Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggestions for something nice to do with my parents

• 17-01-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

It will be the anniversary of my brother's death in a few weeks. He died a long time ago of cancer when he was only 5 and I always like to spend the day with my parents. It helps them with their sadness to be with the rest of their children (those of us that can, some live abroad, others have work, etc) and do something rather than spend the day at home sad and upset.
    This year the anniversary falls on a Saturday and if the weather was nice I thought it would be a good idea to head off for the day, see a nice country house or some such, have lunch and then head for home again.
    We'd be heading out from Meath, greater Dublin area though, so most places are within reason I imagine. Rossborough House and Slane Castle we've already seen a good few times.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. How far would you be willing to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. How far would you be willing to travel?

Anywhere really. Don't want it to be an overnighter but a full day would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yesterday I brought some visitors to Dublin on a day trip around south Dublin/Wicklow mountains.

Went to Powerscourt House, and spent about an hour looking at the gardens (absolutely gorgeous, even in the depths of winter), then a lovely lunch in the Avoca Café there, then drove down through the Sally Gap to Glendalough and had a short walk by the lake (car park closes at 4pm, which we didn't realise, if you arrived a bit earlier you can do any amount of walks of varying lengths).

A really lovely day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Powerscourt House, you have have lunch in either Avoca overlooking the gardens or in the Ritz.

the gardens and house are stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you're at all interested in sciency stuff, Birr Castle is worth a visit. A small museum of the various scientific endevours that went on as well as the Great Telescope...

• Advertisement

Anywhere really. Don't want it to be an overnighter but a full day would be fine.

How about somewhere over the border and around Northern Ireland? Some fantastic scenery up there! Like Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge. If not there, Sligo has some impressive landscapes like Glencar Waterfall and Lake. The pictures on it dont do much justice, you have to be there to see it, its so beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

what about a walk around the lakes in glendalough or if the weather is bad a drive thru the wicklow/sally gap then lunch in the wicklow heather resturant in laragh, its a favourite with my family tho you would be better off to book a table as it gets very busy http://www.thewicklowheather.com/

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your suggestions yesterday. I had a think about them all last night and may opt for the Birr Castle suggestion. Its somewhere none of us have been before and by all accounts the coffee shop they have there is quite nice too as are the gardens.

Do you have to factor in a trip to the cemetery?

Do you have to factor in a trip to the cemetery?

Thats only a 5 minute walk from my parent's house so it is usually done in the morning. :)

• Advertisement

If not there, Sligo has some impressive landscapes like Glencar Waterfall and Lake.

Glencar is in Leitrim.

I haven't been to birr castle but looks lovely.
    I would recommend wexford too. Hook head, tintern abbey and a trip to kilmore quay for fish and chips is a really nice day out.
    Have a nice day whatever you decide OP. I love that you do this, I hope that my daughter is as kind to me when she's older :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Be aware the cafe in Birr Castle is closed until 12th March.....

A bit closer for you perhaps, and always a great day out with plenty going on, with the walk of life in Japanese gardens, the horses tour, the gardens of Fiachra etc would be the National Stud. www.irishnationalstud.ie

Well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I assume if you're coming from Meath you've been to the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre? But it might be nice if you haven't been before.

If you were willing to drive a little further, there's loads to do in Kilkenny- the Castle and the Design Centre across from it are gorgeous and you're spoiled for choice with brilliant places to eat. Plus there's Duiske Glass or Nicholas Mosse pottery just a short drive outside Kilkenny too.

Take a look at this website for loads of ideas of places to go:

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

What you're doing is so thoughtful and lovely- I hope whatever you end up doing that you enjoy the day too.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Glencar is in Leitrim.

Yup its bordering Sligo and Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What about Huntington Castle its in Clonegal at on the Wiclow/Carlow border and its a relay quirky place,( the founder of the Temple of Isis lived there ) however I am not sure if its open at this time of the year.

Advertisement