Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yoga For Runners

• 07-04-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I did a search and didn't come up with anything. Just wondering what type of Yoga would be best suited for someone with a background in running. Standard stretching after a run is not enough and I would like a gentle stretch of the legs, back etc once a week and I thought yoga would be ideal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

My yogi running instructor friend recommends yin yoga to her students. If you're in Dublin, I've seen some studios run (pun intended :pac:) special workshops for runners. Anything hip=opening is especially good as running tens to tighten the hips.

I run, and I already have tight hips, and I love hip opening poses, rubbish though I am at them :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hermione* wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, I've seen some studios run (pun intended :pac:) special workshops for runners.
    Would be very interested in one of those if there's one coming up.

Would be very interested in one of those if there's one coming up.
    Next time I see an ad for one, I'll drop you a PM! :D

I've also found that the control yoga gives me over my breathing really helps when running.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

hey Hermione, took up yoga before xmas and love it but I don't have a clue when it comes to names of moves or different types of yoga. Is yin a reference to a few different moves withing a yoga routine? Or is it a complete routine on its own? Sorry if they are stupid questions:rolleyes:. Would be interested in a course that was based around runners too.

Cleanman wrote: »
    hey Hermione, took up yoga before xmas and love it but I don't have a clue when it comes to names of moves or different types of yoga. Is yin a reference to a few different moves withing a yoga routine? Or is it a complete routine on its own? Sorry if they are stupid questions:rolleyes:. Would be interested in a course that was based around runners too.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question! :D

Yin yoga is a style of yoga. It's very, very hard to find yin yoga classes in Dublin though :( Any hip-opening workshops would be good, though. Poses like Pigeon
    2845-32.jpg can help also.

Hope that helps:)

• Advertisement

cool. Thanks, think I get the idea. Exactly the type of stretches I need to do with my stoopid stiff glutes and hips:D I'll keep an eye out for any workshops;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

There's a fundraiser for Japan in Samadhi in Temple Bar this Sunday http://www.samadhi.ie/yoga-dublin/japan_fundraiser.html.

They have a hip opening class from 2-3pm :)

Brilliant. Thanks Maeve. I just emailed them there to see if there is a place available. It's for a good cause too.

Brilliant. Thanks Maeve. I just emailed them there to see if there is a place available. It's for a good cause too.

Hey Cleanman, did you enjoy the class? We had a great day, 5 hours of yoga stuff... no wonder I'm tired :)

MaeveD wrote: »
    Hey Cleanman, did you enjoy the class? We had a great day, 5 hours of yoga stuff... no wonder I'm tired :)

Hey Maeve, I didn't actually get to go on Sunday. Ended up being out of Dublin for the weekend so missed the whole event. Was it a success? I'll have to get my hip opening yoga fix some other time:P

• Advertisement

Hey Maeve, I didn't actually get to go on Sunday. Ended up being out of Dublin for the weekend so missed the whole event. Was it a success? I'll have to get my hip opening yoga fix some other time:P

It was a great sucess, the classes were all full.... over 2K raised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SaraYoga

Hiya,

To my knowledge, yin yoga basically means a practice that release/restoring and focuses on opening fascia and holding patterns in the body. Whereas a strong/strength building alignment based practice would be more yang in nature.

Typically yin postures are help for a long time (3-5minutes).

Namaste, Sara

Thsi looks like a great workshop for runners http://sunrise.ie/index.php/Workshops/free-your-hips.html

I'd love to go, but I have plans, boo :(

Thsi looks like a great workshop for runners http://sunrise.ie/index.php/Workshops/free-your-hips.html

I'd love to go, but I have plans, boo :(
    Thanks for this Hermione. This looks ideal for someone like me with incredibly tight hips. I'm visiting my folks in the west this weekend so won't be able to go either. If anyone else here attends, any feedback on the workshop would be appreciated.;)

I noticed this on one of the many yoga sites I frequent :o

"Wednesdays
    7:30 – 8:45 PM, Dublin Holistic Centre, Yoga for Runners
    Yoga session specifically catered for runners. Focusing mainly on legs, glutes, hips and core abdominal strength. 4-week course from June 1st, Only €50 (drop in €15)."
    http://www.hushyoga.com/classes/

"Wednesdays
    Yoga session specifically catered for runners. Focusing mainly on legs, glutes, hips and core abdominal strength. 4-week course from June 1st, Only €50 (drop in €15)."

Fabulous! Would seriously consider giving that a go.

Fabulous! Would seriously consider giving that a go.
    Wow, that was fast, Kirby :pac:

I might do it myself. Sounds like a good class.

"Wednesdays

It's in my diary. Thanks Hermione

"Wednesdays

Got an email through this morning to say that this is cancelled due to lack of numbers. :(

Got an email through this morning to say that this is cancelled due to lack of numbers. :(
    Oh no! :(
    I hadn't booked my place yet but I know people who had. She's a great teacher as well - I did a workshop with her before. Maybe email them to register your interest in similar classes/workshops, Kirby?

That's very disappointing. I guess it's a bit of a niche market :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

I just started Bikram yoga to go alongside some half marathon training. I've ran halves before and I've also done yoga before for relaxation. I wanted to do something as part of my training to improve strengh, focus, etc. so I decided to try Birkam. You stretch out really well and believe me your first class is incredibly tough! So it's still early days, but I think yoga definitely makes a nice complement to any running training. Some interesting stuff on runner's world about it too http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/yoga-runners

Advertisement