Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-10-2019, 08:59   #16
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
For the morons slating Kerr, please do the following.

List the managers who have won the UEFA U18 and U16 championships in the same year.
Nothing against Kerr's record as an underage coach.
His achievements are unparalleled in Irish sports.

But his senior managerial record was terrible given the talent he had and he has been moaning ever since he got the sack.
Advertisement
16-10-2019, 10:06   #17
Weepsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
Nothing against Kerr's record as an underage coach.
His achievements are unparalleled in Irish sports.

But his senior managerial record was terrible given the talent he had and he has been moaning ever since he got the sack.
He has the highest win % of any irish manager and the lowest losing %. He drew too many games, chiefly those 2 israel games. However is draw % is pretty much on par with McCarthy, Charlton, Trap and ONeill.

Our defense was better under him than any other manager in terms of goals against per game other than Charlton. We didn't score enough however, he was too cautious against teams we should have been holding leads against.

We lost our first 2 games for 2004 qualifiers under Mick, and he still got us in with a chance of qualifying. oan about the Albania match, but nobody beat them at home in that qualifying. They'd beaten Russia only 3 days earlier too. Also don't forget, Robbie Keane's dad passed away that week so there was a lot of other things at play beyond football.

We went into the last match with qualification still in our own hands in 2005 too, but of course had another draw against a fairly handy Swiss team.

We've lauded other managers for getting by, completely ignoring that lots of times we've relied on results elsewhere in the final rounds.

to say he had a terrible record is completely false.

Last edited by Weepsie; 16-10-2019 at 10:11.
16-10-2019, 10:26   #18
osarusan

I don't even see how his (contested) poor performance as ROI manager makes his criticism less valid or true anyhow.
16-10-2019, 11:11   #19
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
I don't even see how his (contested) poor performance as ROI manager makes his criticism less valid or true anyhow.
It's the bandwagon you see.

Anyone with something negative to say about the FAI is automatically correct, regardless of their motivation.

It's a bit like a post on the John Delaney thread a few months back that appuladed something critical Brendan Menton had to say about the FAI

If one is agreeing with what Menton has to say in regards to FAI governance then one has really jumped the shark.

I'm no fan of the FAI, but equally I don't take every criticism of them as gospel, as many do.

As I said Kerr is still moaning after rightly being dropped as manager in 2005 (obviously his successor was a bigger disaster), so he has had a gripe against the FAI since.
What he says should be taken with that very much in mind.
16-10-2019, 11:28   #20
Buttonftw

If anyone listened to Kerr's long interview on I think Newstalk you get a sense of the man. It was about his time in the Faroes. A pure football man, no doubt about it. Reducing his tenure as Irish manager to a couple of results against us is just silly. Maybe he wasn't the best ever but he pretty much met expectations I would have thought.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2019, 11:58   #21
Conor74

Quote:
In people's rush to follow the tribe and jump on the anti FAI bandwagon they fall to realise that Kerr is a clown.

He got the sack in 2005 cos he was a s**t manager.
You have previously defended Delaney.

Which is perfectly legitimate, and in fact I agree the FAI were right to get rid of Kerr. I wouldn't say he was a "s**t manager" but his tenure was not as good as I'd hoped for.

But here's the thing, if you are having a go at what motivates others, saying they are only "following the tribe", it opens up analysis your motivation. And when someone defends Delaney and attacks Kerr to the point of swearing about him, one might wonder...are you just being a contrarian and trying to stir it up a little? Is there any element of that at all?
16-10-2019, 15:09   #22
Weepsie

Quote:
It's the bandwagon you see.

Anyone with something negative to say about the FAI is automatically correct, regardless of their motivation.

It's a bit like a post on the John Delaney thread a few months back that appuladed something critical Brendan Menton had to say about the FAI

If one is agreeing with what Menton has to say in regards to FAI governance then one has really jumped the shark.

I'm no fan of the FAI, but equally I don't take every criticism of them as gospel, as many do.

As I said Kerr is still moaning after rightly being dropped as manager in 2005 (obviously his successor was a bigger disaster), so he has had a gripe against the FAI since.
What he says should be taken with that very much in mind.
Well done on managing to completely swerve some of the facts presented there.

We were properly brutal in 2008, but finished 3rd as expected in a group with Germany and a then still good Czech team. Kerr would probably have still finished 3rd, but with more points I wager.

Yes we were unbeaten in 2010 qualifying and could've gone through in playoffs and we all know what happened, but we were actually pretty brutal in the group drawing 6 games. The italy matches were good results, but we couldn't beat Bulgaria or Montenegro. We scraped by Cyprus in both games. We also scraped through as the 8th best 2nd place team.

2012 we probably had one of the easiest groups we've ever had, finished 2nd and then got the easiest draw we could've asked for.

1998 we scraped 2nd place in a group that we should have been comfortable ahead of Lithuania and Macedenia.

2002 is the outlier. One of the hardest groups we've ever had, and we were excellent. We could have legitimately topped that group and only lost out on GD. It was fortunate that we knew that our group's runner up was likely to be playing either Iran or Saudi Arabia before our first game though and not have a potential European heavyweight to knock us out of another playoff.

So once again, Kerr was at the very least par for the course as a manager. Some of the players had a bit of strop, but they embraced even dourer, negative tactics in the years that followed.

Had he been kept on, and also given some type of remit to develop things nationally, Irish football would be in a much healthier place by now, but we're still clinging on to the hope that a few people will find an ancestor
17-10-2019, 19:00   #23
The_Kew_Tour

Even the North have a Academy now.

And we expect to go to Euros and take on at least the teams just Below the Germany's and France's. Please...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion