Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Tablet 9.7 High Res Retina screen - 150 delivered

• 08-03-2019 9:37pm

was buying a 10 inch tablet as a gift and spotted this - actually cheaper coming through Europe than on the chinese sites.

for about 150 delivered (coming through Europe so no customs) -> pretty

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/VOYO-i8-4G-LTE-Phablet-4GB-64GB-Blue-413863.html

(pick Poland warehouse)

high res 2k retina screen - 9.7 inch - same screen as ipad 9.7
    4gb ram + 64gb rom
    helio chipset with about 100,000 on antutu so no slouch but won't run toughest 3d games at highest settings but will on medium / low settings.
    battery life for watching media / browsing about 7 hours
    all-metal build
    actually takes sim cards if you want to use that functionality and has full phone funtionality.

so the battery life won't match up to the very best and the cpu is not as good as the best but not bad either but this is a seriously good value option for a 10 inch size tablet with the ipad screen and good ram and storage. compared to the budget tablets in b&m shops here where they charge 200 for a 2gb ram, 16gb tablet with a rubbish cpu (30,000 antutu level) and poverty rez screen it's very good.

geekbuying are a reliable site - coming through Europe by dpd as I said - probably a week to process and deliver.

comment from respected tablet reviewer
    https://techtablets.com/2018/11/voyo-i8-retina-9-7-4g-tablet/

igeekphone-VOYO-i8-3.png

Comments

Received this and tested it out.

Screen is nice and with the form factor particularly suited for reading news apps e.g. Times and Sunday Times type app. Would work well for pdfs also.

Runs smoothly with the decacore helio x27 cpu - antutu score of 105,000 so about the same as a snapdragon 636.

The system comes very much stock android 8 Oreo with no bloatware apps at all.

The build quality is good - all metal except for a plastic bit at the top of the back side where the micro sd card and sim card access is. It's not heavy for the size. Very similar to the base ipad 9.7 inch really as it's the same retina screen.

The only bad point is the built-in speaker. It's fine for voice but not good for music really.

Battery life is reasonable at about 7 hours browsing / youtube / video.

Overall definitely worth the money for what you get for 150euro ( a bit less this week with some coupons on the site). (nice screen and size, decent cpu, 4gb ram and 64gb storage).

Delivery took a week coming from the PL warehouse.

As a bonus of course it can take a sim card (actually dual sim) but I have no need of this capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Is there a GPS installed?

there is no GPS on this no.

not sure why you'd want a large tablet for GPS navigation tho - for a boat maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Concerned Irishman

Hi Glasso, did you find any case for this tablet?

I was hoping for one of those rubber ones but all the socket holes would need to be in the right place.

The screen looks excellent.

Hi Glasso, did you find any case for this tablet?

I was hoping for one of those rubber ones but all the socket holes would need to be in the right place.

The screen looks excellent.

did you pick one up also?

it's a fairly new tablet (december 2018) so there aren't specific cases that I've seen yet.

one like this will work as the dimensions of the tablet overall as similar to the 10.1 tablets really but it's using clips and is not the perfect neat fit that would be obtained with a specifically designed option.

but it does give you the option to put the tablet vertically or horizonatally which most cases won't (usually horizontally only).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-ARCHOS-ACCESS-101-3G-10-1-inch-360-Degree-Rotating-Universal-Tablet-PU-Leather-cover/32948022975.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.19822e0eCez3kU

• Advertisement

this tablet that has a very good review has gps. 10 euro or so more expensive. a bit heavier but well built. actually has better battery life than the voyo one. also has hdmi out.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Teclast-T10-Tablet-4GB-64GB-White-Silver-405291.html

review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjgZM5Ohxd0

• Registered Users Posts: 15 alank90

i just ordered one for 144euro including delivery. how long did it take to arrive for you?

alank90 wrote: »
    i just ordered one for 144euro including delivery. how long did it take to arrive for you?

