Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRC 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Next year will be very interesting. I wonder is Loeb giving the two fingers to the PSA Group after overlooking him for a WRC drive and pulling their WRC program.
    I hope Breen gets a seat but it’s not looking too promising at the minute. Hopefully there might be room in M-Sport for a few rounds at least.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

So far it’s

Toyota with Tänak, Latvala and Meeke
    Citroen with Ogier and Lappi - only two cars confirmed and a third currently been ruled out.
    Hyundai with Neuville being confirmed. Sordo, Paddon, Mikkelsen and now Loeb all rumoured to play some part.
    M-Sport with Suninen confirmed but may only run one car. Breen and Evans said to be in discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Think Evans will get the other M Sport seat, it's looking great for Paddon in Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Loeb is off to Hyundai. Official announcement tomorrow.

I'm sure you all know but just in case you missed it Meeke and Nagle have split and Seb Marshall will navigate for Meeke next year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Very intriguing year ahead. Can't wait to see if Ogier can wrestle the Citroen to success, or if Meeke can stay on the road with the Toyota, or if anyone can beat Loeb! Would also be great to see Breen get sorted with Ford but that's far from certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Hyundai now have 5 drivers on the books, Citroen are only running two cars and M-sport might not compete at all. Lots of talented drivers but not enough cars for them to drive. It's a shame because 2018 was so close between a lot of teams and a lot of drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Confirmed by himself on twitter, Paddon will not be taking part in the WRC in 2019. He was offered 1 drive but turned it down. Just hope the same does not happen to Breen.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Hyundai now have 5 drivers on the books, Citroen are only running two cars and M-sport might not compete at all. Lots of talented drivers but not enough cars for them to drive. It's a shame because 2018 was so close between a lot of teams and a lot of drivers.

I hate to say it, but I think R5 is the way to go in WRC. The current cars are great to watch and look at but when you have so many drivers wanting to drive but not enough seats, something has to be done. Apart from Toyota, the top WRC teams have R5's. Throw Skoda and Volkswagen into the mix, a few national drivers form which ever country the WRC is in and you could have between 10 and 20 drivers fighting for the win. Looks at M-Sport, they are in the business of selling rally cars. They are never going to sell anymore than 5 current WRC cars. They sold 1 to Mads but even he found it to expensive to run. If the R5's was the top car in WRC, I'd say M-Sport could have a 3 car team with paid drivers promoting their products. Thats the way I look at it, maybe others have different ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

It's a shame to see Paul Nagle without a seat next year.

Does not look like M-Sport will be running a WRC next season. Friday is the deadline and they don't have the finances.

M-sport are looking for an Entry Deadline extension.
    Drivers with bags of money required.

Mads Ostberg on twitter. At the airport looking for a new job. Didn't say where he was going but I have a feeling he could be heading to the UK.

Does Ostberg have a big bag of cash with him? He must have some serious resources if he is going to prop up M-Sport for a season in WRC.

Does Ostberg have a big bag of cash with him? He must have some serious resources if he is going to prop up M-Sport for a season in WRC.

Well he's not short of cash that's for sure. Bought a Fiesta worth €700,000 - €800,000. Reports are that he spent €500,000 on rally Finland 2017 alone last year. If he's able to find that amount of cash I'm sure Mr Wilson would only be to happy to help him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

masit wrote: »
    Well he's not short of cash that's for sure. Bought a Fiesta worth €700,000 - €800,000. Reports are that he spent €500,000 on rally Finland 2017 alone last year. If he's able to find that amount of cash I'm sure Mr Wilson would only be to happy to help him out.

Serious bobs behind him. Was it 2016 he was able to run the whole season as a privateer?
    He's probably my favourite driver after Breen, always has a smile on his face and seems to be great craic. Don't think he's near good enough to ever win a championship but more than capable of a few podiums and the odd win.

Apparently Mads is in Belgium testing a Skoda. Looks to be at a track on cooper tyres so could be WRX for him.

How does he finance himself? Is his family minted?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How does he finance himself? Is his family minted?
    His father has a number of business interests in insurance and gambling.

• Advertisement

Scott Martin moving onto co-drive with Evans so could be a sign of Breen with no drive next year.

A year away from rallying mightn't be a bad thing in Breens case.

liam7831 wrote: »

I think he is at a similar level to Breen. Neither of them are top top drivers. Loeb and Ogier have proved that this season that in the same cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

h3000 wrote: »

It is harsh but the expectation from Hyundai was titles with the amount of cash they are spending.
    I wonder if the issues with Mikkelsens contract the final straw?

mjhickeyie wrote: »
    It is harsh but the expectation from Hyundai was titles with the amount of cash they are spending.
    I wonder if the issues with Mikkelsens contract the final straw?

It suppose it's the price he has to pay for failure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

masit wrote: »

His father Morton Ostberg is an extremely wealthy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

liam7831 wrote: »
    It suppose it's the price he has to pay for failure

If Neuville had his head screwed on a bit tighter they'd have at least a drivers title in the bag by now. Loeb will be a massive addition to the cause over the next 2 years.... He will win rallys.

• Advertisement

Monte Carlo first stage live on BT Sport now. Tanak is fastest so far. Suninen off the road. Mikelsen 37 seconds off Latvalas time.

Advertisement