Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post parcel failed to be delivered... so far anyway

• 17-04-2021 9:15am

On Tuesday I posted a fairly small canvas (on which I had painted a picture) to a friend in Co. Galway, but it simply didn't arrive. Posted from the busy Rathmines sub-PO. It's big enough not to have got lost at the bottom of an An Post postal bag, and was packed very securely in layers of bubble wrap in a plastic postage bag, addressed very clearly with correct EirCode, with sender address on back. The official had asked did I want standard post, and I asked would it likely reach in a day or two, they said it certainly should; next day delivery was very possible but not guaranteed. Without further thought I went standard post, although later I noticed the receipt had no tracking number. Will certainly not use standard post again.

Anybody else have similar experience with delayed delivery, and what black hole that parcel might have found its way into?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

An Post are handling about 2.5 million items a week. Most get delivered on time within 2 days but a few straggle.

From my own experience (mid size customer sending about 2,000 parcels and packets a week) the biggest delay is in small untracked packets.

They seem to get sorted manually as they are not suitable for the letter sorting machines and as there's no barcode, they are not suitable for the auto parcel sorting machines. So they tend to be sorted manually and take an extra couple of days.

There is nationwide Saturday delivery.

Another issue I have noticed in the past few weeks is that many regular posties have been taking holiday days (well deserved imo) as they have to use their 2020 holiday days up by end of April. If the address is rural, the temp postie may be finding it slower to work out all the addresses. (an post don't use eircode and have always stated that as they have their own route system)

Darc19 wrote: »
    An Post are handling about 2.5 million items a week. Most get delivered on time within 2 days but a few straggle.

From my own experience (mid size customer sending about 2,000 parcels and packets a week) the biggest delay is in small untracked packets.

They seem to get sorted manually as they are not suitable for the letter sorting machines and as there's no barcode, they are not suitable for the auto parcel sorting machines. So they tend to be sorted manually and take an extra couple of days.

There is nationwide Saturday delivery.

Another issue I have noticed in the past few weeks is that many regular posties have been taking holiday days (well deserved imo) as they have to use their 2020 holiday days up by end of April. If the address is rural, the temp postie may be finding it slower to work out all the addresses. (an post don't use eircode and have always stated that as they have their own route system)

Thank you, this indeed reassures me that at least it is probably not lost. I have learned the lesson never to send untracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Thank you, this indeed reassures me that at least it is probably not lost. I have learned the lesson never to send untracked.

Usually it will take 1-2 days, I think you are just unlucky on this one.

If you send a few, get the pack of 25 tracked parcel labels under the advantage card scheme. It costs €149

Any parcel up to 10kg and no queuing.
    https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/ACStandPL

If you send a few, get the pack of 25 tracked parcel labels under the advantage card scheme. It costs €149

It was only one single parcel to a friend, not commercial. It's been a while since I posted anything within Ireland. Really the only time I post stuff like that is to friends overseas.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Unrelated to the OP, but I took a chance on ordering these (I don't have an Advantage Card) but they arrived today, so thanks Darc19

• Advertisement

My parcel arrived yesterday, Monday. It's just that I gs ent posted anything in Ireland for ages via An Post, so I experienced here. I understand the delays etc these days, and would have sent it tracked has I copped on. Had been for a gift for a friend to bring on a rare visit to a nursing home, so really I ought to have sent it express. It just means a minor disappointment in timing etc. The package did arrive yesterday, so all's well etc.

Advertisement