Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
20-01-2018, 21:03   #1
Mayel
Registered User
 
Mayel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Transition year

Please help me. I'm not sure what to do, my school is offering transition year but the availability for place is only up to 72 people. Would transition year benefit me? I want to do it,but thinking of how much is it (it's around 500€ I think)..
Mayel is offline  
Advertisement
20-01-2018, 21:30   #2
donaldtramp
Banned
 
donaldtramp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayel View Post
Please help me. I'm not sure what to do, my school is offering transition year but the availability for place is only up to 72 people. Would transition year benefit me? I want to do it,but thinking of how much is it (it's around 500€ I think)..
Is this for next year? And €500 isn't that much compared to the price of books for other years. You generally won't need books for TY but that depends on the school.
donaldtramp is offline  
20-01-2018, 21:36   #3
Agent_47
Registered User
 
Agent_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 681
For what its worth, my TY son hates it and finds it a complete waste of time, he is 16 turning 17 shortly. I would have to agree as a parent.
Agent_47 is offline  
20-01-2018, 21:39   #4
donaldtramp
Banned
 
donaldtramp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_47 View Post
For what its worth, my TY son hates it and finds it a complete waste of time, he is 16 turning 17 shortly. I would have to agree as a parent.
Well maybe because he is a little too old to be doing TY.
You get what you put into it. If he goes out and finds work experience then it'll be beneficial and stand to him when he finishes school.

Sounds like he is too lazy to do anything and just sits around knowing that you don't mind. In that case, it's a waste of time and he's probably going to get into bad stuff if he is not occupied with stuff that will be beneficial to his future.
donaldtramp is offline  
20-01-2018, 21:41   #5
spurious
Category Moderator
 
spurious's Avatar
It very much depends how it is run in the school and what the student cohort is like. If they sit around waiting for things to happen, or teachers ot suggest things to get involved with, it will be a disaster, if they are the sort of students initiate things themselves and come up with their own ideas, it can be really good.

Ask the co-ordinator what sort of opportunities they envisage in the general plan.
spurious is offline  
Advertisement
20-01-2018, 21:45   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,091
I think TY can be excellent. I thought there were numerous benefits for my children who did it. I felt that the more effort they put in, the more opportunities they availed of, the more benefit they got from it.
clairewithani is offline  
20-01-2018, 21:48   #7
donaldtramp
Banned
 
donaldtramp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairewithani View Post
I think TY can be excellent. I thought there were numerous benefits for my children who did it. I felt that the more effort they put in, the more opportunities they availed of, the more benefit they got from it.
Yeah, lets face it, your son/daughter is either gonna get involved and benefit from the year, or complain about it and start smoking/drinking/taking drugs. It's a year which will make or break a child. I think their attitude towards the year comes from the parents, if they expect them to get involved then they will benefit from it and stay away from the vices.
donaldtramp is offline  
20-01-2018, 21:52   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldtramp View Post
Yeah, lets face it, your son/daughter is either gonna get involved and benefit from the year, or complain about it and start smoking/drinking/taking drugs. It's a year which will make or break a child. I think their attitude towards the year comes from the parents, if they expect them to get involved then they will benefit from it and stay away from the vices.
I am not sure if you are agreeing with my post or being sarcastic because of your exaggerations.
clairewithani is offline  
20-01-2018, 21:56   #9
judeboy101
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,193
Things to consider

1. Is work experience block or once a week

2. What subjects do they teach (many just use it as an extra yrs maths)

3. Do they go on weekly outings?

4. €500 is a lot, make sure for that you don't have to put your hand in your pocket for anything else.

5. Is it the same teachers every year that teach TY.
judeboy101 is offline  
Advertisement
22-01-2018, 20:19   #10
donaldtramp
Banned
 
donaldtramp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairewithani View Post
I am not sure if you are agreeing with my post or being sarcastic because of your exaggerations.
No sarcasm meant. TY is a great year for those who make it so, otherwise it will damage people's work ethic. It depends on the child doing it, most people would/should be mature enough to handle it but if not, they might turn to substance abuse.
donaldtramp is offline  
13-12-2020, 15:05   #11
Cionn80
Registered User
 
Cionn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 18
Hi, don’t want to start a new thread, but I want to hear some thoughts on the following. We have a son(15 since July) average to above average student, reasonably mature, outgoing. We are very sceptical about him doing TY. Have spoken to many parents in different schools with the vast majority of them saying that from experience they don’t think it is worthwhile. We are are afraid that especially with COVID that it becomes nothing more than a doss year. Is he better off staying going
Cionn80 is offline  
13-12-2020, 15:14   #12
Pistachio19
Registered User
 
Pistachio19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cionn80 View Post
Hi, don’t want to start a new thread, but I want to hear some thoughts on the following. We have a son(15 since July) average to above average student, reasonably mature, outgoing. We are very sceptical about him doing TY. Have spoken to many parents in different schools with the vast majority of them saying that from experience they don’t think it is worthwhile. We are are afraid that especially with COVID that it becomes nothing more than a doss year. Is he better off staying going
My son did it and didn't really get into it at all. He was happy to get into fifth year and back into a more structured year. My daughter did it last year and despite the disruption of covid from March, she enjoyed it and is glad she did it. I'd find out exactly what's planned for the year given possible restrictions next year but hopefully things won't be as restrictive as it is for this years TY classes. What does your son think about it?
Pistachio19 is offline  
13-12-2020, 15:45   #13
Cionn80
Registered User
 
Cionn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio19 View Post
My son did it and didn't really get into it at all. He was happy to get into fifth year and back into a more structured year. My daughter did it last year and despite the disruption of covid from March, she enjoyed it and is glad she did it. I'd find out exactly what's planned for the year given possible restrictions next year but hopefully things won't be as restrictive as it is for this years TY classes. What does your son think about it?
He is open minded enough. He is a little bit wary that some of his friends are doing it and he isn’t but he is friendly with guys in the year ahead too. He loves the craic so we worry about getting him back into a proper structure in 5th year if he does TY
Cionn80 is offline  
13-12-2020, 16:10   #14
Pistachio19
Registered User
 
Pistachio19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cionn80 View Post
He is open minded enough. He is a little bit wary that some of his friends are doing it and he isn’t but he is friendly with guys in the year ahead too. He loves the craic so we worry about getting him back into a proper structure in 5th year if he does TY
I found both mine settled back into study fairly quickly. If he's studious and has any bit of ambition he should be fine
Pistachio19 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet