Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon UK no longer removing UK VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone want to explain this?
    95p - 20% UK vat = 79p
    shipped from germany, it becomes
    64p + 23% IE vat = 79p
    sIwpMz9.png

where are you seeing the option to ship from germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭zell12

where are you seeing the option to ship from germany?
    I ordered it, it is coming from Dormagen, Cologne DE
    Other low value items come from UK don't have the same vat oddness

I ordered it, it is coming from Dormagen, Cologne DE
    Other low value items coming from UK don't have the same vat oddness

if you order items from amazon UK that are below the VAT threshold and shipped from the UK then Amazon remove the UK vat. If the items are shipped from germany this does not apply.

if you order items from amazon UK that are below the VAT threshold and shipped from the UK then Amazon remove the UK vat. If the items are shipped from germany this does not apply.
    Then the 95p item should become 97p (20%->23% vat)
    Just a strange paperwork anomaly

Then the 95p item should become 97p (20%->23% vat)
    Just a strange paperwork anomaly

i see no option on amazon.co.uk to ship that from germany so I can't see what you are saying.

• Advertisement

i see no option on amazon.co.uk to ship that from germany so I can't see what you are saying.
    I ordered it on AmazonUK, tracking says it is coming from DE, invoice only becomes available after it is shipped.
    I'm highlighting there is a paperwork fudge with AmazonUK & vat, when the item is shipped from EU
    mCz0kHj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ You purchased in the UK. How Amazon fulfill the order has no effect on that price?

If you ordered from https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003Q13R28/ you would be paying allot more.

Why are you worried about a few cent, if it was an expensive item. I would see why?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ You purchased in the UK. How Amazon fulfill the order has no effect on that price?

If you ordered from https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003Q13R28/ you would be paying allot more.

Why are you worried about a few cent, if it was an expensive item. I would see why?

they are actually saving money. amazon are charging them the price less UK vat despite the fact it is fulfilled from germany. amazon should be charging them the 95p price.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I know the customs limit is 150.
    Thus I shouldn't have to pay an import fee?
    It says 'Import fees deposit' on it for the 18eur.

Edit..thanks to Whiterebel..I can see the 'import fee' is actually including Irish vat. I must check in future to see if the British vat is taken off when put into the basket.

Thanks again

You have to be extra vigilant as I have noticed that sometimes the VAT is removed, and other times it is not.

The say that if it is fulfilled by Amazon(including sold by Amazon) then the VAT will be removed.
    Some have suggested that it may be because the seller is not UK tax registered so not charging UK VAT (so can't be removed), and I guess that is possible but when it is a UK shop with a UK address with a distribution agreement with Amazon, I think it unlikely that they are not paying, and therefore collecting UK VAT...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ArrBee wrote:
    You have to be extra vigilant as I have noticed that sometimes the VAT is removed, and other times it is not.

If vat is being charged then it is always removed at checkout. Plenty of sellers aren't vat registered so they don't charge /collect vat. If vat isn't charged on the item then amazon cannot refund vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

ArrBee wrote: »

The say that if it is fulfilled by Amazon(including sold by Amazon) then the VAT will be removed.
    Some have suggested that it may be because the seller is not UK tax registered so not charging UK VAT (so can't be removed), and I guess that is possible but when it is a UK shop with a UK address with a distribution agreement with Amazon, I think it unlikely that they are not paying, and therefore collecting UK VAT...

I just bought a couple of small items.
    13 pounds each.
    When I went to checkout the vat seemed to be removed and each of them was about 11 pound.

However, looking at my checkout price the vat wasn't removed so I ended up paying British VAT and Irish VAT (through the import fee).