took a week. it comes by dpd courier but is going by road + ferry I think so not as quick as by plane (went Poland to Holland to Uk to Ireland afair). you will get a tracking number that should show updates a day or two after dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I put in a few discount codes and it increased the price, why was that? .. I got it for €153, that includes insurance.... Thank OP.. :)

I put in a few discount codes and it increased the price, why was that? .. I got it for €153, that includes insurance.... Thank OP.. :)

no idea - somebody got it for 144 today they said - there were some active codes on the main home page I think.

you should be happy with it I would say.

to make it sound a bit better there is are sound settings to turn off "loudness" and turn on "high fidelity". reduces max volume but sounds better I think.

the battery life is not exceptional at 7 hours video/browsing but also to reduce idle battery drain when not using turn on airplane mode and battery saver when turning off screen not in use - only takes a second from the quick settings drag down menu. and likewise a second to turn them off again when waking up from sleep.

probably worth using accubattery app (free) to set max charge to 93 % or so to reduce battery wear to keep capacity up over the years - the last 10% of charging hits the battery a lot in terms of wear and also takes the longest to do so not really worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Ordered one, been looking for a good spec tablet at the right price to replace my old Lenovo with Andriod 4.2 !

Thanks OP for the heads up.

Will AnPost deliver or will it be a Courier Company?

glasso wrote: »
    took a week. it comes by dpd courier but is going by road + ferry I think so not as quick as by plane (went Poland to Holland to Uk to Ireland afair). you will get a tracking number that should show updates a day or two after dispatch.

Ah, just seen this post, DPD. Do they leave it in your bin if you're not there to accept it?

Ah, just seen this post, DPD. Do they leave it in your bin if you're not there to accept it?

probably not. you may be able to pick an option to leave with a neighbour or something if you get in touch with them.

delivery is probably going to be in the morning I would say.

if you create a parcelwizard (dpd) account if you don't have one with same email address as ordering and same name and home address should be picked up on their system and you can "manage delivery" there with various options like pickup at a local pickup-point like a local spar or whatever - no extra charge even though it's through parcel wizard as you're not using their redirect service. it should come in on the "future deliveries" section a day or two before final delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

Just ordered one, thanks OP

Word of warning, use PayPal as my Revolut card's transaction was "declined" after they took the money from my account. I now have to wait 7-15 days for the funds to be returned.

sibersha wrote: »
    Just ordered one, thanks OP

Word of warning, use PayPal as my Revolut card's transaction was "declined" after they took the money from my account. I now have to wait 7-15 days for the funds to be returned.

well you can have your revolut card as your payment method in paypal. that's what I do. making sure paypal payment conversion is done by your card you get the revolut rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I need something like this for work but I have to have an attachable keyboard/stand for typing etc. Bluetooth won't cut it.
    Has anybody seen anything appropriate? I presume if there's difficulty getting a case then keyboards would be scarce?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭collybyrne

this tablet that has a very good review has gps. 10 euro or so more expensive. a bit heavier but well built. actually has better battery life than the voyo one. also has hdmi out.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Teclast-T10-Tablet-4GB-64GB-White-Silver-405291.html

review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjgZM5Ohxd0

Hi Glasso,

In your opinion is this a better unit than the one in the OP? I see it's Android 7 as opposed to Android 8 but yet it seems to have a better screen and battery. Also one of the reviews mentions Netflix doesn't work on it, would that be the case on the VOYO one also? I don;t mind the difference in price, just want to make sure I'm getting the best unit. Thanks for your help.

collybyrne wrote: »
    Hi Glasso,

In your opinion is this a better unit than the one in the OP? I see it's Android 7 as opposed to Android 8 but yet it seems to have a better screen and battery. Also one of the reviews mentions Netflix doesn't work on it, would that be the case on the VOYO one also? I don;t mind the difference in price, just want to make sure I'm getting the best unit. Thanks for your help.

Netflix will work on both but only on standard definition as very few tablets have the widevine level 1 DRM certification. Standard definition is 520p

The other tablet has a bigger battery but is heavier also. Both are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭collybyrne

Netflix will work on both but only on standard definition as very few tablets have the widevine level 1 DRM certification. Standard definition is 520p

The other tablet has a bigger battery but is heavier also. Both are decent.

Thanks for that, still not sure which one to go for. Both look like good deals in fairness.

• Advertisement

collybyrne wrote: »
    Thanks for that, still not sure which one to go for. Both look like good deals in fairness.

The screen bezels are smaller on the teclast also I suppose. Maybe go for that for the increased battery life.

the aspect ratio of the tablet is better for video in some cases (more of screen used)

Android version makes little difference day to day.

JCDUB wrote: »
    I need something like this for work but I have to have an attachable keyboard/stand for typing etc. Bluetooth won't cut it.
    Has anybody seen anything appropriate? I presume if there's difficulty getting a case then keyboards would be scarce?

Other teclast tablet has them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

icom wrote: »
    Ordered one, been looking for a good spec tablet at the right price to replace my old Lenovo with Andriod 4.2 !

Thanks OP for the heads up.

Got one myself great spec on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I ordered one too, do you know if prime video plays in HD or is it just a Netflix thing.

Cocoon wrote: »
    I ordered one too, do you know if prime video plays in HD or is it just a Netflix thing.

anything using widevine drm protection certification and requiring level 1.

as I said there are few tablets or phones with this certification unfortunately.

it's really only the flagship phones or tablets - 500 euro plus.

the base apple ipad is the exception or the amazon fire hd 10 (but that tablet has pretty low end specs really and is not full android but amazon's version - can be made to work with play store but it's not a perfect solution)

see netflix in HD section here

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23939

this pretty much rules out all chinese tablets. that's the way that it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

The OP’s tablet or the Lenovo Tab 4 8” Plus for €114.99 on the Lenovo website?

The OP’s tablet or the Lenovo Tab 4 8” Plus for €114.99 on the Lenovo website?

that's not a bad tablet if you want a smaller tablet.

internal storage of 16gb (16gb less android system so 10 really probably) is on the small side and adding an sd card doesn't solve it really as you still need internal storage for part of the app and some apps won't install onto sd card. sd card storage is also slower.

2gb ram not a lot in 2019 eiither.

so for a small tablet where you won't be installing many apps and / or not a lot of big ones it's decent.

bettery battery life than the voyo probably.

the best option for an 8 inch tablet is the mi pad 4 but that's 200 euro. check honorbuy to get it.
    top tablet though with a relatively powerful snapdragon 660, 4gb ram. 64gb storage and excellent battery life (12 hours easy).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

that's not a bad tablet if you want a smaller tablet.

internal storage of 16gb (16gb less android system so 10 really probably) is on the small side and adding an sd card doesn't solve it really as you still need internal storage for part of the app and some apps won't install onto sd card. sd card storage is also slower.

2gb ram not a lot in 2019 eiither.

so for a small tablet where you won't be installing many apps and / or not a lot of big ones it's decent.

bettery battery life than the voyo probably.

the best option for an 8 inch tablet is the mi pad 4 but that's 200 euro. check honorbuy to get it.
    top tablet though with a relatively powerful snapdragon 660, 4gb ram. 64gb storage and excellent battery life (12 hours easy).

Thanks for that. I went ahead and bought the Lenovo because of the screen size and it has 3gb of ram and I got a code from HUKD to make it €88.50 in total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Glasso, thread hijack, but looking at items on PCMAG website, decent tech for sale at an ok price, have you any experience of purchasing through this site? Only deliver to the US but can arrange sent to a friends address then DHL'd over

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote: »
    Glasso, thread hijack, but looking at items on PCMAG website, decent tech for sale at an ok price, have you any experience of purchasing through this site? Only deliver to the US but can arrange sent to a friends address then DHL'd over

haven't no.

but if it's stuff with good reviews elsewhere at a good price then go for it.

will have 10% sales tax on top of price I assume.

Advertisement