Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sporina wrote: »
    unfortunately this can be true - bullies can sense a vulnerability in people.. and they get a buzz out of making them feel small - in an attempt to make themselves feel bigger..

not saying that this is the situation for jaxx though - sounds like he has lazy colleagues and possibly has to carry the can for them

I honestly do not think this is bullying. It is FEAR. People are terrified of any mental or emotional illnesses.

Hence the " snap out of it." Or. as one dear lady who was prone to depression etc said, " " Why cant you Just behave NORMAL. like.. "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Graces7 wrote: »
    I honestly do not think this is bullying. It is FEAR. People are terrified of any mental or emotional illnesses.

Hence the " snap out of it." Or. as one dear lady who was prone to depression etc said, " " Why cant you Just behave NORMAL. like.. "

sorry I was talking about in the context of bullying in general.. not necessarily to someone who suffers from depression/anxiety.. maybe just a lack of self esteem in general..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

PMBC wrote: »
    Anyone develop severe migraine as a result of anxiety?
    Some of the stuff I read talks about anxiety as a result of migraine and that seems very logical. But any cases of the opposite?

Last year, I was sufferings with some SERIOUS migraines. Took me a couple of days to recover from each one.
    How much of that was tied into lockdown and stress I can kind of guess.
    There may have been a few other factors too, but either way, the migraines were brutal.

Loud noises, bright lights, having to turn the TV down to very low levels because even the theme tunes of shows could drill into my brain.
    (I would literally drop an object I was carrying to cover my ears.)

Then afterwards, I get really confused in the brain, trying to understand what people say. It's like 'I know that's English, but I can't understand anything you're saying. I'm really sorry'.

Only thing you can do is take a pain reliever tablet, and hydrate. Lots of water. Sometimes a lucozade or sports drink helps.

It is known that mental illness can have a direct relation on the physical wellbeing of the body. And anxiety, at it's worst, can cause all sorts of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm kinna glad there was a move made on the AstraZeneca situation, my moods are definitely more unstable after it, and my fatigue is also worse

Anyone develop severe migraine as a result of anxiety?
    Some of the stuff I read talks about anxiety as a result of migraine and that seems very logical. But any cases of the opposite?

Migraine triggers are varied and complex and indiviual. In my 50 years of them. Some are just out of the blue. Mine are sometimes lack of food ie blood sugar drops.
    Many meds can cause them too.

More than anxiety too, RELIEF when anxiety ends can be a cause also .

So I don't think it is as simple as anxiety alone causing migraines. I went through massive traumas etc without a single migraine

Maybe anxiety contributes as we pay less attention to simple basic needs like rest and air and proper food.

I often wake with one - but that is probably my M.E related blood sugar problem.

• Advertisement

Last year, I was sufferings with some SERIOUS migraines. Took me a couple of days to recover from each one.
    How much of that was tied into lockdown and stress I can kind of guess.
    There may have been a few other factors too, but either way, the migraines were brutal.

Loud noises, bright lights, having to turn the TV down to very low levels because even the theme tunes of shows could drill into my brain.
    (I would literally drop an object I was carrying to cover my ears.)

Then afterwards, I get really confused in the brain, trying to understand what people say. It's like 'I know that's English, but I can't understand anything you're saying. I'm really sorry'.

Only thing you can do is take a pain reliever tablet, and hydrate. Lots of water. Sometimes a lucozade or sports drink helps.

It is known that mental illness can have a direct relation on the physical wellbeing of the body. And anxiety, at it's worst, can cause all sorts of issues.

I don't go with the anxiety/migraine connection - except that if you neglect to eg eat when you are anxious? Low blood sugar can cause or exacerbate.

Mine are "blessed" with severe vomiting. The last one saw me bringing up blood and being choppered hastily to hospital. As they say, in danger of a " catastrophic bleed" As in medical evacuation by Rescue118, my heroes!

There is better medication than there used to be. I can often divert it with Immigran Nasal Spray.

But we are all and each different - and we all and each agree that a bad migraine is a shade of hell on earth .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thank you all for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don't go with the anxiety/migraine connection - except that if you neglect to eg eat when you are anxious? Low blood sugar can cause or exacerbate.

Mine are "blessed" with severe vomiting. The last one saw me bringing up blood and being choppered hastily to hospital. As they say, in danger of a " catastrophic bleed" As in medical evacuation by Rescue118, my heroes!

There is better medication than there used to be. I can often divert it with Immigran Nasal Spray.

But we are all and each different - and we all and each agree that a bad migraine is a shade of hell on earth .

Possibly. I know there's every sort of thing that can happen with an anxiety attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

When I become very anxious I become like a rabbit caught in the headlights and I cant get started into work stuff - it involves, numbers, writing and drawing and other stuff.
    I find I get relief, as it allows me to take my mind off myself, by doing Sudoku. Strange! A crossword would probably suffice.

When I become very anxious I become like a rabbit caught in the headlights and I cant get started into work stuff - it involves, numbers, writing and drawing and other stuff.
    I find I get relief, as it allows me to take my mind off myself, by doing Sudoku. Strange! A crossword would probably suffice.

Whatever works. I knit! The worse I feel the faster I knit....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does anyone have any experience of melatonin?

Cheers
    Omt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Cheers
    Omt

Yes I got a prescription about a year ago, the first night I took it I slept for 10 hours, the second night it did nothing, I had to space out when I took it or it wouldnt work.
    My friend takes it and its worked really well for him. Everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭penovine

hi all,

Q for ye..