Not a huge thing but unless you can get it cheaper elsewhere what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

About to buy my first Amazon item over 22 euro since Brexit kicked in. Item is £60 so below the customs threshold of 150. Amazon are taking off the UK vat and then adding just under 12 euro 'import duties', is this the Irish vat? Have people found Amazon accurate with their import duties and that there is no more to pay upon delivery? It is through Prime so no delivery charges to be added on.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    About to buy my first Amazon item over 22 euro since Brexit kicked in. Item is £60 so below the customs threshold of 150. Amazon are taking off the UK vat and then adding just under 12 euro 'import duties', is this the Irish vat? Have people found Amazon accurate with their import duties and that there is no more to pay upon delivery? It is through Prime so no delivery charges to be added on.

the import duties are the irish vat. never been charged more than the amount specified by amazon and in a few cases have received small refunds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they over charge they'll refund you, I got a refund for a purchase a few weeks ago. Not sure how they work it if they under charge the taxes and duties, but I'd say they don't do that often.

the import duties are the irish vat. never been charged more than the amount specified by amazon and in a few cases have received small refunds.

cheers was just a bit confused at them calling it import duties instead of VAT. Good to know I shouldnt face any other charges. Was my first time buying anything over 22 quid since Brexit.

Am I right to say that for items under 150 euro pretty much nothing has really changed for us? Seems that way if they just take off the UK vat and apply the Irish rate.

Muahahaha wrote:
    cheers was just a bit confused at them calling it import duties instead of VAT. Good to know I shouldnt face any other charges. Was my first time buying anything over 22 quid since Brexit.

Calling it VAT or Irish VAT would be far better. There were several Amazon threads in January and February and I must have explained this dozens of times to posters. Many thought they were paying more for goods since Brexit when they weren't

yeah agreed, Id had done the maths and was 90% sure it was Irish vat but when they call it import duties immediately youre thinking it is customs duty.

Anyway good to know not much has changed at least for items under 150.. Is that 150 a permanent threshold or is it due to come down at some stage? I know they are planning on charging VAT on items under 22 euro sometime this summer I think, that will really take the fun out of lower cost items.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Calling it VAT or Irish VAT would be far better. There were several Amazon threads in January and February and I must have explained this dozens of times to posters. Many thought they were paying more for goods since Brexit when they weren't

It's called that to cover both vat and customs duties together in the event that the item is over 150. It's not just vat then.

It's called that to cover both vat and customs duties together in the event that the item is over 150. It's not just vat then.

I'm still waiting to get charged customs duty. I've had plenty of orders around the 500 euro mark for my business and still only charged around the 23 percent mark.

I am struggling to get customs receipts from them since January. I can claim the Irish vat back but need a proper breakdown showing the exact vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but I can confirm Amazon are automatically doing refunds if the actual VAT/duty is less than the estimate.

I just had a £0.01 refund applied to my card. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've just got 2 refund emails from Amazon for total of near £10 pounds for duty and VAT.
    Not complaining.

I have a business account. I've been chasing amazon for proper receipts for the vat so I can claim it back. Yesterday I started getting refunds or emails telling me that I will get refunded in the next few days. On my business account they are refunding the entire amount collected for duty. This is a dream come true. I don't even have to bother claiming vat back from revenue. Granted I'm only getting January to March so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just had a rather puzzling email from Amazon. I bought a router for €199.85 a few weeks ago. This included €37.37 "Import fees deposit", i.e. Irish VAT. The email is telling me I'm getting a full refund of the €37.37 with a reason of "Export fee reduced".

Amy idea what's going on here? Surely this is a mistake?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not like them to make mistakes. Just accept it and keep an eye out in case they come back again.

Just been through chat with what seemed more like an automated bot than a human being. Insisted that the amount minus the "import fees deposit" included VAT which it patently didn't. I gave up in the end, it's their problem not mine.

Alun wrote: »
    Just had a rather puzzling email from Amazon. I bought a router for €199.85 a few weeks ago. This included €37.37 "Import fees deposit", i.e. Irish VAT. The email is telling me I'm getting a full refund of the €37.37 with a reason of "Export fee reduced".

Not a business account by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Alun wrote: »

Same issue here, £114 refund on an iPhone 11.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not a business account by any chance?
    No, definitely not.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    No, definitely not.

I'm up to close to 1k in refunds this week. I assumed that it was because I have a business account.

I think we'll be getting emails saying that they made a mistake with the refunds so :(

Advertisement