Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Passat trade-in price in 2 years time

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Murt15 wrote: »
    That low? mickdw on the post above is being offered €16k for a 5 year old low milage highline

Its 16k against retail pricing on new cars so probably a true 14k but thats always the way if trading in.
    If comparing straight sale prices - the car was 34.5k (36.5k retail) to buy and is being offered 14K so it 20k for the 5 years which isnt bad. Only 92k km on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

I got thinking again about that salesman who gave me the 8k trade-in value. More specifically - the Octavia was in at €20995.

Now my thinking was that the average price for these was 19995 (there were a few at 18995 and one at 17995 when I looked) so it was already priced at a premium. Now lets say the salesman was reasonable with the previous owner trade in (but allowing for the legendary ease of sale of the octavias) that he offered say 18k. This gives him a notional margin on the second hand sale of 3k which is a lot of room for play.
    By offering me 8k – my cost to change was 13k!!!

If he had instead offered my say 10k (cost to change 11k) that would have allowed him to sell my car for around 11k which would make it the cheapest of that model/year/mileage and ensure a quick sale. He then effectively has made a total margin of 4k (1k on mine and 3k on the Octavia or 2k + 2k if you allow for a 1k “discount on the Octy”)
    Instead he was holding out to make at least 6k and so missed the deal.
    So my question is why are they holding out for such high margins? I checked just there and the Octy is still for sale but now for €19495.

Any thoughts? Any car salesmen out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Just get the car you want based on what you can afford and enjoy it.

Too many people worrying about resale values. If you are really into it there are 3 in or 4 cars that outperform but a good deal or offer can provide random one off incentives.

I had a neighbour who openly boasted that that got more for their trade in because they had hardly driven it. I wasn't sure how to answer as they had bought the car new 3 years ago for 37k. Not even using the car was the smart man's move for them to max out resale value. I wonder how they spent the extra 500eu they got.

Not a good way to live.

Advertisement