I started 30mg of Duloxetine 6 weeks ago... I feel I have started to feel a bit too happy.. if you know what I mean.. wondering if its the meds.. mind you, the weather is great and that makes a massive difference to me too but I think its more than that...

In any event, I know.. its better than being depressed but I have a lot of energy.. and it feels a bit unnerving...

Anyone else have this experience on antidepressants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

Cheers
    Omt

It worked for me in that I did sleep, but I'd feel so groggy the next day it just wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

penovine wrote: »
    hi all,

Q for ye..

I started 30mg of Duloxetine 6 weeks ago... I feel I have started to feel a bit too happy.. if you know what I mean.. wondering if its the meds.. mind you, the weather is great and that makes a massive difference to me too but I think its more than that...

In any event, I know.. its better than being depressed but I have a lot of energy.. and it feels a bit unnerving...

Anyone else have this experience on antidepressants?

I've had similar on SSRI's and SNRI's.
    All I can say is keep a mood diary each day, and keep your prescribing doctor (GP/consultant) informed about how you're doing, mood wise.

I ended up having mania symptoms for a long time on SSRI's without realising.

It's worth noticing how you are doing and maintaining contact with your healthcare professionals so, if you don't notice differences, they might from seeing/speaking to you over time.

On the extra energy, it's not the worst thing in the world I know (!) but trying to up your physical activity could help.

Exercise is always good and recommended for everything, but something like sticking on music that makes you feel like dancing, and letting yourself jig about for a few songs can help also.
    Shaking out a bit of energy can just regulate you a bit more if youre feeling jittery.

Also mindful activity - so not necessarily sitting down to do a meditation.. but if you have activities that you lose track of time while doing - that's mindfulness too.

Identify one or two things like that for you, if you can, and work them into your day. For me it's weeding/cleaning some days, otherwise a crossword or sowing seeds this time of year.

Hope it settles for you soon

If I could find a hole to climb into I would seriously consider it; but I have to keep going for the needs of others involved. Hence boards.

Our terrible ongoing tragedy in India atop of other issues. If I start weeping I will never stop and will drown. And in so much pain in my body also. Just all too painful. Nothing I can do to help folk with any of it.

May have to quit boards as someone is tagging me. In a nasty way. If they see this? Please stop. I would tell them OK I know you hate me for some reason; you have made your point. enough now. Scared to come on again now. I have reported it but he is crafty and makes it seem coincidental . On eight threads today that I have seen? Very conspicuous. I have deleted a lot of my messages accordingly.

You are all so much stronger than me in all this. Just all too much. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

If I could find a hole to climb into I would seriously consider it; but I have to keep going for the needs of others involved. Hence boards.

Our terrible ongoing tragedy in India atop of other issues. If I start weeping I will never stop and will drown. And in so much pain in my body also. Just all too painful. Nothing I can do to help folk with any of it.

May have to quit boards as someone is tagging me. In a nasty way. If they see this? Please stop. I would tell them OK I know you hate me for some reason; you have made your point. enough now. Scared to come on again now. I have reported it but he is crafty and makes it seem coincidental . On eight threads today that I have seen? Very conspicuous. I have deleted a lot of my messages accordingly.

Hi Grace, hope youre OK!
    Keep reporting whoever it is thats hassling you or maybe block them? I think that stops them from seeing your posts although im open to correction on that one.
    Dont let them bring you down, some people lack so much decency they enjoy hurting and annoying other people, id pity them because they must be so miserable in their own life they need to spend their time bringing down other people to lift themselves up! What a sad little existence that must be!

Youre stronger and more resilient than you think, this is just a bad day!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Report them. Or send a note to the category mod of the forum in which it is happening and include the posts (or post numbers from the threads where it has happened).

It's sad, 99 people could be nice to us and if one isn't it is the one we remember.

Hey Graces, we've all got your back here, don't leave on account of some asshole, bring it up with the mods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

oh big hug Grace, oh I hope it can be sorted.. would be easy to say, just ignore this person but I know that can be difficult..
    I hope the mod's can sort it out for you..
    Shame on them - its a bad reflection of them - not you..
    Take care of you.. x

• Advertisement

**** i made a mistake at work, but so did my boss but I know I'm going to get stuck with the blame. Didn't get chatting to him so going to face the firing squad tomorrow morning

**** i made a mistake at work, but so did my boss but I know I'm going to get stuck with the blame. Didn't get chatting to him so going to face the firing squad tomorrow morning

thats always a sh1te feeling, but ive always found its rarely as bad as i think its gonna be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Go in tomorrow morning and hold the hands up for your own mistake but I wouldn't mention your own boss mistake. A proper grievances procedure should mean they will also be accountable. If you fire them into the mix you could be making two sticks for your back.

statto25 wrote: »
    Go in tomorrow morning and hold the hands up for your own mistake but I wouldn't mention your own boss mistake. A proper grievances procedure should mean they will also be accountable. If you fire them into the mix you could be making two sticks for your back.

Now that I think about it, I'm not to blame, he is. So I should escape the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Now that I think about it, I'm not to blame, he is. So I should escape the worst of it

How did ya fair out OMT?

statto25 wrote: »
    How did ya fair out OMT?

It sorted itself out before I had to go to my boss :)

It sorted itself out before I had to go to my boss :)

i have a tendency to catastrophise myself, it doesnt help in such situations, happy days

How do you get motivation? I just get anxiety

How do you get motivation? I just get anxiety

to do what?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    to do what?

Anything really but specifically to study

Advertisement