in relation to female sex offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tommyled1984

nullzero wrote: »
    This is just unbelievable.
    You should be ashamed of yourself for defending this woman (she isn't a "girl").

You feel sorry for her, what a joke, she broke the law by having sex with a minor.
    The mental gymnastics you're engaged in are incredible. Shame on you and all those thanking your post.

I'm not ashamed of myself at all. I gave my opinion and I stand by it. I'm entitled to do that. I said the law needs to be changed, I didn't say that she didn't break the law.
    You don't have a higher status than me or anyone else here, it's an open forum so my opinion holds as much water as yours. So you shouldn't hurl abuse at me for doing exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'm not ashamed of myself at all. I gave my opinion and I stand by it. I'm entitled to do that. I said the law needs to be changed, I didn't say that she didn't break the law.
    You don't have a higher status than me or anyone else here, it's an open forum so my opinion holds as much water as yours. So you shouldn't hurl abuse at me for doing exactly that.

I didn't hurl abuse at you for starters.
    Secondly just because you are entitled to an opinion doesn't mean that the opinion you have is valid.
    The morality of sex with minors is cut and dry and any attempt to justify it is wrong.
    You say the law needs to be changed? Do you propose that sex with minors be acceptable in certain circumstances, such as a sexy twenty something teacher getting it on with a young fella who's barely old enough to shave?
    You can be guaranteed that the boy in question will suffer as a result of this situation, regardless of what you say or believe what happened was wrong as is you and others excusing it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭tritium

You say "previous poor sentencing" as if this judge has turned over a new leaf and decided to start handing out more deserving punishments. This is the one sex offence this judge has decided to give a harsh sentence to. I guarantee you that the next male sex offender that has done something far worse that appears before this judge will get either a very lenient sentence or a suspended sentence.

If you think that’s s harsh sentence for the sexual offense of defilement of a child then you really have no clue. You must have been speechless with indignation at the sentence Tom Humphries received for the same crime

I didn't hurl abuse at you for starters.

You only said that his post is unbelievable and that anybody thanking his mental gymnastics of defending peadophelia should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, that's not exactly hurling, more like nailing it on a placard.
    Secondly just because you are entitled to an opinion doesn't mean that the opinion you have is valid.
    The morality of sex with minors is cut and dry and any attempt to justify it is wrong.

So cut and dried that the law in every other country in Europe is different from ours. Clearly it must be that Ireland is more enlightened.
    You say the law needs to be changed? Do you propose that sex with minors be acceptable in certain circumstances,

So does the Oireachtas report, as I previously stated, for reasons that seem perfectly logical.
    such as a sexy twenty something teacher getting it on with a young fella who's barely old enough to shave?

Barely old enough to tie his own shoes, and needs a booster seat in his car that he drives to school and work in.
    You can be guaranteed that the boy in question will suffer as a result of this situation, regardless of what you say or believe what happened was wrong as is you and others excusing it.

Yes, but probably only due to the publicity generated, let's be honest.

Why should she get off lightly (and she did get of lightly btw) just because others have?

Have two wrongs suddenly started to make a right?

• Advertisement

Why should she get off lightly (and she did get of lightly btw) just because others have?

How much more harshly do you think she should be punished? 10 years' prison time? Chemical castration? I'm assuming that's what you're aiming for here.

If you think that’s s harsh sentence for the sexual offense of defilement of a child then you really have no clue. You must have been speechless with indignation at the sentence Tom Humphries received for the same crime

It's harsh in comparison to the other sentences he's given. Why is this a difficult concept to grasp?

Tom Humphries was tried by a different judge.

How much more harshly do you think she should be punished? 10 years' prison time? Chemical castration? I'm assuming that's what you're aiming for here.

I’ve already given an example of another high profile case where the offender got 2.5 years, none of it suspended. The maximum in normal circumstances for this crime is 7 years. Given I’d see the grooming as a pretty severe aggravating factor I’d say 2.5 would be the minimum, albeit I’d understand if some commentators felt it was lenient, as indeed they did in that case.

Seriously if you think a year in jail for what is essentially sexual abuse of a minor is harsh I don’t know what to say. God knows the angst you must feel for the guy he sent to jail for 6 years for importing garlic and claiming it was apples.

It's harsh in comparison to the other sentences he's given. Why is this a difficult concept to grasp?

Tom Humphries was tried by a different judge.

This judge jailed a guy for 6 years for falsely declaring imported garlic. He may be erratic but let’s not pretend he’s just plain easygoing. This lady in the scheme of things got off considerably lighter than her crime warranted. That’s not to say others haven’t benefitted also from his peculiar ways, but calling this harsh is a bit like a lotto winner grumbling because someone else won a bigger jackpot

Now that I’ve answered you, let’s hear your thoughts: what is the appropriate sentence for the defilement of a just turned 16 year old child by an older adult in a position of authority?

tritium wrote:
    Now that I’ve answered you, let’s hear your thoughts: what is the appropriate sentence for the defilement of a 16 year old child by an older adult in a position of authority?

Hey, she lost her job and was embarrassed. Hasn't the poor girl suffered enough?

Jesus Christ. Talk about going around in circles.

I don't give a shite about this teacher. But it's beyond ridiculous to convict a woman in her twenties that had sex with a teenager to twice the sentence as a man who spent two years raping his infant daughter. Neither of them are right but one is far, far worse than the other.

And it's not 'two wrongs'. Every sexual offence that comes before this judge results in a suspended or extremely lenient sentence. But this is the one that he decides to give a harsh sentence to. And by harsh I mean harsh compared to his usual sentences for sexual offences. Next week this judge will most likely give another suspended sentence to a man for raping a child and say something like "he's suffered enough".

Anyway that's it. I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I think the sentence was a bit harsh, young boys are aware of their sexual feelings from the age of 13 or younger, regardless of how the law works, nature kicks in.. I feel sorry for the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Unsure if the whatsapp pic of her are real, think they are, what a stunner, wonder why she went for a kid

• Advertisement

A very important word in Irish law - Precedent.

A lot of people in here comparing apples to egg fried rice.

Advertisement