Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Induction Hobs

Options
  • 25-02-2021 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at upgrading to an induction hob but I'm having difficulty choosing one. They all effectively seem the same to me, except for maybe isolated features such as boost functions or shared zones. Not really sure what justifies a €700 hob over a €400 one.

Is there anything I should look out for or are they all effectively the same besides the extra features?

The one thing I thought might be a consideration is the individual zone kW rating. I assume that it's always better to go for hobs that have zones with higher kW's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clairlyagenius

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm looking at upgrading to an induction hob but I'm having difficulty choosing one. They all effectively seem the same to me, except for maybe isolated features such as boost functions or shared zones. Not really sure what justifies a €700 hob over a €400 one.

Is there anything I should look out for or are they all effectively the same besides the extra features?

The one thing I thought might be a consideration is the individual zone kW rating. I assume that it's always better to go for hobs that have zones with higher kW's?

Also looking at induction hobs and have come to the same question!
    Did you pick one, and if so are you happy with it?
    From what I can see, it seems like a mid range 400 quid one has mostly all you could want, and any higher is for the name/flashy features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Also looking at induction hobs and have come to the same question!
    Did you pick one, and if so are you happy with it?
    From what I can see, it seems like a mid range 400 quid one has mostly all you could want, and any higher is for the name/flashy features.

Yes, I did. A huge improvement over my old ceramic hob. Pots boil as quick as if not quicker than an electric kettle. I went for a fairly generic one. The only features it has are a "power" function, timer and a safety lock. Try to get one which has a high kWh rating for each ring to get the most out of your purchase.

I'd recommend a hob which has a "power" function. It increases the power and allows water to be boiled very quickly. Just be aware that it usually draws power away from other rings to allow it to heat up quicker, but it should only run for 1-2 minutes so shouldn't be an issue.

Also be careful of the ones which have two rings which can be used as one. Typically they're made up of two separate induction coils so you might have a dead spot in the middle between them which might not heat up as quickly/evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Not sure if it’s well known, but induction hobs can interfere with various medical devices, like pacemakers.

We replaced our hob and went with a new model ceramic to avoid any future problems if we needed anything like a pacemaker. New technology ceramic hobs are also extremely quick at heating water, and have boost functionality.

Advertisement