Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blink XT Cameras

• 01-07-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Currently on Amazon UK for half price ,( single camera, one camera set and two camera set) if you've prime. There is a newer model (XT2) coming soon but half price is savage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Have you used them , reviews are not the best so interested if anyone here has used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

jamesd wrote: »
    Have you used them , reviews are not the best so interested if anyone here has used them.

I've 4 of them around my house for the last 2 years. Very happy with them.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have a 5 camera set (and and XT2 on the way) and very happy with it. My little fella even managed to knock one off with a sliotar and it still works grand. I have to external XTs and 3 internals.

It's a great system for me (being wireless) and never any issues with the app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks OP.
    This'll be my third Blink.
    One each internal and external.
    Very happy with them. Very easy to set up and use and picture quality is very good.
    I have mine linked to my Google Home hub and use voice commands to turn on and off. Really handy if you don't want to use the app or have a set schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

For those of you who have the blink cameras, how do you find the battery life? Do they really last 2 years?

I went ahead and ordered the twin pack anyway.

If they are no good, I'll send them back

Cheers OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Read on the Amazon review that tgere was a security concern. Has anyone experienced this?

Also the motion sensor - reports that there was serious lag between motion detected and recording.

The battery life would interest me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Had my eye on these for a while.

Will test them now that they're half price

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Ordered a single camera to try them out. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Ordered one to see how it compares to my ring cam, does anyone know if they come with a mounting bracket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

harr wrote: »
    Ordered one to see how it compares to my ring cam, does anyone know if they come with a mounting bracket?

From the questions it appears the bracket is included

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭PreCocious

I haven't used them but I was humming and hawing last week about getting them as an addition to my Arlo cams (which are fairly pricey). Luckily I waited. With the price drop they're well worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I have 2 of these and I think there great but don't think that they are a CCTV system, there is no continuous recording and there is a lag before the recording function starts. There is no SD card facility to watch your recording and you are depending on their cloud feature.

At that price they're great value probably better than the newer XT2 which when launched in the US got really bad reviews and were pulled of the Amazon US store and are now unavailable.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/10/18659588/blink-xt2-smart-camera-amazon-halts-sales-mixed-reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I have mine six months and no battery issues.
    I've tested both my cameras and found the lag to be negligible and they ping to my phone in under a minute.
    The cloud stores footage for several months and you can download footage from it onto your phone/tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Anyone got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Just grabbed the two pack, thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Thanks OP, I bought a 2-camera pack and an add-on camera. In the past the 2 main factors that had kept me away from buying a set of IP security cameras were cost, need to subscribe to a monthly plan and the need to run a power cable to the unit. It looks like this product addresses all 3 quite well. The price is attractive enough to give it a try and see if some of the limitation are relevant for my use cases. I don’t mind a few seconds delay between the motion sensor activation and the start of recording as I intend to install one at my front door (just to see who shows up when I’m not there) and 2 on the ground floor of the house, so in both cases people (unlike moving vehicles) would likely stay “in-frame” for more than just a few seconds. I’ll try the IFTTT integration to see if it can trigger my Philips Hue lights, both inside the house as well as on the one on top of my front door. If this works well then it would make the night vision feature largely redundant which is another one of the draw backs.

I was told about this product by the CEO of the company that supplies them technology that allows for extremely low energy consumptions (the tech is called SOI, Silicon on Insulator for the nerds out there). I had checked the product on Amazon a few weeks ago but was put off by some of the negative reviews. At this price the risk/reward is far more attractive and as other have said, I can just return it if it doesn’t work properly. I’ve seen reviews were people returned the product to amazon several months after having bought it so I think this is a relatively low risk purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone know if these are better than the yi home cameras?

I have a yi home facing out the window onto the driveway but I'm liking the look of this blink camera. My WiFi will be strong for where I'm putting it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

garion wrote: »
    I've 4 of them around my house for the last 2 years. Very happy with them.

I've ordered a pack of 2, thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

iggy wrote: »
    Anyone know if these are better than the yi home cameras?

I have a yi home facing out the window onto the driveway but I'm liking the look of this blink camera. My WiFi will be strong for where I'm putting it.

Thanks

From the description:

Please Note
    Does not work through glass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm tempted considering the price. Anyone knw what the wifi connectivity is like and battery life? Amazon reviews differ on battery life. Some say months, others say weeks and manufacturer says 2 years. I presume that further from router would hurt battery life.

I'd be putting them in the fascia of a 2-storey house and don't fancy clambering up a ladder every couple of weeks (or even every couple of months) to replace batteries.

Pique wrote: »
    I'm tempted considering the price. Anyone knw what the wifi connectivity is like and battery life? Amazon reviews differ on battery life. Some say months, others say weeks and manufacturer says 2 years. I presume that further from router would hurt battery life.

I'd be putting them in the fascia of a 2-storey house and don't fancy clambering up a ladder every couple of weeks (or even every couple of months) to replace batteries.
    Not sure about these but take the official battery life with a pinch of salt I have a ring cam and it was meant to have a 6 month battery life but even from the get go I was lucky to get 4 and it’s now down to one month.
    Plus it all depends on how busy the area is and how often the camera will be triggered.
    On another note where you are putting the camera is not the best position because all you will see is the top of people’s heads and if someone is wearing a hat or hood up you will see feck all... try put it some where lower down.

Pique wrote: »

I've had 2 years battery on the supplied batteries on all 4 of my camera. I just purchased new lithium AA batteries today for them. I just have mine on a nightly schedule of 10pm - 7am. Probably 2-3 activations a week, usually rabbits, birds or the odd spider that crawls across the lense! Picks up people without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've had a pair of XT cameras for 6 months now. They work great. Far more reliable (battery and Wifi) than the Ring doorbell they replaced. Just be aware, the mount is extremely flimsy and someone could easily pluck the camera off the mount, if they wanted to. No PC access, just via mobile apps.

I've had a pair of XT cameras for 6 months now. They work great. Far more reliable (battery and Wifi) than the Ring doorbell they replaced. Just be aware, the mount is extremely flimsy and someone could easily pluck the camera off the mount, if they wanted to. No PC access, just via mobile apps.

It won't make it any more secure but there are 3rd party mounts available like this that'll add additional flexibility with placement and angles.
    I have mine mounted high so will be harder to remove if anyone tried. No theft issues in the 2 years I've had mine thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Just ordered one - going to see how it works instead of a ring doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

thejaguar wrote: »
    Just ordered one - going to see how it works instead of a ring doorbell.
    Obvious, but they don't operate like a doorbell and don't look like a doorbell, so I don't have mine placed on my front door. I replaced my sh1tty doorbell with... a doorbell. These cameras are now in my backgarden, mostly monitoring my cat, neighbours cats, some terrifying radioactive spiders (infrared), magpies, and the occasional up-close of a bumblebee.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

Just bought the 2 pack, thanks OP.
    Was looking at getting the nest iq camera, this is working out an awful lot cheaper, if it does the basics well.....

• Advertisement

Obvious, but they don't operate like a doorbell and don't look like a doorbell, so I don't have mine placed on my front door. I replaced my sh1tty doorbell with... a doorbell. These cameras are now in my backgarden, mostly monitoring my cat, neighbours cats, some terrifying radioactive spiders (infrared), magpies, and the occasional up-close of a bumblebee.
    You can set these to work with an echo so if you place it at front door your echo will alert you.
    I have a ring cam not a ring doorbell and have it connected to a chime so works just like a doorbell.

Advertisement