Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post driver

Options
  • 15-09-2019 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

Just looking at making a post driver guys. I have all the bits here but just wondering how the ram is piped. Looking at other drivers the hammer ram is only piped to retract the cylinder. Is that correct. Can I just blank the top port or does it need a bit of a pipe of it like the attached. Not sure what this pipe does as no oil should be at this end if it's not piped.

Thanks in advance for the help

490658.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

happylad wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

Just looking at making a post driver guys. I have all the bits here but just wondering how the ram is piped. Looking at other drivers the hammer ram is only piped to retract the cylinder. Is that correct. Can I just blank the top port or does it need a bit of a pipe of it like the attached. Not sure what this pipe does as no oil should be at this end if it's not piped.

I'm no expert but if there's no oil that side, there'll be air. The air has to get out somehow?

This maybe completely wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Hi everybody,

Is it not to release air, mine has something similar, but I never see oil coming from it, tho the way it’s piped would suggest its for oil alright

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happylad

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes air release would make sence

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Yes for air plus they might be a small amount of oil as the seal wears

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Hi everybody,

That port is to let out the small bit of oil that leaks past the seal on the cylinder rod. It is mostly air that comes in and out there as the rod moves up and down. As the seal wears, more and more oil will come out here. A good idea whoever came up with it. Might aswell put the oil to good use to lubricate the moving parts.

What did you use to make up the weight?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

I work in an engineering workshop so I have had my name on the punchings out of the machine and bits like that. I made the bottom and top out of a 20mm plate so hopefully should be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

What did you use to make up the weight?

Led shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I work in an engineering workshop so I have had my name on the punchings out of the machine and bits like that. I made the bottom and top out of a 20mm plate so hopefully should be good enough.

I've heard that some lads pour in some dry sand to fill in the spaces around teh bits of metal. Takes the noise out of it.
    Attie Ross wrote: »
    Led shot.
    This is what the manufacturers use.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Hi everybody,

Yes, the oil is piped into the retract side of the cylinder, simply because that side of the cylinder takes a lot less oil to fill, so it will empty faster when you release the oil, allowing the hammer to fall faster. The pipe on the top just drains away any oil that might get past the seal, as already said. Another thing to make sure of is that you have a fairly wide diameter hydraulic pipe going to the ram. Again, this is to let the oil back faster.....

I put sand in around the punchings and I stitched a 10mm plate to break the height of weight up 3 times. Prob overkill but I pressed in down and stitched it around it. I done this 2 times up the height of the weight. I was afraid the loose punching would start rattling around inside. I put a 20mm cap plate top and bottom.

Hopefully it works ����

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I put sand in around the punchings and I stitched a 10mm plate to break the height of weight up 3 times. Prob overkill but I pressed in down and stitched it around it. I done this 2 times up the height of the weight. I was afraid the loose punching would start rattling around inside. I put a 20mm cap plate top and bottom.

Hopefully it works ����

Don’t be afraid to post a picture

Advertisement