Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work Experience

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 cuppcakes!

Any ideas on where to go for work exp if interested in medicine??:confused:
    Applied to a few old folks' homes, none have replied bar one to tell me they couldn't take me.
    Am thinkin the health board centre but I dunno if they'd take me.
    Our school seems to have insurance problems with hospitals so can't go there.
    Really stuck tbh! Any ideas would be great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

cuppcakes! wrote:
    Any ideas on where to go for work exp if interested in medicine??:confused:
    Applied to a few old folks' homes, none have replied bar one to tell me they couldn't take me.
    Am thinkin the health board centre but I dunno if they'd take me.
    Our school seems to have insurance problems with hospitals so can't go there.
    Really stuck tbh! Any ideas would be great..

A Pharmacy?

jb91 wrote:
    A Pharmacy?

Yeahh I might if I don't get anywhere else just I wanted to get the whole hospital atmosphere and that..
    Like a pharmacy is more of a shop like.. And I dunno if I'd be allowed handle prescriptions..
    It's worth a try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I should start looking for work experience soon, we have to have forms handed back to co-ordanators by First week in October.

Anyone advise how I may obtain it? Sending a CV to a few places? Or calling into them?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Best job would be to call the places you want to work,

Sending in a CV would make them think you want a full-time job, not just work experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

this really is a piece of piss to do. simply phone up the place in question (you dont need a CV.. jesus, its for work experience, not to employ you full time :p )

just phone up the place where you'd like to go, ask to speak with whoever is in charge/high up and ask are they taking people on for work experience. if so, ask would they mind if they took you on if they have space. most places wont say no because they wont get a good rep then.

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I should start looking for work experience soon, we have to have forms handed back to co-ordanators by First week in October.

Anyone advise how I may obtain it? Sending a CV to a few places? Or calling into them?
    The best thing would be to email them, ring them up or call in and talk to them face to face. Just sound really interested in whatever the company does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

And of course present yourself well if asking in person :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Argh! I am now in desperate city! I have to hand in my form on the 21st and am going away on a school trip on wednesday so I won't be back until the 21st! That means I've 4 days to organize my work experience! 2 of them weekends! Anyone know of something IT? I've emailed like 5 places and gotten rejections or nothing back:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

I'm thinking of doing work experiece with a local solicitor , If i can ?

D'You think that would be possible ?

Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Conor108 wrote:
    Argh! I am now in desperate city! I have to hand in my form on the 21st and am going away on a school trip on wednesday so I won't be back until the 21st! That means I've 4 days to organize my work experience! 2 of them weekends! Anyone know of something IT? I've emailed like 5 places and gotten rejections or nothing back:mad:

Don't email - call in. Looking for the Work Experience position is part of the learning process - you're not supposed to do it by email from home.
    It's very easy say no to an email request, not so easy if you have a chirpy teenage face in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Ok I am in TY and want to get a work experience in Google. Does anybody have any useful contacts or know the best way to contact them about this.

Write to them, call into them, ring them, email them

Say you're a TY student in X school, say you do work experience, interest in IT, offer them a CV.

They didn't even email me back! :mad:

The problem is with email they can "pretend" they didnt get it.

Ringing or calling in is best option IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Give them a ring and don't really mention about the e-mail, otherwise they might just say they'll reply tomorrow;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

In our school we do work experience twice ... each lasting 3 weeks.

Did my first one in a local Community Centre where I played pool basically and helped out with the various other clubs. Hours were 2-6 most days monitoring the leisure room ha.

Did my second with 3 others in my class. We went to all the hotels looking for a job as we hadnt organized work experience as this was the wednesday and were due to start on the Monday.

Anyway we did promoting for the bar in the hotel. Basically gave out flyers from 12pm-1pm. We were let loose in the city centre. We were in Mc Donalds during that hour with other students on their lunchbreak. Handed out a few, the lads burned some of the flyers haha.

We all got 70 euro each at the end of the three weeks. Was some laugh but tbh we didnt learn a thing. Fella we were doing it for was hungover most days so told us we were grand so we went to Mc Donalds where we were going to go if we got posters or not.

But if i had my choice again I would get something I am interested in. I want to be a webdesigner or accountant or banker so tbh I wasted 2 valuable opportunities.

TY ruined me. Honest to god we all missed atleast 50 days school and didnt lift a pen all year.

Now im in 5th year and hoping i get 450+ in the leaving. eeeeeeeek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Im thinking of doing my 2 weeks Work Experience with a local Solicitor, Anyone ever done their WE with a Solicitor ? ? Whats it like ?

Barry.

I'll head out to a pharmacy or something now so. Let you know how it goes when I get home:)

UPDATE: Yes I got it! now I just need 1 more week:D:D:D

Has anyone ever been on work experience at a magazine?
    And is the work worthwhile at all or just fetching coffee and crap?

• Advertisement

Im thinking of doing my 2 weeks Work Experience with a local Solicitor, Anyone ever done their WE with a Solicitor ? ? Whats it like ?

Barry.

Most people that go to solicitors, architects and anyone thats used to working on their own seem to end up shredding paper, licking stamps, making tea etc.

Thanks for help guys. Do any of yous have contact details for google. There kinda hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

kronnn wrote:
    Thanks for help guys. Do any of yous have contact details for google. There kinda hard to find.
    Gordon House, Grand Canal Dock.

Pop in and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

Google Ireland Ltd
    Gordon House
    Barrow Street
    Dublin 4
    Ireland

Fax: +353 (1) 543-1001

:D:D

Thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

be sure let us know if you get it or not, i might try there if they offer work experience

I've emailed TV3, East Coast FM, Spin 1038, Metro, Bray People and Wicklow Times. So far I've only heard back from East Coast FM. All their work experience places are gone but they've kept my details in case anyone cancels.

Will type letters to RTÉ and INN tonight. I should get the 3 yeses I need.

2 replies to my emails so far. Neither East Coast FM nor Spin can take any more people for work experience until well into 2008 :(

To be honest, I've gotten a zero success rate with emails. Try dropping in somewhere, I've gotten one week by doing that and I still need another! Stress-tastic!

• Advertisement

After getting home yesterday I typed, sealed and stamped NINE letters to RTE, TV3, INN, Evening Herald, Wicklow Times, Bray People, 98fm, FM104 and Metro. I spent six feckin euro on stamps and I had to get them in the post before the last collection or they'd be sitting there til Monday so SOMEONE better say yes now!!!

If not, there's always Tesco :P

Advertisement