Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's dedicate a thread to the positive things the traveling community bring to Irela

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You should be ****ing ashamed of yourself.

Nah I’m all good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Imagine being a young, blameless, Traveller

Give me a minute, i'm trying to, but some things are just so rare they are hard to even imagine. Can i be a unicorn who breathes fire and farts rainbows instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

This place is gone to da dags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I’ll get lambasted out of it for this, but once upon a time some travellers did useful things. The alternative name tinkers was because some would be able to mend pots and pans, which was a handy skill back in the day.

Some of them were also quite talented musically, look at the Fureys.

Very little to none of this exists now. What they are now is beyond a joke, they are a danger to themselves and a danger to others and the position they find themselves in our society is largely down to how they behave and treat others in that society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

14dMoney wrote: »
    Read the thread title. I'm trying to have a discussion about the positive aspects of the traveling community. Your comments aren't helping.
    If you were really bothered about discussing the positive aspects of the traveling community, you would have mentioned a few yourself.

So...where's your own list of 'positives which are always overlooked'.#?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

If you were really bothered about discussing the positive aspects of the traveling community, you would have mentioned a few yourself.

So...where's your own list of 'positives which are always overlooked'.#?

They provide a rich tapestry of old life in Ireland.

They preserve a nomadic way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Resorting to foul language. Tut tut. Probably learned from one of the call-out videos.

To be fair though, their call-out videos are genuinely hilarious. Sh*te in the Bucket, Kebab Balls and Junkies Bastard are like a Holy Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Welders with cavity blocks inside. A simple design.

How do you know bout the welders with cavity blocks on them?
    Were ya in the market for a cheap welder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

How do you bout the welders with cavity blocks on them?
    Were ya in the market for a cheap welder ?

Hopefully,they sell dictionarys too.

Here's a real one though, they've won multiple medals for this country in boxing. Olympics medals are a fantastic achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

They keep security firms in business, that kinda counts as a positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭randd1

- Call out videos
    - Country music festivals
    - Cheap caravans
    - Keeping the fake nail/boobtube/fake rhinestone/fast food industries afloat
    - Regularly test companies/housing security setups for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

And you have multi nationals like Apple robbing you and your country blind day by day, yet you choose to focus on something as small as a traveller stealing your phone. Bigotry.

Howya John.

They took loads of stuff out my skip last time which was very sound of them as it gave me extra room to pack more in. Didn't even inconvenience me by knocking on the door so I didn't really mind the rubbish strewn about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Imagine being a young, blameless, Traveller teenager and logging in to see all these constant anti-Traveller diatribes.

I suppose one positive is, none of the men are Woke. No such thing as, Woke Connors, or Woke Stokes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Do great deals on phonebooks, and provide laptop bags to hide said phonebook so you don't look like a pleb walking around with it in your arms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They know how to work with copper

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

What exactly is it about living with no electricity running water or sanitary facilities that is worth preserving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭randd1

Then why do they insist on having free houses?

randd1 wrote: »
    Then why do they insist on having free houses?

There's no such thing as a free house.

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    What exactly is it about living with no electricity running water or sanitary facilities that is worth preserving?

I wouldn't expect racists to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I wouldn't expect racists to understand.

How exactly is that racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thank you to everyone for any genuine contributions to the thread. There are other threads available for discussion of travellers. Seeing as very few people are paying attention to the op here and making genuine contributions, im closing this one up and you can go to the other threads in the forum, or to CA, instead.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement